Music 2II3 jordan19 Academics 0 07-02-2009 03:27 AM
Music 2II3 Justin Leary Academics 1 04-23-2009 01:23 PM
Music 2II3 (Pop music):Seat Available Junebug Academics 1 09-15-2008 12:41 AM

Music 2ii3 with Dr. Fast

Old 05-27-2011 at 12:14 PM   #1
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Music 2ii3 with Dr. Fast
Hi, has anyone taken music 2ii3 with Dr. Fast? How is her teaching style and here tests? Also do you need any prior knowledge for this class? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:02 PM   #2
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Yes. She's entertaining. Tests are easy, m/c tests with some listening examples. No prior knowledge. Bird class.

Short and sweet.

LBJ.MVP says thanks to Phil for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:06 PM   #3
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

Just took it last semester. It was definitely my favourite class at the time, and possibly my favourite since being at Mac. Usually its a night lecture 7-10, and no tutorials. Dr. Fast's teaching style was good, she didn't move too fast or slow. She was really knowledgeable and passionate, too - she actually wrote an entire book about Led Zeppelin. She answered pretty much every question and when she couldn't the class would discuss it.

She didn't post her slides online, and the slides themselves were only really an outline of what she goes more into when she talks. This was one of those classes where it was good to bring a laptop, since you'll probably want to write down pretty much everything she says (but don't be intimidated, she's talking about music so its not complex ideas that you really need to chew on, you just roll with it). She plays the songs we discuss in class from her iPod and shows videos of live performances as well.

The subject matter was really interesting, since the course is basically about the history of rock and roll music. If your a music buff you'll most likely do really well, as the stuff you learn will supplement alot of stuff you already knew and artists/songs you've probably encountered. If you don't have a lot of prior music knowledge, don't worry (even though you probably know more than you think!). As long as your interested in music, you'll be golden. The two main things discussed in the class are A) the actual elements of the songs we listen to: rhythm, melody, instrumentation, etc. then B) the social and historical contexts which shaped the music during its time (and vice versa).

The tests are EASY if you read over your notes at least a few times beforehand. For the 2 midterms, she begins the tests by playing 4 songs and you answer a few questions about each song on the midterm as you go along. Then the rest of the time is just simple multiple choice. I'd say the listening portion of the middy is the harder part, but definitely manageable if you listen to the songs on her class playlist (provided online) - focusing on the ones she actually played in lecture. No listening test for the exam though, just 100 MC questions. It helps to study in groups to quiz each other on names of artists and other important people in the recording industry.

All in all, I would recommend this class to anyone and everyone considering it. I loved it. One thing though: good luck getting into it. Music 2II3 is really popular, so you'll either have to beat everyone else to it on course registration night or keep trying a few times a day, every day until you get it.

LBJ.MVP, rcmp1234 all say thanks to spenceman91 for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:14 PM   #4
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

are there any readings btw? like is their stuff exclusively from the readings and not on the lecture thats is tested?
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:19 PM   #5
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah, there's a required textbook. There are a few questions she pulls directly from the book but its mostly supplementary info, but good to read. I actually enjoyed reading it myself

LBJ.MVP says thanks to spenceman91 for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:19 PM   #6
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

yeah you have to do the readings. there'll be a few textbook exclusive questions on each test/exam. but the readings are pretty light.

LBJ.MVP says thanks to paperplanes for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 03:19 PM   #7
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

I didn't read anything and also didn't study for tests and got a B or so. It's purely lecture material.
Old 05-29-2011 at 07:07 PM   #8
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

do you need to have any prior knowledge in music?? I dont have any exposure to music and im not sure if I should take this course. what do you learn specifically in the course? Do i have to be able to read music notes or anything like that??
Old 05-29-2011 at 07:34 PM   #9
tylerearl

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
do you need to have any prior knowledge in music?? I dont have any exposure to music and im not sure if I should take this course. what do you learn specifically in the course? Do i have to be able to read music notes or anything like that??
Are you capable of reading?
Old 05-29-2011 at 08:45 PM   #10
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

of course, but i dont know what your getting at...
Old 05-29-2011 at 09:08 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
of course, but i dont know what your getting at...
I think tylerearl was just implying that you don't need any prior knowledge or exposure to music. The only thing you need is to read the textbook/lecture notes and that should suffice. Nothing to do with being able to read musical notes and whatnot

tylerearl says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.