MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
socializing sm18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-28-2013 07:12 AM
Question about full time part time and summer school Loko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 02-12-2013 04:54 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

no time for socializing

Old 10-08-2013 at 12:35 AM   #1
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

no time for socializing
no time for socializing, what do i do?
Old 10-08-2013 at 12:41 AM   #2
Mungo

Liked: 19 Times

Buck up, son. This is the part of your life that decides how easy the rest of it is. Easy now, hard later. Hard now, easier later. On average.

fatcat likes this.
Old 10-08-2013
Silver
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-08-2013 at 01:05 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

People socialize in the library too u know
Old 10-08-2013 at 01:49 AM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

as someone on a 7 course load, I can empathize.
Old 10-08-2013 at 02:52 AM   #5
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

Where there's a will there's a way, make time. I doubt you spend 100% of your outside of classes time doing work. Try talking to someone random at a buss station or something.
Old 10-08-2013 at 08:13 AM   #6
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Do you mean you have no time to talk to other people, which I find hard to believe on a campus of 25 thousand people, or that you got no time for "private" life?
Old 10-08-2013 at 10:45 AM   #7
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
as someone on a 7 course load, I can empathize.
A 7 course load in COMMERCE. You sir are the one who shall not be receiving any sympathy!
Old 10-08-2013 at 04:35 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

School's tough. It's tougher when you're overloading (I am too) and tougher still when you have a job. My hours at work are up to 24 a week due to layoffs and I'm basically exhausted all the time. I told my mom I have no free time lately and she told me to stop watching TV.

I say, try to spend an hour a day with somebody you like. Even if you're just studying or grabbing a quick coffee or eating a meal. I mean, you gotta eat anyway, right?

Bigmacfatpack likes this.
Old 10-08-2013 at 05:25 PM   #9
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
A 7 course load in COMMERCE. You sir are the one who shall not be receiving any sympathy!
I don't get it, why isn't he receiving sympathy?
Old 10-08-2013 at 07:43 PM   #10
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

can you even take 7 classes a semester in commerce? im overloading with 6 and didn't even know i could do 7

plus, even in 4th year commerce isn't nearly as difficult as engineering, where im seeing friends have assignments due once or twice a week with midterms as well
Old 10-08-2013 at 07:45 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
can you even take 7 classes a semester in commerce? im overloading with 6 and didn't even know i could do 7

plus, even in 4th year commerce isn't nearly as difficult as engineering, where im seeing friends have assignments due once or twice a week with midterms as well
Depending on what courses you're taking, that's possible to have any year (weekly assignments in a few courses + labs + midterms etc.)

afi123 likes this.
Old 10-08-2013 at 08:38 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I assume you mean that you are having trouble finding time to meet up with / do things with friends, because you have too much school work to do, Jesse?

Jesse.C likes this.
Old 10-09-2013 at 12:03 AM   #13
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I know school is overwhelming and tough but try to make time for socialization time. People need it. You can dedicate a day or something to do no school work. As others said, you can meet up with friends for a study session or grabbing a bite to eat, that counts a socialization time. For me I dedicate the weekends for my socialization time and do school work on Saturday and Sunday late nights only.
Old 10-09-2013 at 07:38 AM   #14
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

I would recommend budgeting extracurricular activities into your schedule. You perhaps need to take certain courses for your program that may be difficult to budget anything in, but it's not impossible. Think about what you are spending most of your time doing and think really hard if you can change that. I know my biggest problem was procrastination so I study with someone else (who actually studies and does not talk the whole time) to keep me on track and I am socializing at the same time.

If you are living in a house with other students, see if you could try and study with them for an hour or two just to get you started into the working mood. I also schedule a study session with a housemate and we meet at a cafeteria at school. We both agreed to this and it has worked out quite well so far. We decided to study at school because we won't be distracted by anything and will focus only on school work.

There are a variety of ways to budget time and I recommend booking an appointment on Oscarplus because the changes you want to make would really depend on your life style. Oscarplus>Appointment s>Student Success Centre>Academic Skills Assistance. I got some useful pieces of advice from a few appointments so maybe you might as well. Also, you might feel that you will not have time to make an appointment, but this appointment might save you a lot of time or it might not, it's a risk. So think about what's really important to you and go in that direction.