MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Studies/Health Age Courses **jewel 03** Academics 0 06-05-2010 06:15 PM
Health and aging courses - 3E03 - ETHICAL ISSUES IN HEALTH AND AGING, iki_31 Academics 3 05-31-2010 05:32 PM
Cannot modify a course Spicey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-03-2010 09:32 PM
First year Nursing and Human Biochem Core Courses at same time! daisy Academics 6 07-11-2009 10:18 PM
Modify Me __lexington General Discussion 14 06-19-2008 05:51 PM

NOT ALLOWED TO MODIFY Health Science and Nursing Courses?

Old 08-11-2010 at 07:25 PM   #1
aya.

Liked: 1 Time

NOT ALLOWED TO MODIFY Health Science and Nursing Courses?
I finally got into MUGSI/SOLAR just to find out that I can't switch my Health Sci Lab to a different day. I wanted to move my HTH SCI 1H06 Lab 03 which is on a Wednesday afternoon, to Lab 01 which is on a Tuesday. But when I clicked "Modify", it won't let me - "No modification is allowed for this course: HTH SCI 1H06 3 D".
Is there really no way for me to switch that lab to a different day? The only class I have on Wednesday is that 2 hr lab. I will commute from home to school - which will take about an hour, that's why I really wanted to have the lab on Tuesday instead.

Another thing, this is kinda off topic, but what are the chances of getting into MMEDIA 1B03? I also tried to add that course but it's still full. Would Mac open more seats or does the availability only depend on people who might be dropping the course?

Please help.
TY
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:40 PM   #2
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

You cannot modify the course because that lab has size restrictions. You can discuss it with your lab coordinator and explain the situation and I'm sure they can help you work something out.
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:41 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya. View Post
I finally got into MUGSI/SOLAR just to find out that I can't switch my Health Sci Lab to a different day. I wanted to move my HTH SCI 1H06 Lab 03 which is on a Wednesday afternoon, to Lab 01 which is on a Tuesday. But when I clicked "Modify", it won't let me - "No modification is allowed for this course: HTH SCI 1H06 3 D".
Is there really no way for me to switch that lab to a different day? The only class I have on Wednesday is that 2 hr lab. I will commute from home to school - which will take about an hour, that's why I really wanted to have the lab on Tuesday instead.

Another thing, this is kinda off topic, but what are the chances of getting into MMEDIA 1B03? I also tried to add that course but it's still full. Would Mac open more seats or does the availability only depend on people who might be dropping the course?

Please help.
TY
For many first year hth sci and nursing courses, you're not allowed to change the sections. You must stick with what you're given.

As of right now, availability for most courses probably depends on people dropping it. I'm not sure if specific courses are still holding seats, but the majority of it will be dropping & adding.
Old 08-11-2010 at 07:44 PM   #4
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

You can get into any course if you kiss ass...particularly the prof's obviously...
You can either go see them in person and ask or write them an official letter and follow up.
Old 08-11-2010 at 08:40 PM   #5
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

m goin throu the same problem. m commuting as well and i need to change tht lab on wednesday evening to tuesday...
Old 08-11-2010 at 08:47 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

I doubt commuting is a legit excuse for wanting to change the sections around. By going to the school you take responsibility for getting yourself there. You can always try emailing them, though. The worst they can do is say no.
Old 08-11-2010 at 08:49 PM   #7
5XLH

Liked: 0 Times

With this course there are specific days on which certain faculty groups have labs ... it's best to talk with the lab coordinator for changes because some lab days available are strictly for other faculty groups but they may be able to squeeze you in depending on your circumstances.

Last edited by 5XLH : 08-11-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clearification
Old 08-12-2010 at 12:21 PM   #8
aya.

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for the input! It's sucks that it works that way though. Anyway, since I can't really switch it as of now, do you guys think it will be a good idea to just switch/add a one course on Wednesday (say like PSYCH 1XX3 move it to Wednesday 11:30 am if its available) so I'll have another class besides that lab? It will take me 1 hr to commute from home to school, and i don't find it practical to just have a 2 hr class for the whole day. Is that a good idea, or is the chance of a lab coordinator allowing me to switch to a diff lab high enough for me not to worry about this situation ?

Here's my timetable for term1 - http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...aa23/term1.jpg (note: I'm want to drop Relig St once I find another elective)
Old 08-12-2010 at 07:22 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya. View Post
Thanks for the input! It's sucks that it works that way though. Anyway, since I can't really switch it as of now, do you guys think it will be a good idea to just switch/add a one course on Wednesday (say like PSYCH 1XX3 move it to Wednesday 11:30 am if its available) so I'll have another class besides that lab? It will take me 1 hr to commute from home to school, and i don't find it practical to just have a 2 hr class for the whole day. Is that a good idea, or is the chance of a lab coordinator allowing me to switch to a diff lab high enough for me not to worry about this situation ?

Here's my timetable for term1 - http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...aa23/term1.jpg (note: I'm want to drop Relig St once I find another elective)
See if you can move any of your later classes to Wed, that way you can go home earlier! Not sure if it's possible since I haven't checked the master timetable, but if you can, go for it!
Old 08-12-2010 at 07:41 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
You can get into any course if you kiss ass...particularly the prof's obviously...
You can either go see them in person and ask or write them an official letter and follow up.
This is not true. Some courses legitimately have size caps they cannot go beyond because of the room they are held in. This is true of Multimedia courses because the program is small and we have small classrooms and our computer labs in TSH only have so many computers.

I just looked up all the sections of 1B03 on the Master Timetable and from what I can tell I doubt you will be able to get a seat in it by asking because of the classroom size/computer issue. There just simply aren't enough computers to accommodate more students. They already have 4 sections of it running this year to get as many students who want to take it a spot.

So the best advice I can give is to keep checking SOLAR everyday to see if someone has dropped it. Due to the popularity of the course its unlikely but people can change their minds or might have to take other courses or just can't fit it in with other electives they want more. Just keep checking up until the Add/Drop date in September and you might be lucky enough to get a spot.