MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thieves stealing... paperplanes Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 09-12-2010 09:55 PM
First year and dealing with MUGSI and SOLAR Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 10:35 PM
Dealing with Homesickness rrtt Residence & Off-Campus Living 8 09-21-2009 07:49 AM

need advice on dealing with thieves

Old 01-29-2011 at 01:59 PM   #1
teresa

Liked: 0 Times

need advice on dealing with thieves
My housemate and I are having some issues with other girls in our house as they constantly steal our food. We've already told our landlord about it and he has told people NOT to open other people's fridges (because we have separate fridges for each group of 2-3 people) but this problem doesn't seem to stop. They've stolen our alcohol, milk, juice, ice cream, took a bite out of our cake (so we had to throw it away) and the list goes on.... These people don't listen and we don't know what to do about it.

My housemate and I were thinking of telling the landlord that we refuse to pay the rent or threaten my other housemates that we'll call the police on them. Seriously, we've lost more than a hundred dollars in groceries and alcohol and you wouldn't normally go to a grocery store and drink w/e you want and take a bite out of things without being arrested so why shouldn't they in this case?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:06 PM   #2
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

You've tried talking to them, and they still continue to steal?
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:07 PM   #3
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa View Post
My housemate and I are having some issues with other girls in our house as they constantly steal our food. We've already told our landlord about it and he has told people NOT to open other people's fridges (because we have separate fridges for each group of 2-3 people) but this problem doesn't seem to stop. They've stolen our alcohol, milk, juice, ice cream, took a bite out of our cake (so we had to throw it away) and the list goes on.... These people don't listen and we don't know what to do about it.

My housemate and I were thinking of telling the landlord that we refuse to pay the rent or threaten my other housemates that we'll call the police on them. Seriously, we've lost more than a hundred dollars in groceries and alcohol and you wouldn't normally go to a grocery store and drink w/e you want and take a bite out of things without being arrested so why shouldn't they in this case?

it depends was the ice cream chocolate or vanilla?

alh24, IWannaGohere, ruby101 like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:09 PM   #4
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Start adding laxatives to your diet. *nudge nudge*

alh24, icecubz, IWannaGohere like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:11 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Start adding laxatives to your diet. *nudge nudge*
Is it wrong that this would actually be my approach to handling that situation? Probably, eh?

I don't think you can legally refuse to pay rent because of this. It's not the landlord's fault your housemates are stealing. It seems like a bizarre thing to bring the police into, although threatening it may be enough to make them stop. I know someone who has a lock on their refrigerator for similar reasons, but unless your fridge has two doors I suppose that would be kind of hard.

That's a tricky situation, indeed.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:36 PM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Get mini-fridges and put 'em in your rooms.

Did you confront the girls upfront? Maybe confront them with the landlord being there.

Also, you can request the landlord to tell those girls to move out and find new tenants.

Probably a good idea to talk to the off-campus housing people at Mac (basement of MUSC).

Goodluck.

edit/

For funsies, you should put laxatives into some cupcakes and offer it to them. It's been done before. A lot of laxatives so you shit water for hours on the toilet. Do it before they go to class so they don't **** up the toilets at home.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:38 PM   #7
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa View Post

Teresa, get a small fridge that you can keep only in your room. They are cheap nowadays too. Thats the only option for the rest of the year.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:40 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Leave a full smirnoff with rohypnol added to it in one of the fridges.

you're welcome

alh24, doug, shes-a-diva* like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:41 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I wouldn't deliberately give them laxatives. I think there's actually a law about giving people medication...
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:43 PM   #10
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I wouldn't deliberately give them laxatives. I think there's actually a law about giving people medication...
There's a law about stealing, too, but I suppose "an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind." Stupid morality-based sayings...
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:44 PM   #11
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

I wouldn't refuse to pay your rent as it will just annoy your landlord and could get you into legal trouble.

A lock is the best solution, even if it is a one door fridge. Just get one of those hinge locks and screw one end on the door and the other on the side.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...t=hinge+lo ck

alh24, arathbon, Joey like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:46 PM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
There's a law about stealing, too, but I suppose "an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind." Stupid morality-based sayings...
Well that and I can see people getting in a lot more trouble for administering medication to unknowing victims than stealing food and booze out of someone's fridge.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:46 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
I wouldn't refuse to pay your rent as it will just annoy your landlord and could get you into legal trouble.

A lock is the best solution, even if it is a one door fridge. Just get one of those hinge locks and screw one end on the door and the other on the side.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...t=hinge+lo ck
If you go this route, don't use screws... use flat-head bolts, otherwise they'll just get past yo' little lock.

collinbf says thanks to RyanC for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:47 PM   #14
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Tell your landlord you want him to come over and sit down with you and your roomates and you should all talk about it. It sounds like you're living with some strange people.
Old 01-29-2011 at 02:49 PM   #15
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Steal their food-but only the best of it so they get pissed, and it can be a life lesson.

Or create some sort of trap so that when they open the fridge door the get paint on them, or electrocuted. Or poison darts.

Or leave a note on the fridge saying you spit in everything in there.