MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CSD Note-taking... ikantsepll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 10-29-2010 06:54 AM
Note taking and organizational methods Biochem47 Academics 10 07-15-2010 08:44 PM
The Ideal TA (tm) Mowicz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 64 09-27-2009 12:18 PM
Ideal Course Setup Goce Academics 9 10-20-2008 03:55 AM

The ideal Note Taking ideas

Old 08-27-2011 at 07:58 PM   #1
Desiguy

Liked: 0 Times

The ideal Note Taking ideas
There are many different style of course notes.
Note taking can involve:
A) Taking down notes from teacher
i) in notebooks(paper not laptops)
ii) on laptop
iii) loose leaf paper
iv) downloaded printed notes

I am in BIOCHEMISTRY. I want to know what is the best thing to do?
I am planning to have (i) notebooks for each course. I figured I might need to take downloaded printed notes from the prof from time to time. I realize that this means major disorganization for me!

If I don't print them... I fall behind. If I do.. its the money cost and the disorganization.
If I keep it all on laptop... I will fall behind because biochem notes are not simply writing. I SERIOUSLY don't know what to do!

What do I do?
Old 08-27-2011 at 08:02 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I was in Chem Bio briefly. First of all...big breath. Calm down. It'll be all right.

I use loose leaf paper, which I put into hanging files and then put into a file tote (mini filing cabinet). I print off my notes and scrawl on them, and number them. I put my hand written loose leaf summaries/notes/homework in between the printed slides. I.e. if I cover DNA transcription, I put the loose leaf for DNA transcription together. Printed notes before loose leaf.

Notebooks are good but there's no place to "edit" and "add in". Also, if you write on both sides, it's tough to add in things.

I also keep the files on my computer and make annotations sometimes that I back up to an external HDD and delete from my main HD at the end of each year.

I do not make notes from a textbook. If it's that valuable to me, I just keep it instead of reselling it.

Laptops in class are a great way to get distracted (for me) so I usually keep them to record lectures if I miss something the prof's said or if I'm sick and might fall asleep in classes where they allow recordings.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences