MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENG advice soody Academics 4 08-15-2011 09:17 PM
Course advice mike4 Academics 4 08-08-2011 01:34 AM
A little Advice Commie8507 General Discussion 2 05-12-2010 08:51 AM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Need some advice

Old 01-06-2012 at 09:47 AM   #1
Chopinetude

Liked: 15 Times

Need some advice
Hi everyone,

Is it reasonable for a third year to switch into a completely different program? given that a three years worth of money and time would be gone to waste.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2012 at 09:54 AM   #2
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Depends on the program. But you could always do double-major and get them both. I guess?

I am in Multimedia but I kinda wanna switch to science, but I might end up just double-majoring them both, so anything's possible as long as you're sure it's what you really want to do.

EDIT: Also, to add, it's more preferred if you finish your first program and then switch to the other, or double-major, because if you just drop a program in third year, it's kind a waste. If it was first or second, it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but you've already done three years of it, so might as well double-major or finish it and then switch.

Chopinetude says thanks to AdelaisAer for this post.
Old 01-06-2012 at 10:28 AM   #3
Chopinetude

but I really don't enjoy being the the current program, and yet I don't know if it's really worth it to switch it.

Old 01-06-2012 at 10:41 AM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

what program are you in now and which are you thinking of going into? that could make a huge difference if its worth it or not.

Chopinetude says thanks to Snowman for this post.

Old 01-06-2012 at 06:59 PM   #5
alley.xo

Liked: 0 Times

I think it's completely reasonable.. Although I would suggest that you do a double major as I have a friend who is in third year Honours Life Sciences that just switched into Med Rad (first year) in September.. Although she has an extra three years ahead of her, she will be graduating with two degrees which is the bonus.

Chopinetude says thanks to alley.xo for this post.
Old 01-06-2012 at 07:10 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its a very difficult question to ask, and a deep cost-benefit analysis would be the only way to truely answer this question

Basically: how much money is invested purely in stuff you have 0 interest in, and how much more would it take to finish your degree? If that amount of money is worth being able to put 'graduated in x' on your resume, then I'd say go for it. Its entirely possible to switch into another program, and have your current program identified as a 'minor' (again, assuming you don't have almost near the amount of credit to call your current program a major... and is the amount of money required to get the # of units to make that program a major worth having your resume say 'majored in x' versus 'minored in x').

tldr: whats your program, what are you thinking about changing to, do you 100% hate your current program, how much money would it take to finish it off? consider declaring your current program as a minor, if thats allowed by your faculty, and schedule an appointment with an academic advisor

Chopinetude says thanks to RyanC for this post.

lorii likes this.
Old 01-07-2012 at 12:25 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Hello, I saw this post yesterday but I was too tired to write a full reply.

I have been through somewhat the same thing and what I can say is that ultimately it is worth it.

I wasn't the best student in engineering, but in highschool I was a great student, maybe even brilliant you could say. In my year off I worked as an estimator for a construction company and saw first hand just how dull and underwhelming the workplace can be for a civil engineer.

When I reapplied, I applied to commerce and I am loving it more than ever.

Further, if money is a concern..

Think like this... These 4-7 years of your life, will cost anywhere from 30k-60k CAD$. When you come out of the university, you will easily make it back. But these 4-7 years will, in essence-- Ultimately dictate the yield of the coming 60-70 years of your life. Not just in terms of money, but in terms of what really counts -- happiness.

This is your life. Do what you love and if you don't like something, change it.
Some people don't even have these choices. You do. Use it to forge a fruitful and happy future that is to your liking.

Be well.

Chopinetude says thanks to ZSimon for this post.

Old 01-07-2012 at 08:34 PM   #8
Chopinetude

Thank you so much everyone for the replies!

AdelaisAer, ZSimon like this.