MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need some advice... SciMania Academics 5 04-03-2011 07:16 PM
Need advice mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 01-02-2011 05:27 PM
Advice arathbon Academics 16 05-22-2010 04:22 PM
A little Advice Commie8507 General Discussion 2 05-12-2010 08:51 AM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Need Advice for these electives

Old 07-01-2011 at 08:03 AM   #1
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Need Advice for these electives
Hi Guys and Gals!!!!! ,

I'm pleased to be one of the McMaster Marauders this coming fall,
I'm going into Business 1 and hopefully excited to meet the vibrant staffs and the warm-hearted fellow
students.

So i've register my course in SOLAR yesterday but have a problem in selecting 4 electives particularly Social Science, Science and Language courses.

Factors that I have a conflict on are:
1. Term Availability
2. I want all my courses to be on day term
3. Does the course really suits my interests and the program I'm in.

Can you comment these courses briefly below in terms of usability, easiness, interest, practicality,etc. (Please include YOUR experiences about these courses not just the content itself).

1. GEOG 1HA3 2. GEOG 1HB3 3. ENV SCI 1B03 4. ANTHRO 1A03
5. ANTHRO 1Z03 6. BIO 1P03 7 FRENCH/SPANISH/ITALIAN/GERMAN 1Z06
8. PSYCH 1X03 AND 1XX3

Hope you guys and gals to see and thought your comments
Old 07-01-2011 at 08:23 AM   #2
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I can only talk about Anthro 1A03. I took it in fall 2009 semester. It was an easy course with 2 essays as mid terms, which you had about 4 - 6 weeks to write up. The final exam was a 2 hour multiple choice exam. The class was boring on the whole because the prof was not able to teach properly and her notes where crap. I do however believe that she is not teaching the course anymore. Do not take it with Dr. Arratia.

keiser=) says thanks to jajas for this post.
Old 07-01-2011 at 09:07 AM   #3
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I took German 1Z06 last year. I'd say it's fairly easy to get a 10 in it, but difficult to get a 12. Class is fun (too fun in my opinion.) The text book is required for exercises and readings and whatnot but it doesn't give explanations of grammar; it gives examples and you pretty much end up teaching yourself. There is also lots of vocab to learn on your own, that you won't remember from class. The teacher is very nice and willing to help out though. You don't have much homework: some short textbook exercises, audio exercises to submit online and a couple of projects. There is quite a bit of group work, which can get annoying, but for the most part, the projects are very enjoyable. The tests are grammar based, but impossible if you don't know all of your vocab. Because the course is so laid back, it's hard not to get behind and then it's next to impossible to catch up on things like vocab, so beware if you take this course. Overall, however, it's a decent course.

There are some pretty detailed course reviews of Psych 1X03 and Psych 1XX3, so you should refer to those, but I'll quickly give you my opinion of them. The multiple choice is tricky for people who aren't used to application-style multiple choice. The online lectures are absolutely incredible; I wish all of my lectures were online. I hear that Business 1 students have a heavy work load, so these may not be the courses for you - there is a lot of material. (Really interesting material though.) However, since most of the course is web-based, it might be easy for you to incorporate it into your busy homework routine.

Hope I was helpful. Good luck next year.

keiser=) says thanks to Allana:) for this post.
Old 07-01-2011 at 09:31 AM   #4
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

I took Psych 1X03/1XX3 and I totally agree with Allana.

You should also check out intropsych.net

I would recommend taking the first year psych courses if you're interested in taking upper year psychs.

Psych course outlines:
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...-20102011.html

I've enjoyed all the psych courses I've taken so far.
Check out the course outlines to see if you are interested in the material.

keiser=) says thanks to BlueWave for this post.
Old 07-01-2011 at 11:44 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Have you checked the course reviews here, there's a number or reviews on each course from several people who took it over the past couple of years: http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

keiser=) likes this.