MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grad Photos carrka General Discussion 7 10-07-2010 08:49 AM
Two Mac Post-Grad Students' Summer Jobs lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-05-2010 11:08 AM
Grad card? Kathy2 Academics 13 02-02-2010 04:05 PM
Grad Card and Grad Response Form Available nh999 MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 08:57 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM

new scienc grad jobs

Old 07-09-2010 at 01:01 PM   #1
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

new scienc grad jobs
just graduated with a life science degree, hoping to get a job in research or something but can't find many out there. any suggestions with job banks etc? What other jobs related to my degree can I do?

thanks
Old 07-09-2010 at 02:25 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

You could go to teachers college. Solid profession.
Old 07-09-2010 at 02:59 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I would think for research you would need either great prof recommendations & previous research work with a prof, or a post-grad to land a solid research position.

Old 07-09-2010 at 03:10 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Any work in industry (drug companies, etc) or for the government, or something environmental? What did you focus your studies on?
Old 07-09-2010 at 04:38 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
just graduated with a life science degree, hoping to get a job in research or something but can't find many out there. any suggestions with job banks etc? What other jobs related to my degree can I do?

thanks
Do you have previous research experience?

If you know researchers in a field that you're interested in, you can always contact them about a job. But if you only have a B.Sc. and they don't know you, they'd be more likely to hire a M.Sc. If you get an external scholarship like NSERC or CIHR to fund your project, then this will increase your chances.

If research is your passion, then you may want to apply for a Master's program. You may be able to get a spot for the 2010 year. You're paid about $20K (covers tuition/living expenses) but if you win an OGS/NSERC/CIHR scholarship then they'll likely top you up even more.

With respect to teaching, there aren't that many jobs for new teachers unless you can speak french or if you can teach high school physics and math.

Old 07-09-2010 at 05:54 PM   #6
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

Well I only had 1 summer of research in a pysch lab. I just want something to do for the year after which i plan to apply to professional school. Research is not really my passion but I really would like to use my degree for somethign SCIENCE related instead of working in an entry level sales job like most ppl end up doing
Old 07-09-2010 at 08:22 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Well I only had 1 summer of research in a pysch lab. I just want something to do for the year after which i plan to apply to professional school. Research is not really my passion but I really would like to use my degree for somethign SCIENCE related instead of working in an entry level sales job like most ppl end up doing
You really should have applied for a summer studentship at one of the reseach hospitals - there are quite a few in Toronto. At least you'd have your foot in the door when you ask for a contract extension and the possibility for work during the year.

You can try asking to volunteer in various labs and if you impress your supervisor you can try applying for special funding to continue for the rest of the year. Try talking to your psych lab supervisor?

Old 07-09-2010 at 08:27 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
If you aren't interested in research, sales is really the only other thing that comes to mind! Maybe you could look into tutoring? I know some people who are teaching in Korea come fall!

What profession school are you planning to apply for? You can always volunteer and make your application better =)

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 07-09-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2010 at 10:47 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:

thanks
Read articles on www.talentegg.ca. Seriously.

It's a very shameless self-promotion of me (I work for the company), but there are tons of resources there for students who are looking for work/not knowing what to do with their degree etc. Also, they have job and volunteer postings on the site.

In short, you need to work on your existing skills, or develop new ones. Some have been mentioned (eg volunteer), but if you don't have a lot of work, volunteer or extra-curricular experience it is going to be very tough for you to get a job, let alone one in the field you want.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement