MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thieves stealing... paperplanes Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 09-12-2010 09:55 PM
First year and dealing with MUGSI and SOLAR Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 10:35 PM
Dealing with Homesickness rrtt Residence & Off-Campus Living 8 09-21-2009 07:49 AM

need advice on dealing with thieves

Old 01-29-2011 at 07:07 PM   #31
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa View Post
ya, that's the thing, I don't have a solid evidence but I do have an idea of who it is because their fridge is full of expired goods and spoiled (and solidified) milk... it's going to be difficult getting them to admit that they've stolen our food =/ and I thought about setting up a camera just to see their reaction when they're caught on tape but that's wayyyy too much work for me xD
throw everything out of their fridge. Are you afraid of them? Be a man :@

Limbacker likes this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 07:51 PM   #32
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
You'd be getting in trouble for putting laxatives in your own food, though. Not your fault someone stole it.

But yes, I do recognize that this would obviously not be an explanation if you were to actually get in trouble for it, and I do know there's a big difference between stealing and drugging someone, and therefore "put laxatives in your food" is not a serious suggestion... although I would not blame someone for doing that in this case, haha.
True, it is quite sticky though, because you had good reason to believe they'd eat the food and you didn't warn them.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:29 PM   #33
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:

I think I'm going to go talk to them about it again.... I know they'll pretend to be innocent and blame it on other people but w/e
I'm assuming you think they'll try to blame it on another housemate? Try having a house meeting. If everyone is there, the thief will be less likely to blame another housemate - its much easier to put the blame on someone who's not around to defend themselves. You don't necessarily need to single the person out, but bringing up the fact that someone is stealing to the entire house will prevent them from blaming others and put pressure on them to stop.

Hope that helps!

alh24, L'Étoile, taylojl like this.
Old 01-29-2011 at 11:38 PM   #34
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Sleep-eating?

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-30-2011 at 12:15 AM   #35
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Its definitely not illegal to put laxatives into your own food :/

Never offer them anything, just put laxatives in the types of food they have been stealing.

Worst case scenario, they call the cops on you, then what? You tell the cops you needed a bit of help shitting. Not your fault people ate your stuff

Best case scenario? You catch them eating it, they're glued to the toilet for a bit, and hopefully they quit stealing your food.

Old 01-30-2011 at 01:10 AM   #36
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Install some trap doors covering pits filled with crocodiles.

camais, tamarakucera like this.
Old 01-30-2011 at 02:31 AM   #37
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

if all else fails you could always try one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreIV...eature=related

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-30-2011 at 09:53 AM   #38
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Mamba View Post
if all else fails you could always try one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreIV...eature=related
my vote goes to using #7 or #1 on these people
Old 01-30-2011 at 12:12 PM   #39
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

haha 1 was killer. she could always pull an aerial off the top of her fridge. I'm sure that'll teach em.
Old 01-30-2011 at 01:41 PM   #40
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Last edited by karna : 01-30-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2011 at 05:05 PM   #41
Mlochab

Liked: 0 Times

if you put something in your food to keep them away, who knows they might stop for a while, then when you least expect it they do the same for you. I personally would stick with a lock.
Old 01-30-2011 at 05:06 PM   #42
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlochab View Post
if you put something in your food to keep them away, who knows they might stop for a while, then when you least expect it they do the same for you. I personally would stick with a lock.
Good call.

No fun for you I guess, Teresa.
Old 01-30-2011 at 07:06 PM   #43
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I personally would taint the food that they most commonly steal
with my fart / poop. No harm done to them yet you got your revenge.

Deep inside, you know you've succeeded when you can't even look
at them with a straight face.

Ahhh, the smell and taste of victory.

But that's just me...

Last edited by VastHorizon : 01-30-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2011 at 07:10 PM   #44
Schoots

Liked: 0 Times

best you can do it lock it. just think how idiotic they will feel when half the house locks there fridge. i would feel pretty dumb let alone when people come over and they see a huge lock on the fridge and you have to say well someone would not stop stealing food!.
Old 01-30-2011 at 07:43 PM   #45
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
My housemate and I are having some issues with other girls in our house as they constantly steal our food. We've already told our landlord about it and he has told people NOT to open other people's fridges (because we have separate fridges for each group of 2-3 people) but this problem doesn't seem to stop. They've stolen our alcohol, milk, juice, ice cream, took a bite out of our cake (so we had to throw it away) and the list goes on.... These people don't listen and we don't know what to do about it.

My housemate and I were thinking of telling the landlord that we refuse to pay the rent or threaten my other housemates that we'll call the police on them. Seriously, we've lost more than a hundred dollars in groceries and alcohol and you wouldn't normally go to a grocery store and drink w/e you want and take a bite out of things without being arrested so why shouldn't they in this case?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Withholding rent will be bad news:

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111884.html

So unless you want to get evicted, I wouldn't use that option.