MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSN Help Urgent Desda Computers & Tech 24 09-23-2010 11:39 AM
urgent OSAP question kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-30-2010 03:08 PM
Urgent: Osap!!!! maryam17 Academics 7 09-01-2009 11:23 PM
urgent osap question danallan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2009 08:53 AM

Need Urgent Help Re: OSAP

Old 08-26-2009 at 12:53 PM   #1
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Need Urgent Help Re: OSAP
I have just returned from picking up my OSAP and handing it over to Mac and after reading through my papers on the way home, I noticed some discrepancies.

Here's the thing. I have been granted by OSAP $4,631 to be released for this term and $4,500 by the Queen Elizabeth scholarship and the McMaster Entrance Scholarship.

I am taking up Engineering and all the fees add up to $8,411.24.

I have opted to pay all the tuition fees at once which is $8,411.24 so they will be taking my Queen Elizabeth scholarship and Mcmaster entrance scholarship which all amounts to $4,500 and part of my OSAP grant for this term which is $4,631. From what I understand, the difference will be deposited in my bank account.

Now, there's this line on the "Certificate of Loan / Grant Approval and Eligibility" form where it says "Instructions to National Student Loans Service Centre Remit this amount to the postsecondary institution listed above" and has $3,811.24 written on it.

This is where it gets interesting. When I add my scholarship/bursary to the $3,811.24 which will be remitted to Mac, it doesn't add up.

$3,811.24 + $4,500 is only equal to $8,311.24, a hundred dollars short of the whole tuition fee which is $8,411.24.

I am really at a loss on what to do now because of all the stress from looking for used books and arranging my schedule.

Can anyone please tell me what to do? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:56 PM   #2
myster

Liked: 10 Times

Could that be the coop fee?

The annual coop fee is exactly $100...

Otherwise, maybe someone forgot to carry the 1
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:00 PM   #3
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
Could that be the coop fee?

The annual coop fee is exactly $100...

Otherwise, maybe someone forgot to carry the 1
Oooh. Yes, I've thought about that.

I'm taking Co-op too but the $100 does not appear in the breakdown of fees in the Payment Agreement.

And from what I understand, the $100 Co-op fee should be paid at the Co-op office as a separate fee from the tuition.

If I remember correctly, the woman at the desk had this stack of papers in which she looks up how much tuition fees are for each program.

If I also remember correctly, I remember her mentioning that Engineering was only $8311.24.

I don't really know what to do now...

Last edited by VastHorizon : 08-26-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:11 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Oooh. Yes, I've thought about that.

I'm taking Co-op too but the $100 does not appear in the breakdown of fees in the Payment Agreement.

And from what I understand, the $100 Co-op fee should be paid at the Co-op office as a separate fee from the tuition.

If I remember correctly, the woman at the desk had this stack of papers in which she looks up how much tuition fees are for each program.

If I also remember correctly, I remember her mentioning that Engineering was only $8311.24.

I don't really know what to do now...
Why don't you call the co-op office right now to inquire about it?
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:12 PM   #5
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Why don't you call the co-op office right now to inquire about it?
I tried calling but they are only open until noon.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:38 PM   #6
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Bump to the top!
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:40 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yeah, I didn't reply because I don't really know what to say...

Definitively try calling tomorrow... I would tell you to do look at your account statement but OSAP probably hasn't processed yet.
Old 08-26-2009 at 05:31 PM   #8
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

I have opted to pay all the tuition fees at once which is $8,411.24 so they will be taking my Queen Elizabeth scholarship and Mcmaster entrance scholarship which all amounts to $4,500 and part of my OSAP grant for this term which is $4,631. From what I understand, the difference will be deposited in my bank account.
It is not possible to pay all your tuition fees at once with OSAP. You are given 60% in September and 40% second semester. If you told them to pay everything at once, they may have interpreted that as meaning to put 60% of your OSAP towards your tuition, which is all you can pay right now.

Usually they ask me how much I want to go towards tuition and how much I want in my account for supplies/books/living costs. For example, $3, 000 goes towards tuition and $200 goes into my account.

Quote:

Now, there's this line on the "Certificate of Loan / Grant Approval and Eligibility" form where it says "Instructions to National Student Loans Service Centre Remit this amount to the postsecondary institution listed above" and has $3,811.24 written on it.
There should also be a line that says "Amount to be given to student" or something like that.

It may help you to go into your OSAP account and click on "check status" (or it may be on another page, I don't remember). It will tell you how much will be released in September and how much in second semester.

If you call the National Student Loans Service they may be able to help you understand. Financial Aid might help too but they are probably very busy. Hope this helps, I am currently dealing with OSAP isssues too :(