MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy these textbooks? gcruz91 Academics 3 08-31-2010 06:38 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

New Kin Textbooks?

Old 09-11-2010 at 05:54 PM   #1
Hanna

Liked: 0 Times

New Kin Textbooks?
I heard that all the first year kinesiology textbooks this year are new editions. Are there going to be huge differences? Does that mean I should buy all my textbooks new or is it still okay if I buy them used?
Old 09-11-2010 at 06:05 PM   #2
SandraM

Liked: 4 Times

Hey Hanna.
There shouldn't be any major changes between editions, just chapters are mixed around and pictures are changed. The publishers are just trying to make more money.
So I would just buy used textbooks. Most of my profs this year said there was no difference between the editions of my textbooks. So if you have found ppl to buy the used textbooks from I would definetly get them and SAVE ALOT OF MONEY

hope this helps

Sandra

Hanna says thanks to SandraM for this post.
Old 09-11-2010 at 06:50 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

The new one comes with a Connect access code, I'm not sure if it's required or not. Wait until the first class to make sure, since the old ones don't have a Connect code.
Old 09-11-2010 at 07:07 PM   #4
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Kin 1G03 uses the same book as last year. Buy it used!

As for nutrition and its ridiculous 200$ book... I'm personally buying the 11th edition instead of the 12th. If you check the powerpoint slides that Dr. Phillips posted on avenue, you'll notice that it's exactly the same as last year (last years midterm dates as well, that's the giveaway!) and thus follows along with last year's version of the textbook, which is the 11th edition. But remember, you still have to purchase an access code for diet analysis plus 10.0 for the one assignment.

You can buy a paperback of the book on the internet here for 25$:
http://www.nelsonbrain.com/shop/en/C...-0-17-647892-6

For Anatomy and Physiology, I'd probably wait until the first class to see whether you can use the older version. But if you got the old book, you'd probably have to purchase the "connect access code" online, because I'm pretty sure that the course outline says you're required to sign up for the online component.
Old 09-12-2010 at 03:55 PM   #5
Hanna

I just bought the Kin 1F03 textbook used. It's called Human Nutrition and Health Custom Edition for Kin 1F03. Is the contents similar to this years Kin 1F03 textbook? The cover looks completely different and it's a lot thinner! :S The title is also different!
Old 09-12-2010 at 03:59 PM   #6
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

I think that that should be fine! Because last year the class didn't use the actual textbook, but rather custom courseware which was basically only the relevant chapters of the book packaged together. So that's most likely what you bought and probably why it's a lot thinner than the textbook and the title is different!

Hanna says thanks to Jellybeanz for this post.
Old 09-12-2010 at 04:07 PM   #7
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
I think that that should be fine! Because last year the class didn't use the actual textbook, but rather custom courseware which was basically only the relevant chapters of the book packaged together. So that's most likely what you bought and probably why it's a lot thinner than the textbook and the title is different!
Okay, thanks! After I bought it used I realized that it was less than half the size of the one for this year and I started to freak out!