MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
I need some advice. jordko General Discussion 12 10-29-2009 08:05 PM
Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Rez Advice

Old 05-20-2010 at 10:43 PM   #1
fashionqueen

Liked: 0 Times

Rez Advice
Hey Everyone! I was just wondering about the suites in Mary Keyes and the double room with washroom in Les Prince. I want to make sure that i make lots of friends but I also like my privacy/alone time. I have heard though that if you have a double room with a washroom you might not be in a very social environment because everyone has everything they need in there room, same with the suites. Is this true? Can anyone tell me about there experence in these rezs or any thing you may have heard Would just being in a double room be the best choice for me?
Old 05-20-2010 at 10:51 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionqueen View Post
Hey Everyone! I was just wondering about the suites in Mary Keyes and the double room with washroom in Les Prince. I want to make sure that i make lots of friends but I also like my privacy/alone time. I have heard though that if you have a double room with a washroom you might not be in a very social environment because everyone has everything they need in there room, same with the suites. Is this true? Can anyone tell me about there experence in these rezs or any thing you may have heard Would just being in a double room be the best choice for me?
You just have to make a harder effort to be more social. Basically only be in your room if you NEED to be. Go knock on some doors and make friends during the first couple weeks, especially during welcome week. There will also be facebook groups about the residences for the upcoming year, so that's a good start to get to know people.
Old 05-21-2010 at 01:30 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Double w/ washroom isn't that bad socially since a majority of people on the floor will still be in first year and still have to leave their room to use the common rooms at times. It takes a bit more effort to meet people, but it's definitely doable.

Suites are probably the worst place on campus for socially inclined first years, it's harder to meet people since there's a large number of upper years who often don't come out to floor events/meetings and everyone has everything they need in their room. It's still possible to meet people, but it's considerably harder and you'll likely have to make a real effort to meet as many people as possible during frosh week in order to stay socially active throughout the year.
Old 05-21-2010 at 01:33 PM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionqueen View Post
Hi!

I've lived in a traditional triple room in Moulton, and in a single with washroom in Les prince, and yes, I did notice a difference. It wasn't a huge deal though, because the people who wanted to socialize ended up finding ways to do it anyway. Every bulding has common spaces like study rooms and common rooms, so you'd probably be able to meet people anyway, if you made the effort. However, in traditional rooms, you really don't have any choice but to interact with people, because you have to share a lot more common space with your roommates/other people on your floor.

Personally, I loved having the traditional room for first year, but I don't think I could do it again. It was good for making friends and it was a lot of fun, but the lack of privacy and always having people around can be tiring if you're not used to it.

I'd say, if you get a room in Keyes or Les Prince, take it. You seem to be determined to make friends, so I don't think you'll have any problems with that. Once you get to know people during welcome week, its easy to keep up those friendships throughout the year.