MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft upgrades Xbox Live with 40 entertainment services, live TV, and Kinect voic Chad Gaming 0 12-05-2011 03:33 AM
Live Jazz obama General Discussion 3 10-10-2009 07:30 AM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
Got Xbox LIVE? AnguishedEnd Gaming 38 11-18-2008 07:48 AM

How much does it take to live comfortably

Old 04-14-2013 at 03:24 PM   #16
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Livin' and lovin' life under the poverty line! Heh... we do it with style.

Nah, in all seriousness, I don't plan to have kids so that right there makes me something like $200 000 richer (and going up) than those who raise their kids to 18. Marriage... eh, speaking as a jaded poster child of divorce who was raised by an incredibly independent single mother, I'm gonna say that if it happens, he needs to have his own income, and I will have my own, so I'm not going to factor that in. I choose to live car-free (for as long as possible) which also cuts down on my expenses.

I'd be happy earning about $40K after taxes. I don't need extravagance. I need a roof over my head, some leisure money and a bit to tuck away for a rainy day.

Chevalier, RyanC, Yogurt like this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:26 PM   #17
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Wait, are we discussing what we need to live comfortable, or what we want in order to live comfortably?
'Cause I don't know about you, but, for me, those are two very different numbers...:.)
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:35 PM   #18
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^what dont u understand from his postÉ

hopefully if i ever get married, my partner and i can combine for 100k+. thats assuming shit dont get inflated like crazy and wages dont go up.
I wasn't talking to you, so I don't need clarification from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I'm not aware of many routes that guarantee salaries near 200k.
Oh, that's quite unfortunate for you then..and many others. :/
Anyway, that wasn't the point of this thread, so if you want to delve more into it, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:38 PM   #19
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I think a big part of it also depends on where you will be living. For instance, comparing downtown Toronto to a small town. You would probably be able to live at the same comfort level in a small town as Toronto but at a lower price.

So as an individual income, I'd say about 50k to 75k should be good.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:39 PM   #20
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post

Anyway, that wasn't the point of this thread, so if you want to delve more into it, feel free to PM me.

I'm actually pretty okay with my future earning potential. I'm just trying to see where your confidence is coming from. There's a lot of talk about big salaries in business, and while they may exist, they are far from a certainty.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:41 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I'm actually pretty okay with my future earning potential. I'm just trying to see where your confidence is coming from. There's a lot of talk about big salaries in business, and while they may exist, they are far from a certainty.
That's really good for you. The point of this thread isn't to see where my confidence is from coming from. The OP asked for asked for a number, and I gave mine. Cheers.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:41 PM   #22
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yea I want average too I guess. But a "nicer" house would be good and enough savings for some investment. Prob 70-90k after factoring future inflation
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:42 PM   #23
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
That's really good for you. The point of this thread isn't to see where my confidence is from coming from. The OP asked for asked for a number, and I gave mine. Cheers.
You're talking like a thread on an internet forum matters.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:44 PM   #24
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Yea I want average too I guess. But a "nicer" house would be good and enough savings for some investment. Prob 70-90k after factoring future inflation
What would you define as a nicer house in your own terms?
For me it would in general have to be quite spacious and all hardwood. I can't stand the feel of carpets anymore haha.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:45 PM   #25
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Condescending much?

Yogurt likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:46 PM   #26
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you, so I don't need clarification from you.

i dont care if u didnt need clarification from me specifically. i do my best to answer questions on this forum for ppl who are confused. why are u offending if i try helpin u. and i was also curious how someone who understands english couldnt understand that post. if u need help to understand things u shouldnt rely on just 1 person. we are a community here.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:47 PM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
i dont care if u didnt need clarification from me specifically. i do my best to answer questions on this forum for ppl who are confused. why are u offending if i try helpin u. and i was also curious how someone who understands english couldnt understand that post. if u need help to understand things u shouldnt rely on just 1 person. we are a community here.
Then don't care. Cause clearly you do by replying back.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:51 PM   #28
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Then don't care. Cause clearly you do by replying back.
uhmm i care about ppl on this forum being confused. i will help them even if they dont want my help because i dont care if they dont want help from me. that is what i dont care about. i obviously care about replyin to ppl being confused. how did u not understand that from my postÉ u are confused about what i care about.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 03:53 PM   #29
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Wait, are we discussing what we need to live comfortable, or what we want in order to live comfortably?
'Cause I don't know about you, but, for me, those are two very different numbers...:.)
I agree. There is a huge difference between what you need and what you want.

Needs are the basics, what you need to survive is much less than what you need to live comfortable which is much less than what you want to live comfortably.

That is why I asked what it is that you need to live comfortably and what is that comfort level. that way we can asses what truly is need and what is want.

to elaborate on my previous post.

What i would NEED to live comfortably is a roof over my head, 2-3 meals a day (im odd, i typically eat one big meal in the middle of the day and then snack/lunch at other times), a satisfying** job, and enough to go out every now and then.

What i would WANT to live comfortable is either a house(if married) or a nice apartment, 2-3 meals a day, a satisfying* job, enough to travel (i dont like resorts and such, more like backpacking around so cheap travel), and maybe a pet/kid (admit it, they are the same)

From these criteria (as well as others which i havent listed), I would think that i would NEED 40k after tax and i would WANT 60K after tax. If i were to get married i would expect for my spouse to have a job and i would be more than happy with 80-100k after.

... this is of course at the current level. (not considering inflation and all that)

just to give an example

right now my family consists of 4 people. my dad has a full time job and my mom works part time. Before tax income is roughly 120k, and comes out to be 80k ish after (I think). We live a very comfortable life; a nice house, travel locally and to the states every summer and abroad every now and then, neither my brother or I work and my parents income is enough to get us through school and provide because they planned well.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 04:04 PM   #30
RD123

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
And I agree with Fight. right now, as a student, i don't really have an idea of how much it takes to live a comfortable lifestyle, but, if I were to think of a number I would go with 50-60k. That is without kids and single. that is also only my income. If i were to get married, than together I think having around 100k, wouldn't be too hard, and we could live quite well.

so... are the numbers you mentioned just your own earnings or the combined with your spouse.

Hey Chevalier! If you don't mind, could you please Check you Macinsiders inbox for a minute. Thanks!!