MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your preferred note taking method? naval23 Academics 27 06-30-2012 07:45 PM
How to not suck at note taking? aw07 General Discussion 7 09-19-2011 10:39 PM
The ideal Note Taking ideas Desiguy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-27-2011 08:02 PM
CSD Note-taking... ikantsepll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 10-29-2010 06:54 AM
Note taking and organizational methods Biochem47 Academics 10 07-15-2010 08:44 PM

iPad for note taking?

Old 08-26-2012 at 04:41 PM   #1
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

iPad for note taking?
I kind of don't want to purchase a laptop until windows 8 comes out, how well do you think an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard +note taking app will fare?
Old 08-26-2012 at 04:51 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
I kind of don't want to purchase a laptop until windows 8 comes out, how well do you think an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard +note taking app will fare?
I know some people that really like it and prefer it over laptops because of the weight. Although they also have a laptop or desktop at home. But I also know some people that really hate it. My advice is to find a friend/relative that has one and try typing up some stuff for like a week (It may be frustrating at first but like all things it usually takes time to get used to) and see if you like taking notes on it.
Old 08-26-2012 at 05:28 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
I kind of don't want to purchase a laptop until windows 8 comes out
You should purchase a laptop BEFORE Win8 comes out.

I take notes with pen/paper (printed slides) still...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-26-2012 at 06:25 PM   #4
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
You should purchase a laptop BEFORE Win8 comes out.

I take notes with pen/paper (printed slides) still...

Why?
I was also looking to purchase a new laptop after Window 8 comes out :s
Old 08-26-2012 at 07:41 PM   #5
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Taking notes on the iPad depends on what you want to do. Your program and the amount of notes you take will affect what you want to do.
Old 08-26-2012 at 07:44 PM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:

Quiet a few of my friends switched to just tablets last year, including the iPad and most of them loved it. It was much more convenient than carrying a laptop. Also the bluetooth cases/keyboards are pretty neat.

This one has a really nice keyboard and recommend it if you can ---> http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=551573
Old 08-26-2012 at 08:15 PM   #7
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I use an iPad for note taking in some classes and I find it helpful when reviewing for exams. I have a folder for every class in Evernote where I store the syllabus, slides, notes, research pdfs and voice recordings when I record the odd lecture. I usually don't use an external keyboard.
Old 08-26-2012 at 08:55 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Quiet a few of my friends switched to just tablets last year, including the iPad and most of them loved it. It was much more convenient than carrying a laptop. Also the bluetooth cases/keyboards are pretty neat.

This one has a really nice keyboard and recommend it if you can ---> http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=551573
Most people I know go with Zagg http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zagg...-keyboard-case
Old 08-26-2012 at 09:18 PM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple2309 View Post
Why?
I was also looking to purchase a new laptop after Window 8 comes out :s
It is made focused you having a tablet computer or something with touchscreen, so on a regular laptop/desktop it is atrocious to use
Old 08-26-2012 at 09:20 PM   #10
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I use an iPad for note taking in some classes and I find it helpful when reviewing for exams. I have a folder for every class in Evernote where I store the syllabus, slides, notes, research pdfs and voice recordings when I record the odd lecture. I usually don't use an external keyboard.

Nooo waaaaaayyy!

Really people, there's a reason why majority of students still use pens and papers to take notes.
1) No batteries needed
2) Fast, easy and overall efficient way of sorting concepts from the board, as well as your personal ideas on the subject
3) Able to use it every where. You would be surprised how hilarious in my opinion people trying to create an office space with (even with tablets not to mention laptops) look, aka, its not easy to place all your stuff on a space not much bigger than a 10x10 cm square.
4) (continuation of point 2) There's no delay when you type, even if you type fast. Adding fast side notes, and other things mentioned in point 2, is impossible on a device that is essentially electronic typewriter. Even if you use a stylus, using a pen as wide as your own finger is not comfortable and often restricts you, not to mention it often looks like crap. (Galaxy Note is a different story, but its too small to use anyway).

The only reason you might need a laptop, and where tablets might actually be usefull is book keeping. But that's depends on what you like. I for example think that my 15 inch screen is too small to use it for reading those huge engineering textbooks, so I obviously wont be able to use a 10 inch tablet.

Last edited by AngryBean : 08-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.