Thesis nerual Academics 2 08-07-2010 12:07 AM

Need Thesis Advice

Old 11-23-2012 at 07:28 PM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Need Thesis Advice
So...
Had an interview with the only prof who responded to me today for my thesis...and it didn't go too well. When he was speaking, the only thing I could think about was how I'd love to do something like this in neurology (prof wasn't a neurologist, in case you're wondering). But I don't have any good ideas for a neurology thesis, and I don't know any profs...???
Old 11-23-2012 at 07:44 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

What exactly do you want advice on?

Allan likes this.
Old 11-23-2012 at 08:04 PM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Here is a list of professors in the Neuroscience department who are accepting thesis students along with their requirements for the application: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/pnb...dy-thesis.html

Good luck!

Zebedee says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 11-23-2012 at 08:20 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

What can I do my project on? Any ideas? Should I try contacting more profs, even though only 1/30 replied before?
Old 11-23-2012 at 08:24 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
What can I do my project on? Any ideas? Should I try contacting more profs, even though only 1/30 replied before?
Where do you interests lie in that field? It's obviously quite vast in nature..so you'll have to decide what you like to do the most. Also, don't be disheartened if such a low number of professors reply back. You don't even have an concrete idea of what you want to approach professors with yet, so first get that down and continue with the contacting. Contact as many as you can, regardless of the fact that so little replied to you and/or will reply to you. Who knows? Maybe one of the replies you will get in the near future is from a professor who is interested in what you want to pursue. Good luck..,

Humza

Zebedee says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 11-23-2012 at 10:21 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Do keep trying. A lot of the professors you're contacting might also be MD's and may have lab managers managing their research groups or require that you contact other individuals. You're in Health Sciences, if I remember correctly. Have you approached your faculty office? I hear they're incredible at supporting their students and I'm sure there have been former FHS students who have done theses in neurology that the office would have experience with to advise you further.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-24-2012 at 06:04 AM   #7
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Where can I find ideas for my project...? I think that's the biggest problem. When I went for my interview, the prof said my project was cliched and really overdone...
and I thought it was original...:.SSS
Old 11-24-2012 at 08:19 AM   #8
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Also, how long does it usually take a prof to respond???
Old 11-24-2012 at 10:08 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Where can I find ideas for my project...? I think that's the biggest problem. When I went for my interview, the prof said my project was cliched and really overdone...
If you want an original idea you won't "find" ideas anywhere. Comb the recent literature and look for unanswered questions. Look at the prof's recent papers published to see what they're working on and if you could work on an offshoot of one of their projects. Often though the prof has their own idea for a project.

Zebedee says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-24-2012 at 11:33 AM   #10
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Profs usually have project ideas for students.. lol. you do not need to come up with a novel idea, especially because you are an undergraduate student.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 11-24-2012 at 12:43 PM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Most profs have projects in mind for undergraduate students so that:
1) You end up doing most of the scut work for masters/phD students
2) It's possible to finish your project in the allotted time
3) Your project is actually useful for future studies

... You're still in undergrad. If you go into an interview or applying for thesis positions that have nothing to do with your future field of interest and keep on talking about wanting to do X, you come off as close minded and not interested in actually working with that professor. Why waste their time and yours? Show that you're open minded and willing to work and you should have no difficulties finding a thesis professor.

Zebedee says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 11-24-2012 at 01:25 PM   #12
Zebedee
Resident Artist

So should I approach them with an idea?
...'cause when I went to that interview, he seemed to expect me to have a good, solid plan of what I waned to do...
Mentioned prosections and a whole lot of things I've never heard of...

Last edited by Zebedee : 11-24-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-24-2012 at 01:33 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
...'cause when I went to that interview, he seemed to expect me to have a good, solid plan of what I waned to do...
I just read the posts in this thread and in general people are saying you being an undergraduate student don't have to have an idea/solid plan of their own.
Old 11-24-2012 at 02:18 PM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
You're expected to be familiar with their work, as well as basic techniques or techniques the lab uses very frequently. I don't know if prosections fall into either category, though.
Old 11-24-2012 at 11:01 PM   #15
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
What exactly was your original project idea?