MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bursaries cjdzl Academics 15 08-29-2010 12:43 AM
Bursaries, again Melanieee Financial Aid 4 07-13-2010 12:37 PM
Bursaries Have Been Given Out! niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 148 03-06-2010 12:34 AM
Bursaries Are Out! Parnian General Discussion 27 02-02-2009 11:52 AM
When Do Bursaries come out? sinthusized General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 11:30 AM

No OSAP = No Mac bursaries?

Old 08-28-2009 at 11:29 AM   #1
Egotistic

Liked: 0 Times

No OSAP = No Mac bursaries?
So my parents and I decided not to apply for OSAP for my first year at Mac even though OSAP was giving me $3000 in loans. Yesterday I was checking McMaster's website when I came along it's Mcmaster Bursary Programs page, and there I read this:

Undergraduate Bursaries To be eligible for consideration, you must have picked up your first OSAP (or out-of-province) loan document for the current academic year, providing accurate gross income figures on your confirmation of enrolment form or have otherwise demonstrated financial need.

Does this mean I won't be eligible for ANY of the bursaries just because I decided to apply for OSAP? It says I'd have to demonstrate financial need, but how would that be done? Is there a seperate application for OSAP applicants and non-OSAP applicant? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-28-2009 at 11:36 AM   #2
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egotistic View Post
So my parents and I decided not to apply for OSAP for my first year at Mac even though OSAP was giving me $3000 in loans. Yesterday I was checking McMaster's website when I came along it's Mcmaster Bursary Programs page, and there I read this:

Undergraduate Bursaries To be eligible for consideration, you must have picked up your first OSAP (or out-of-province) loan document for the current academic year, providing accurate gross income figures on your confirmation of enrolment form or have otherwise demonstrated financial need.

Does this mean I won't be eligible for ANY of the bursaries just because I decided to apply for OSAP? It says I'd have to demonstrate financial need, but how would that be done? Is there a seperate application for OSAP applicants and non-OSAP applicant? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
To "demonstrate financial need" without picking up OSAP, you can go to the Financial Aid Office and they will give you some forms to fill out and you will be assessed in a way similar to OSAP.
Old 08-28-2009 at 12:17 PM   #3
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
To "demonstrate financial need" without picking up OSAP, you can go to the Financial Aid Office and they will give you some forms to fill out and you will be assessed in a way similar to OSAP.
How do you show your in financial need (need a bursary) if you have OSAP. Say because of expenses?

Old 08-28-2009 at 12:22 PM   #4
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
How do you show your in financial need (need a bursary) if you have OSAP. Say because of expenses?
If you have osap, then you'll have to fill out a very short online application on Mugsi which will be avaiable starting october 15 (which takes less than 30 seconds to complete). you are almost certain to get a bursary and the amount will depend on the info on your osap application
Old 08-28-2009 at 12:23 PM   #5
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
If you have osap, then you'll have to fill out a very short online application on Mugsi which will be avaiable starting october 15 (which takes less than 30 seconds to complete). you are almost certain to get a bursary and the amount will depend on the info on your osap application
Hmm thats it? What about grants, how do you apply for those or can you apply for them?

Old 08-28-2009 at 01:49 PM   #6
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Hmm thats it? What about grants, how do you apply for those or can you apply for them?
Grants are provided by the government and you are automatically eligible for them when you apply for osap.

Old 08-28-2009 at 03:08 PM   #7
Parminder S
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Would you happen to know if the processing time for the forms takes as long as OSAP's? I didn't take OSAP either, although I was eligible to receive around $7000. And would people who have taken OSAP be more likely to get the bursaries than the ones who didn't but have filled out these forms?
Old 08-28-2009 at 03:50 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

So you don't have to be taking an OSAP loan, in order to qualify for bursaries?
Old 08-28-2009 at 05:02 PM   #9
u.yousaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Nope because the bursaries are through McMaster which is why you fill out a separate application.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 05:15 PM   #10
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
You can qualify for bursaries without osap, but i think its a different, much longer process.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:18 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I hope it's not too much paperwork >.<, also is there a limit on the amount of the bursary? I can't really find much information about it online
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:53 PM   #12
u.yousaf

Quote:
I hope it's not too much paperwork >.<, also is there a limit on the amount of the bursary? I can't really find much information about it online
Not sure about the limit but the application is all online and takes about a minute to complete so you don't have to worry about a lot of paperwork.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 11:14 PM   #13
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
From friends that go to Mac, they tell me that bursaries are relatively easy to get and you can usually get $900-1000 or for some students up to around $1900 for particular programs and stuff.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to EasternHeat for this post.
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:14 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
From friends that go to Mac, they tell me that bursaries are relatively easy to get and you can usually get $900-1000 or for some students up to around $1900 for particular programs and stuff.
Last year the minimum was 700$.
Old 08-29-2009 at 04:20 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Sounds good. Thanks for the answers guys =]