MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rez Advice fashionqueen Residence & Housing 3 05-21-2010 01:33 PM
A little Advice Commie8507 General Discussion 2 05-12-2010 08:51 AM
Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Need a bit of advice

Old 12-28-2011 at 02:40 AM   #1
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Need a bit of advice
Hey guys, I'm a first year life sci student and realized I majorly regret something. I took a language course that was considered a 6 unit course and skipped on taking both kin 1y03/1yy3. Now I REALLY regret not taking them as a always had an interest in anatomy and how the body works. I regret that I might have missed out on something that I might have wanted to pursue in the future ><. I plan to go into 2nd year biochem or hopefully apply for it but I still feel like I missed out on a chunk of my first year experience. Am I wrong to feel this way? I considered taking both kin courses in 2nd year as electives but I heard the chances of getting into them are extremely low for non 1st year students.
Old 12-28-2011 at 04:54 AM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

those courses fill up fast... you can take bio 2A03 in second year and it works as a pre req. in place of kin 1y03/1yy3 for upper year kin courses that are open to non-kin folk
Old 12-28-2011 at 08:28 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

You can consider taking them at other schools during the summer if they are offered.
Old 12-28-2011 at 09:24 PM   #4
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Hey! Im in fourth year biochem, and I took both those courses in my third year. They're great courses, as material from those courses literally pops up in almost EVERY course that I take.

Second year in biochem was my hardest year. Taking organic chemistry at the same time as Biochem 2L06 and physical chemistry was tough for me that first term, and I don't think I could have handled kin at the same time. It isn't one of those, study just before the midterm kinda courses, you had to keep up with the material for the tests every week. Personally, I don't think I would have had as much time as I would have liked to study for Kin in 2nd year. Third year biochem however, was my easiest year and I really got a chance to enjoy the kin anatomy courses all year.

If your thinking of going into biochem, I highly recommend taking these kin courses in third year. I had to keep trying solar for quite a few days to get into them, but it was totally worth it! Don't feel like you've missed out, you still have 3 years to take those courses

Also, I don't recommend taking the courses in the summer at another school if it is online... it really isn't the same. What makes the McMaster Kin Anatomy courses really good are 1) the amazing profs that teach them (Parise & MacDonald), and 2) the great labs.

winter02 says thanks to gmoney for this post.
Old 12-29-2011 at 12:53 AM   #5
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Thanks gmoney for your response =D. I just feel like I missed out on some of my first year experience since everyone else took both kin courses =/. And I agree, I would never want to take kin online since it ruins the experience of the actual course itself. Oh, back to what you said about not taking kin in 2nd year, what other electives besides cell bio and stats did you take? ( I'm planning to take physics 1B03 2nd term, so I'll have 4 electives if I get into biochem hopefully)
Old 12-29-2011 at 06:26 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Thanks gmoney for your response =D. I just feel like I missed out on some of my first year experience since everyone else took both kin courses =/. And I agree, I would never want to take kin online since it ruins the experience of the actual course itself. Oh, back to what you said about not taking kin in 2nd year, what other electives besides cell bio and stats did you take? ( I'm planning to take physics 1B03 2nd term, so I'll have 4 electives if I get into biochem hopefully)
There's about a hundred spots for people taking Kin 1Y03 as an elective, so it's impossible for everyone else to have taken both kin courses.
You can keep trying to take it in upper years, or take some courses that are antirequisite or cover some of the same material.
You can't go back in time, so there's no use worrying about not taking it now.

Marooner likes this.