MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course advice mizz.s. Academics 4 09-03-2010 09:55 PM
Advice arathbon Academics 16 05-22-2010 04:22 PM
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Need advice

Old 01-01-2011 at 01:25 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Need advice
Hello

So my brother lives in saudi arabia right now he is grade 11

he studied grade 2 to grade 7 in Canada

and then grade 8-9 in suadi arabia in an international school ( SAT)

then grade 10 in Canada and now he is back in saudi for grade 11

He wants to become a dentist so he wants to go to mcmaster or uft for his undergrad

What should he do for grade 12 ( he will be living in Saudi Arabia)

What should he study

his school is certified by CITA ( no idea what it stands for)

I tried contacting some emails from people at admissions in Mcmaster but no one is repleying to my email ( feel like their ignoring me)

if you know any one

just write their email or If any one has been in the same problem

What you guys think I should do?

Thanks guys
Old 01-01-2011 at 01:54 PM   #2
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I don't know what to recommend but the reason why people from admissions aren't replying is because everything is pretty much shut down for the holidays until monday. So you might get a response after the weekend has ended.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-01-2011 at 01:54 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Academic Requirements:
2 or 3 years of university undergraduate studies with a mid 80%

Class of 2013 average based on best 2 years prior to admission 89.09%

A Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) is required. (For additional information, please contact Schulich Dentistry
for their specific requirements as well as the Canadian Dental Association at (613) 523-1770,
or at www.cda-adc.ca)

6 units (1 full course) – Biochemistry (e.g. *BIOCHEM 2EE3, BIOCHEM 2B03, BIOCHEM 2BB3).
6 units (1 full course) – Human or Mammalian Physiology - (the combination of BIOLOGY 3U03 and
3UU3 has been approved by Schulich Dentistry).

3 units (1/2 course) – Organic Chemistry (e.g. *CHEM 2OA3 or CHEM 2OB3)

This is taken from the admission requirements to the UWO Dentistry program.. UoT is pretty much the same.

What he should be taking now in school is grade 12 bio, and chemistry and whatever requirements he needs for McMaster admission into whichever program he wants to do for undergrad.

You should be researching into schools (post-grad) that have dentistry programs.. he can complete his undergraduate requirements at McMaster but I don't think they have a Dentistry program.

TLDR: High average, 6 units of biochem, human/mammalian physiology, and organic chemistry, in addition to the Dental Aptitude Test.

mfattal says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 12:40 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Grade 12 doesn't determine his admission to dentistry. All that dentistry looks at is undergrad. Tell him to look through the programs/majors that interest him at U of T and McMaster (Life Science, Health Studies, Human Biology, etc. And according to the admission requirements, he should take the required courses in Gr 12. Once he gets to university, then he should look into dentistry. It's way too early now- at least in terms of requirements

mfattal says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 03:22 AM   #5
mfattal
Elite Member

Thanks guys but I am wondering what he should do for Grade 12

he is not Inc Canada but he is Canadian citizen

He is going to be in grade 12 next year in saudi arabia

Should he do online school? or studying at the regular school hear ( it is certified by CITA)

Thats the major problem but thanks for your help on the other topic

thanks in advance

Last edited by mfattal : 01-02-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2011 at 08:34 AM   #6
ayiri

Liked: 7 Times

What kind of system does the school run on? Is it an american system, an IB(international baccalaureate) or a gce system? McMaster has some specific requirements based on these systems as well as a few others that can be found by navigating this page http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/requirements.html, by clicking on the image that says international students. I have a feeling that if it is one of these big three then he shouldn't have any problems with applying from a school in Saudi as long as he meets the requirements. If it is something else than i would suggest waiting to hear back from the registrar.

Im Canadian and i did my highschool at an American school in Kuwait. It wasn't really a problem applying, except for that i had to pay a lot to mail the required documents out.

Hope that helps!

mfattal says thanks to ayiri for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 09:19 AM   #7
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayiri View Post
What kind of system does the school run on? Is it an american system, an IB(international baccalaureate) or a gce system? McMaster has some specific requirements based on these systems as well as a few others that can be found by navigating this page http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/requirements.html, by clicking on the image that says international students. I have a feeling that if it is one of these big three then he shouldn't have any problems with applying from a school in Saudi as long as he meets the requirements. If it is something else than i would suggest waiting to hear back from the registrar.

Im Canadian and i did my highschool at an American school in Kuwait. It wasn't really a problem applying, except for that i had to pay a lot to mail the required documents out.

Hope that helps!

your just what i was looking for

How did you do the application process?

He is in american school In Saudi arabia

Did you pay international fees

Thanks for your help
Old 01-02-2011 at 10:59 AM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post

Thanks for your help
Oh I get it, sorry I don't think I understood your question earlier! The application process is done online, like any international applicant. The application is done online. All the information and application link you can find here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/intappl.htm Most schools in KSA have the american program, but what's the program at your brother's school? As for international fees, does he have the Canadian citizenship since he lived in Canada for a number of years before, or no? If not, he'd have to pay international fees (fees according to faculty are in the link above .

mfattal says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 01:11 PM   #9
ayiri

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post

Thanks for your help
Hi again. Basically I made sure that I followed all the requirements on this page (which you've probably already found yourself) http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /futur...erican-hs.html.

There are requirements on what classes he should have taken, what minimum percentage grade is required (here is a link that gives you an incomplete list of the conversion of the percentages that McMaster wants to the GPA that may be offered at his school http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/entrance.html) and most importantly taking the SAT or ACT.

With the SAT once you've gotten your results they can be sent directly from the SAT website to McMaster. I think I Fedexed my highschool transcript to McMaster sometime before December of my grade 12 year and then they were mailed a final transcript at the end of my grade 12. Know that McMaster will never mail you anything, any communication that they give you will be by e-mail only.

If you are a Canadian citizen no matter where you have lived or went to school you will pay Canadian citizen fees (which is what I pay), not international student fees.

I hope that all made sense haha.

Edit: i totally forgot about this haha

like sara said before u do any of this stuff you must make sure u complete the online application which is found hereee http://www.ouac.on.ca/ . your brother would complete the ouac 105 application

Last edited by ayiri : 01-02-2011 at 01:14 PM.

mfattal says thanks to ayiri for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 01:51 PM   #10
mfattal
Elite Member

thanks for your help guys

do you have an email of some one In Mcmaster ( admissions people) Just so I can confirm it

Thanks Sara and ayiri
Old 01-02-2011 at 05:27 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Here's all the contact information for the Office of International Affairs:
McMaster University
Alumni Memorial Hall, Room 203
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA L8S 4K1

Tel: (905) 525-9140 begin_of_the_skype_hi ghlighting (905) 525-9140 end_of_the_skype_high lighting, extension 24700
Fax: (905) 546-5212
Email: [email protected]

International Admissions Inquiry [email protected]
<- go with this email

And you're welcome! Best of luck for your brother