MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
socializing sm18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-28-2013 07:12 AM
Question about full time part time and summer school Loko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 02-12-2013 04:54 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

no time for socializing

Old 10-09-2013 at 05:04 PM   #16
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

The biggest thing you can do to improve you social life is evaluate how you are using your time. School has to be your number one priority while you are in post-secondary education. The work has to get done. Time is a limited resource and time spent elsewhere will have to be made up.

For example, I enjoy watching sports. I learned very quickly in first year that I had to make some choices between sports, social networking and a social life. I didn't have the time to watch every game anymore. I learned to settle for highlights/recordings of a good amount of the games and treat myself to whole games when the work was done (or light). If there is a big game (Stanley Cup final/World Series/whatever), I plan around it.

For some (myself included) social networking may be a detrimental distraction. I often deactivate my accounts during the busiest times of the term. I can always go back to them later.

Often it helps to pick an outing night as well. Mine is Friday. I put away my books after classes on Friday and spend the night on leisure activities (going out/video games/sports/whatever). I do schoolwork on Saturday & Sunday and sometimes, if I am productive enough, I may get a chance to have some more fun.

I have also found it helpful to make study plans. It's a lot easier to study when you know that you are going to spend the next hour on Chapters 8 and 9 in biology than when you just say, 'I'm going to study now". With a full course load or more, it can be very easy to collapse under the pressure if you don't make these plans.

Use your social life as a reward and you will benefit in all aspects of your life.
Old 10-09-2013 at 10:32 PM   #17
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
can you even take 7 classes a semester in commerce? im overloading with 6 and didn't even know i could do 7

plus, even in 4th year commerce isn't nearly as difficult as engineering, where im seeing friends have assignments due once or twice a week with midterms as well
Yes you can with overload permission and as long as there are little or no mandatory labs/tuts
Old 10-10-2013 at 11:52 PM   #18
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

It's important to MAKE TIME FOR FRIENDS and things you enjoy doing. Because after all, you do, and you will, ONLY LIFE ONCE, lol #yolo.

But seriously, when you look back on your school times at McMaster, you will not have as many good, fond memories. So yes, as everyone stated, even if it's just simple coffee, or bonding over studying, or working out with a friend, or grabbing a quick lunch, that still counts as socialization!

I hope you find the time to engage in social activities, as it keeps your brain active and engaged. I know for me, I can't go without a few hours socializing, because my mind just needs a break from studying and reading that I just need some fresh conversation!

Old 10-10-2013 at 11:58 PM   #19
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

www.macinsiders.com/chat