MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using newest edition textbooks for Biol 1M03 and 1A03? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-12-2011 10:02 AM
Seeking Student Support for the Wilson Building (new Liberal Arts Building) finklej MacInsiders Announcements 41 10-31-2010 11:29 PM

Newest building?

Old 01-15-2011 at 02:12 PM   #16
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
We already have a nuclear reactor and you're worried about this? I don't think anything dangerous will come of this. Scientists don't generally run experiments that will cause campus-wide apocalypses. Those are Mad scientists.
No I meant about the reactor + the research lol. It was mainly a joke

Though it would be cool if we all got superpowers.

Old 01-15-2011 at 02:39 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Sidenote- This reminds me of the video Dr. Boreham showed us in Bio 1A03 last year, from that show "Curious and Unusual Deaths" that had to do with radiation. It totally ruined my dream of the whole superpowers thing :(.. Anyways, I'm probably the only one that remembers that DX
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:29 PM   #18
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

The funding for the extension to the nuclear research building was paid for 100% by grants from the federal and provincial government. So yes in a roundabout way we did pay for it, but so did everyone else in this country. This is not a "MY TUITION WARGAHGARGLE RAGE " situation. It has absolutely nothing to do with undergrads. More lecture facilities would be nice. However, I think letting the government spruce up the research and production capacity of 1 of only 2 reactors (the other being the problem plagued Chalk river site) in the entire country that can produce medical istopes is not something we should be upset about. I don't know if anyone read the news when the problems at chalk river were at their height, but these isotopes are vitally important to hospitals domestically and globally.

That said, heres hoping Mcmaster shows the arts quad a little love with walls made of glass and chrome accents in the near future. I'm sick of having tutorials in the 70s era dungeon.

Maitland says thanks to Nort for this post.

Old 01-15-2011 at 04:31 PM   #19
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thank you. Everyone is quick to slam it as a waste of money, but your statement is very true. Who knows, maybe there is even outside investment in it?
The entire thing is paid for by the government.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:55 PM   #20
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

you can tell that picture is fake by the fact that there is no one on strike in it.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:55 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Sidenote- This reminds me of the video Dr. Boreham showed us in Bio 1A03 last year, from that show "Curious and Unusual Deaths" that had to do with radiation. It totally ruined my dream of the whole superpowers thing :(.. Anyways, I'm probably the only one that remembers that DX
I remember that, he was in an episode or something, wasn't he?

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:58 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I remember that, he was in an episode or something, wasn't he?
Yep! He showed it to us in class, because he was so proud of it. I liked it though
Old 01-15-2011 at 09:01 PM   #23
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
The entire thing is paid for by the government.
Only IF they finish the project in time.

From what I've heard, we're behind schedule (don't quote me on this)
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:23 PM   #24
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
It it like...dangerous research? What are the chances we're all going to die on campus? 0_o
If you afraid of this reactor blows everyone on campus, you should be more afraid of World (nuclear) War III kills everyone in this planet.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:32 AM   #25
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
If you afraid of this reactor blows everyone on campus, you should be more afraid of World (nuclear) War III kills everyone in this planet.
Killing everyone isn't that big of a deal..then we'll all be dead, and no one would suffer. But if just campus blew up, I'd be dead but my family would still be alive, and then they would be sad. And I wouldn't want that.

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:30 AM   #26
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Mac should stop building this crap and put up a god dam skating arena.
AND SOME BETTER EFFING TENNIS COURTS

that is all

EDIT:

Perhaps reapve all the paths so there super smooth and make em wider.
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:59 AM   #27
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Mac should stop building this crap and put up a god dam skating arena.
AND SOME BETTER EFFING TENNIS COURTS

that is all

EDIT:

Perhaps reapve all the paths so there super smooth and make em wider.
Stop the f|_|cking presses!
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:46 PM   #28
AKSAKS

Liked: 9 Times

Don't forget the machine that goes "ping".

Mahratta likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:49 PM   #29
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Universities major income is Research, so naturally they will focus on that :p
Old 01-16-2011 at 07:30 PM   #30
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

This is frustrating because as mentioned above the entire project is being funded by government grants. There is also the misconception that the reactor is a money pit for the university. In the early 90s the university cut funding to the reactor and ever since then the reactor has been almost completely self-funded. It is sustained on the proceeds it receives from work done for industry such as imaging and the production of isotopes. Everyone should be thanking the reactor and NRB for bringing prestige to McMaster without incurring cost to the students. If you'd like to complain about your tuition being wasted, maybe go complain about the $7 million in internal capital that went towards construction in the Burlington Campus.

Kendoon says thanks to Maitland for this post.

Mahratta likes this.