MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your advise on increasing GPA ymichael Academics 11 09-15-2011 11:05 AM
Any Advise? kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-30-2011 12:27 PM
in serious need of advise/help Mint3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-04-2011 05:35 PM

Need serious advice?

Old 12-24-2011 at 10:36 AM   #1
SarahLee

Liked: 0 Times

Need serious advice?
I ended up failing a mandatory course in my program that also has a following course second semester that I can't take now (which isn't offered in the Summer either). What should I do and does this mean that I can't be placed in a second year program because I don't have two of the mandatory courses?

What options do I have at this point? I really want to stay in this program and choose a second year path. I'm not even sure who to contact at this point or if I'm already kicked out of the program for failing.

Any advise would be appreciated because I've been upset for days now trying to think of what to do. I feel like I just killed my own career path :(

(also I'm not in the Arts/Science" faculty...I made this account before going into my respective program, I'm in the Med Rad program rn)

Last edited by SarahLee : 12-24-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:54 AM   #2
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

It really depends on the program you're in because each program has a different requirement to move on to the next level. I suggest you book an appointment with your faculty/program's academic advisor, as they will be more helpful than anyone on these forums.
Best of luck to you and happy holidays!!

SarahLee says thanks to alee90 for this post.
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:55 AM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You'll need to speak to the associate dean's office. If you failed a required course, you're likely to be placed into a general B.Sc. program, and then you'll maybe be allowed to take the course next year, and try again. Then you can try shadowing the program, by taking as many of the required program courses as you can. This way, if you complete the course next year, and you try to re-enter the program, you won't be too far behind in courses, and you might be able to get caught up by the time you need to graduate.

On an unrelated note, you have incorrect use of the word "Advise". Advise is a verb, meaning "to advise, or give ADVICE to someone". The correct word you want is ADVICE, which is the noun.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

SarahLee says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:03 AM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
On an unrelated note, you have incorrect use of the word "Advise". Advise is a verb, meaning "to advise, or give ADVICE to someone". The correct word you want is ADVICE, which is the noun.

The OP used the word correctly in the thread title, She was just so into the post that she used the wrong letter ..

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 12-24-2011 at 11:06 AM   #5
SarahLee

Would this mean that I can't take the program related courses for my program next semester either since I failed a mandatory course?

Thank you djRAIN for pointing out my mistake, I corrected it.
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:11 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i was told even though u failed it ur alreayd registered on solar etc in that course. if u dont move it around u can take
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:14 AM   #7
SarahLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i was told even though u failed it ur alreayd registered on solar etc in that course. if u dont move it around u can take
Yes it's still on my second semester timetable, but it wouldn't count would it, especially when they say to drop a course you don't have a prerequisite for?
Old 12-24-2011 at 12:14 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If you failed the prerequisite, you may want to consider if you can do well in the 2nd course and dropping it may be advisable. Repeating your first year is not something that most people want to do but if it helps you do better in the long run, that is really what matters more. The associate dean's office is whom you want to speak to at this point, but even though it is very very frustrating and disappointing right now, you still have 3 - 4 years left to salvage a less than perfect first year and recover.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-24-2011 at 01:39 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Take your second semester courses that don't have prerequisites that you failed (that one course you mentioned), and just carry on second year by shadowing your program, while taking the one you failed, and the course that follows it in the first and second semesters of 2012/2013.

I would strongly advise you to speak to an actual advisor in person, in case there are things you might miss, exceptions, or tying up any loose ends you might miss doing this by yourself.
Old 12-24-2011 at 01:58 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

It kind of depends what the course is...it is a prereq for a second-term course, but are either of those courses prereqs for second year courses? If so, then that will set you back further. Also, you probably won't have a very competitive average to get into the stream you want for second year. You should talk to an academic/program advisor ASAP. I think they're closed until Jan 2 or 3, so you might need to wait until then, but do it the first day they're open so if you need to switch courses around for next term you still have time before drop/add ends.
Old 12-24-2011 at 05:24 PM   #11
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Have you looked if the courses are offered in the summer? You can still move onto second year by retaking this course in spring, and the follow-up course in summer

That's if you aren't alreadky kicked out of the program or on probation. I'm in the commerce faculty and we get kicked out if we fail a mandatory, but i know all other programs are diff. Don't fret, talk to an academic advisor asap. Hope this helps, all the best
Old 12-24-2011 at 05:30 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

dont drop the course yet and come up with a good excuse. Then go to both an academic advisor and the prof and try to get the prerequisite waived. Its still possible you can take the course. This assumes you actually want to take on the course and are able to without sufficient knowledge from the previous semester. Some prereqs matter, wheres some are just absolutely useless and deep down the profs know this and sometimes show leniency.

Salik likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 06:13 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I would only recommend that if the prereqs do not work together. However, for something like Math 1LS3 + Math 1LT3 etc, they would.

OP mentioned they were in Med Rad. The courses appear to build on each other, and I think, if they mean Kin 1Y03 + 1YY3, those are taught together as well. I would recommend redoing the course. Yes, you may not be as ahead as you'd like, but it's better to really get a firm grasp of that integral knowledge than not having it and always playing catch up in your later years

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-24-2011 at 08:52 PM   #14
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Hey
Unfortunately, in the Med Rad program, courses are offered only once a year :( If you fail, you are either out of the program or you have to repeat the year. More often than not, you only have to repeat the year unless you failed more than one course.
You will probably get evaluated to see if they will let you back in, and then repeat the year (just for that one course).
I'm sorry to have to tell you that...this is by far the worse thing about Med Rad!
Old 12-25-2011 at 12:13 PM   #15
SarahLee

Do they wait until the end of the year to kick you out of the program or right after Christmas?

I'm going to try speaking with an academic advisor after the break to see what options I have left. I really think I can do a lot better next semester to prove myself but I feel like they won't give me the chance since Med Rad seems to be a lot more strict than most of the other programs.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.