MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ideal Note Taking ideas Desiguy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-27-2011 08:02 PM
Does your LIFE suck? 3am Coffee General Discussion 42 05-17-2011 02:03 AM
CSD Note-taking... ikantsepll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 10-29-2010 06:54 AM
Note taking and organizational methods Biochem47 Academics 10 07-15-2010 08:44 PM
Leafs Suck! Leafs Suck! Athletics & Recreation 9 12-11-2009 03:47 AM

How to not suck at note taking?

Old 09-19-2011 at 06:10 PM   #1
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

How to not suck at note taking?
Today it hit me, I am totally confused as to what to write down and what not to write down in class. We get skeleton notes and I am aware of what to fill in BUT what about all the elaboration? I feel like I suck at note taking...any pointers?
Old 09-19-2011 at 06:14 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Short forms if you're new, then you get a feeling after you've been through a few years as to what is relevant and what is not. The best way to know how to write properly is to be prepared for class, that way you already have a preconception about what the professor will say as he's saying it.

alyssarr, enarab like this.
Old 09-19-2011 at 07:33 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Write stuff that you don't have drilled into your head/you won't remember. I find often a lot of the elaboration is targeted at saying the same thing in a few different ways and you just need to write down the one that makes the most sense, or it's often reviewing facts that you know from high school/life/other classes.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 09-19-2011 at 07:38 PM   #4
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I just write down interesting words and phrases while making to-do and shopping lists in the margins.

lakhim likes this.
Old 09-19-2011 at 07:40 PM   #5
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

"take better notes" is never a goal on those to-do lists.

lakhim likes this.
Old 09-19-2011 at 08:42 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

You won't really know how effective your note-taking is until after your first midterm/assessment! But personally, I tend to over-write which is definitely better than not writing enough and missing something important! You'll eventually get the hang of it though
Old 09-19-2011 at 08:51 PM   #7
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I used to write a TON of stuff in my notes. So much that I would never need the textbook or lecture slides because I would have pages upon pages of information in my notes.

I found that this wasn't helpful as I already knew 90% of the stuff on my notes and ended up missing some of the stuff I actually needed to learn.

Alasdair nailed it in his post. Write what you don't know, so that when you study you only see material that you haven't yet learned/memorized. Don't over apply this advice though. If you are iffy or don't think you know it, write it down. Just be sure to skip the stuff that you know for sure. Doing this will give you great notes that won't be too hard to read come prep time.

arathbon likes this.
Old 09-19-2011 at 10:39 PM   #8
cypher

Liked: 7 Times

I honestly think it depends on the subject and your learning style. Like for me, a subject like history or economics, I'd have to write down every detail because I honestly won't be able to remember anything afterwards. But for math or physics, I don't take any notes at all and just listen to what the prof says. And then when I understand it, I'll remember it forever.
But I think after a few courses, you'll find out what works for you and what doesn't

Last edited by cypher : 09-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.