MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate the person above manaya General Discussion 4 04-25-2010 06:37 PM
Is it a good idea to sign a lease when you are short one person? sinthusized Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 02-16-2010 10:20 AM
Cheap, CLEAN, single person apartments near mac lawleypop General Discussion 17 11-05-2009 01:51 PM
The mysterious number: 6174 sarahsweet General Discussion 2 01-13-2007 03:05 PM

Mysterious deaf person at Thode

Old 12-18-2009 at 11:50 AM   #31
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

yeh you got robbed. its a shame that people have to go around acting like they have a disability trying to make money of it for their own pleasure.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:48 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I don't care if he's actually deaf or not, he shouldn't be soliciting in the library; soliciting students no less.
Exactly. There are signs all along the basement of KTH saying anyone found soliciting students will be asked to leave immediately.

Why is it okay if he's deaf?

Why does him being deaf make him any more financially worse off than your typical student? Wanna throw money away? Give it to me. 2 bucks could go a long way.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-18-2009 at 12:56 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Mac actually doesn't allow soliciting on campus, so it can be reported and the person removed.

Someone did it in MUSC last year, and I reported them, and they were removed. They then had a hard time trying not to talk. I found it amusing.

But yes, they 99% of the time are scammers...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Kevin S likes this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:59 PM   #34
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Could I sit on the floor on campus where lots of people walk by, and not say anything? with a box of change sitting in front of me?

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 01:43 PM   #35
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Could I sit on the floor on campus where lots of people walk by, and not say anything? with a box of change sitting in front of me?
By definition, that would be panhandling. I can't find any policies on the website about panhandling specifically, but since it involves implied transaction of money, it could fall under "commercial activit", on which the policy is:

Quote:
Commercial activity, i.e., the sale of merchandise and services on campus, shall be restricted to:
·Outlets or organizations owned and operated by the University for such purpose, e.g. Hospitality Services, Titles Bookstore;
·Recognized University campus organizations; e.g. McMaster Students Union, Graduate Students Association, McMaster University Staff Association, McMaster Symphony Orchestra;
·External companies under contract or agreement with the University; e.g. Financial institutions, Credit Union, Travel Services;
·Except as noted above, no group, organization, or individual shall engage in commercial activities on campus without written permission of the Vice-President (Administration), or his/her delegate (currently Conference Services). Such activities will not directly compete with existing university services (ie. Bookstore), unless the permission of the appropriate service or department is obtained by Conference Services. Full rental fees will apply for all activities of a commercial nature;
·Commercial and education filming on campus is governed by Guidelines for Filming at McMaster University (Appendix C), and is co-ordinated by the Public Relations Office and Conference Services.
Since, by definition, you aren't saying anything it wouldn't be considered solicitation and could not fall under that policy.

Your actual intent wouldn't be considered unless you were caught, asked to leave the campus, and then you took the action to court. McMaster would ultimately win however since the land is private and McMaster can remove whomever they want.

Last edited by Taunton : 12-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 at 02:04 PM   #36
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

alright, thanks for looking that up. and since people report stuff i guess, probably won't last long at it no matter my actual intent. did it once for about 10minutes as an experiment/art sillyness made a bit over $5. People kept asking what is this for? what charity is this for?

Afzal likes this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 03:33 PM   #37
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

I was approached by the same man a couple of weeks ago in Thode and also in the Momac last year.
Old 12-18-2009 at 11:49 PM   #38
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Mac actually doesn't allow soliciting on campus, so it can be reported and the person removed.

Someone did it in MUSC last year, and I reported them, and they were removed. They then had a hard time trying not to talk. I found it amusing.

But yes, they 99% of the time are scammers...
Who'd you report them to?
Old 12-18-2009 at 11:53 PM   #39
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

There are at least 2 different guys. One in health sci last year and one in mills this past year (October-ish).
Old 12-19-2009 at 12:29 AM   #40
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post

I ALWAYSSSSS get curious and open links. >.<
rick rolled, definitelyy, haha.
good song, though.

Old 12-19-2009 at 12:31 AM   #41
Kevin S

How did the 1K03 exam go Monica?
Old 12-19-2009 at 12:39 AM   #42
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
How did the 1K03 exam go Monica?
Lmao, we really should be talking about this on the math exam help thread, lol,
but you were right!
It was similar to the tests, though there were a couple challenging ones that pissed me off.. lol
ugh, and the freakin engineering guy sitting RIGHT beside me talking himself through the whole test wasn't helping at all, lol.
but yeeah, um, not sure how I did.
Not GREAT, I know that. but not horribly bad, either.

Old 12-19-2009 at 12:42 AM   #43
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Kevin, by any chance, do you if this guy has a bicycle? I swear I saw someone just like him today when I was walking into Thode lol

Old 12-19-2009 at 01:04 AM   #44
Kevin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Lmao, we really should be talking about this on the math exam help thread, lol,
but you were right!
It was similar to the tests, though there were a couple challenging ones that pissed me off.. lol
ugh, and the freakin engineering guy sitting RIGHT beside me talking himself through the whole test wasn't helping at all, lol.
but yeeah, um, not sure how I did.
Not GREAT, I know that. but not horribly bad, either.
I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Kevin, by any chance, do you if this guy has a bicycle? I swear I saw someone just like him today when I was walking into Thode lol
I'm not sure :p
Old 12-19-2009 at 01:07 AM   #45
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
I'm sure you'll do fine.
LOL, if you say so.
if I actually DO do well (which I doubt),
I will give you cookies.

hahaa