MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad for note taking? guerilla First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-26-2012 09:20 PM
Ipad 2 olive General Discussion 8 07-23-2011 05:14 PM
iPad 2 PHLN Computers & Tech 24 03-04-2011 04:41 PM

Note taking on iPad Mini or iPad

Old 08-20-2014 at 10:11 AM   #1
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

Note taking on iPad Mini or iPad
Considering buying an iPad or iPad mini for notetaking instead of buying a laptop. Can anyone share any of their experiences with note taking during lecture with this device? It seems like a good idea, I would buy a wireless keyboard so I could still use it functionally as a laptop, and also thought it would be more environmentally and pocket friendly with no paper or pens to buy... I have researched a few note taking apps, and it seems pretty appealing. Any help or advice is appreciated!
Old 08-20-2014 at 10:38 AM   #2
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Hey! I've gone the iPad route and I think it's definitely easier to use in a small crowded lecture hall. Also, it's a lot lighter to carry around. But that being said, GENERALLY, a laptop will last you longer, has a larger storage capacity, has all the ports and drives that most tablets don't have, and is superior battery and functionality-wise.
I guess it depends on your needs as well, like will you be doing a ton of essay writing or will you be doing programming? I actually ended up switching to a laptop and I haven't looked back, as it's a lot easier for me and I really needed the increase in memory and speed. Plus, my laptop isn't particularly heavy so I don't mind carrying it.
A lot of people use tablets though, so just make sure to consider what you will be needing it for unless you have a lot of money and can afford to buy both an iPad and a laptop!
Old 08-20-2014 at 01:54 PM   #3
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

i have the iPad mini that i use in class with a keyboard..it is great!!!! definitely a good idea bc its lighter and easier to carry around b/w classes.
Old 08-20-2014 at 03:14 PM   #4
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

my friend uses the ipad for all her note taking in classes and lectures, i think she also had some textbooks on there. she uses the app noteablity and loves it.
Old 08-20-2014 at 04:12 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

"ipad instead of laptop"

ipads can be great for note taking. BUT be warned you still need a computer. An ipad is NOT a productivity device. Its a big iphone.

If you dont have another computer (and werent just looking for a note taking device) then you could consider the Surface PRO 3. Its a FULL computer (runs real windows, not a phone operating system) but in a tablet form. This would do as tablet and desktop/laptop. As a bonus it comes with a pen to allow you to properly write on the screen. Combine with office onenote and you have by far the best productivity and note solution available to students.

fred likes this.
Old 08-20-2014 at 05:13 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

When I was still at Mac, I use my ipad for note taking in my third year and final year. I switched out of my laptop for note taking because my laptop is too heavy to carry. I also use my tablet for textbooks but not very often. Like the others said, it's also good to have a laptop too so you'll be able to do things you can't do on a tablet. Plus it will be extra screen if you ever need it to do assignments or study for tests.

If you really want just a tablet, then I would consider a windows 8 tablet instead of an ipad.