MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate the person above manaya General Discussion 4 04-25-2010 06:37 PM
Is it a good idea to sign a lease when you are short one person? sinthusized Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-16-2010 10:20 AM
Cheap, CLEAN, single person apartments near mac lawleypop General Discussion 17 11-05-2009 01:51 PM
The mysterious number: 6174 sarahsweet General Discussion 2 01-13-2007 03:05 PM

Mysterious deaf person at Thode

Old 12-18-2009 at 12:38 AM   #16
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Wow, I feel so stupid right now.

So this guy has been doing this for a while now eh... I guess the best thing to do is notify security and the librarians, which I will do.

I've also edited my first post to include details about this guy. Don't get robbed like me!

Thanks for posting guys.

P.S. Matt, remove that link lol. You’re going get a lot of people angry at you.

Last edited by Kevin S : 12-18-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:47 AM   #17
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Why so cynical everyone?

Technically you 'paid' for the sign language chart...which whether or not the guy was deaf himself, is a service to deaf people (of which, Mac has some).

Either the guy is legitimately deaf, in which case it's $2 toward a noble cause, or the guy is trying to con you out of two dollars...meaning the guy is probably not very well off, desperate, and would probably deserve your charity nonetheless.

Come on, it's Christmas people...do you have any idea how much you're 'scammed' by holiday pricing? A lot more than 2 bucks.

You saw the guy later and he looked like he wanted to laugh? Perhaps you made his day...I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't be so charitable.

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-18-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:53 AM   #18
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Yah, he comes by once in a while, may be twice a year? or yearly? Seen him twice now at Thode.

As for donating, it's charity and those card things are pretty awesome, and he gave a pen too last time. Wrote my midterms with that pen lol .
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:58 AM   #19
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Why so cynical everyone?

Technically you 'paid' for the sign language chart...which whether or not the guy was deaf himself, is a service to deaf people (of which, Mac has some).

Either the guy is legitimately deaf, in which case it's $2 toward a noble cause, or the guy is trying to con you out of two dollars...meaning the guy is probably not very well off, desperate, and would probably deserve your charity nonetheless.

Come on, it's Christmas people...do you have any idea how much you're 'scammed' by holiday pricing? A lot more than 2 bucks.

You saw the guy later and he looked like he wanted to laugh? Perhaps you made his day...I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't be so charitable.
Yeah but he shouldn't be coming into libraries like that asking for money...what if he was armed?

Old 12-18-2009 at 01:09 AM   #20
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Yeah, I saw a guy doing that at the student centre earlier this year...I think, in September. I remember when I was in Ottawa last summer, my family encountered some man doing the exact same thing.
Old 12-18-2009 at 01:45 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Yeah but he shouldn't be coming into libraries like that asking for money...what if he was armed?
And what if he was made of chocolate? If we start asking hypothetical questions, the situation degrades quite rapidly.

An act of charity is an act of charity...regardless of when and where.
Old 12-18-2009 at 01:51 AM   #22
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
OMG. Why was I curious enough to click? WHY.

Anyway, I did that last year.. I gave a toonie too. It was a middle-aged lady in Health Sci. I love Sign Language, and I wanna learn it.. but I realized that $2 for that card which I could have gotten for free off the Internet. But oh well, I'm too gullible sometimes. I guess I was just being nice. Meh.
Old 12-18-2009 at 02:10 AM   #23
DarkReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Why so cynical everyone?

Beggars are probably more well off than you. There were documentaries about this where people would actually beg instead of working because it pays more. Some say that they earn on average $100 a day.

A businessman offered to give these beggars a $20 an hour job planting trees. Almost all of them quit.
Old 12-18-2009 at 02:25 AM   #24
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

I have heard about this as well. How is it possible that similar incidents have occured for abt 3 yrs now? Wouldn't anyone have already reported about the incident already? And seriously this is freaky..I wouldn't want strangers tapping on my back and asking for money/charity when I am studying in library(where I should be feeling safe!!). And the "suspicious smile" makes it sound more scary!

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-18-2009 at 08:21 AM   #25
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hahaha, I've seen this guy a couple times in Toronto.Total scam dude. That's so weird though, I never knew he (or more people) did this out of town.

And ew, why is he going around on campus!
Old 12-18-2009 at 08:33 AM   #26
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

This same guy showed up to my math class last year in JHE. Seemed genuine and not a scam. He just handed the cards out and if people had spare change they'd give it. I'm sure if this guy wasn't legit, campus officials would have caught on by now and done something about it.
Old 12-18-2009 at 09:36 AM   #27
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

of course I would click that link and get rick rolled. ughhhh

as lawleypop said, people like this are EVERYWHERE in Europe! I was in Paris and saw the group of women get together in the street, dump the money they had already gathered, and then split up. in every city I've been to there have been people like this - except their cards usually just say that they can't speak English, and then they obviously target those people they hear speaking English.

in the end it's your money. you can make the decision whether to donate to someone or not.
Old 12-18-2009 at 10:00 AM   #28
DarkReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
This same guy showed up to my math class last year in JHE. Seemed genuine and not a scam. He just handed the cards out and if people had spare change they'd give it. I'm sure if this guy wasn't legit, campus officials would have caught on by now and done something about it.
What made you think he was genuine?

If you can't sign back, you can always scream in his ear when he's least expecting it and see if there's a reaction. Of course, you'll look like an idiot doing it.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 10:14 AM   #29
bigmac

Liked: 1 Time

he approached me in thode basement last year. i asked if he had change for 5$ and he nodded...
Old 12-18-2009 at 10:16 AM   #30
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
he approached me in thode basement last year. i asked if he had change for 5$ and he nodded...
Could be a lip reader.

I was interrupted by one of these guys when I was studying in thode in first year... was kind of intimidating. I don't study in libraries anymore, but if I did and this happened to me again, I'd definitely say "no", and report him.

I don't care if he's actually deaf or not, he shouldn't be soliciting in the library; soliciting students no less.

Jake, Kevin S like this.