MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to not suck at note taking? aw07 General Discussion 7 09-19-2011 10:39 PM
The ideal Note Taking ideas Desiguy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-27-2011 08:02 PM
Method of Payment Michael23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-28-2011 06:38 PM
CSD Note-taking... ikantsepll First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 10-29-2010 06:54 AM
Note taking and organizational methods Biochem47 Academics 10 07-15-2010 08:44 PM

What is your preferred note taking method?

Old 06-29-2012 at 09:34 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

What is your preferred note taking method?
How would you organize your notes when you take them?

These are the methods I know:

Outline Method - Heading, Subheading, bullets (like block notes)
- I used to use this method. But I found I used too much bullets for each heading, and that it was harder to recall information.

Question Method - Writing Headings as Questions, having very few bullets for each question
- I like this method because I find it easier to recall information, and my notes are divided into smaller sections

Cornell Method - Writing your notes, and writing a summary at the bottom-third of the page, with questions in the margins
- I've never used this method.

Last edited by naval23 : 06-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:36 PM   #2
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

My preferred note taking method is writing whatever the prof writes on the blackboard.

naval23 says thanks to Alexmahone for this post.

lifesciman1, naval23, RamanS like this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:38 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Read through this. http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ght=take+notes

naval23 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:46 PM   #4
naval23

Yeah, I guess I phrased the question wrong.

I meant how would you organize your notes when you take them? Do you like using the outline method where it's just a heading, subheadings, bullets?

Do you like using the Cornell note taking system?

Do you have another way of organizing your notes? I want to learn other people's styles and see if I can use them
Old 06-29-2012 at 09:51 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

It's up to the person. For math, just copy what they write down. For physics/chem, print out the slides and write down what the prof writes on the smartboard. Some people just sit through and listen.

Old 06-29-2012 at 09:56 PM   #6
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Apparently the OP is talking about organizing your notes after you take them. I've never done that, lol.

naval23 says thanks to Alexmahone for this post.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:00 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I colour code my notes with highlighters. Pink, teal and blue. When I run out of colours, I'm lost. I also use arrows vs. bullets sometimes, or print vs. cursive to emphasize certain points.

naval23 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:02 PM   #8
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

for math/physics courses; just write down theory briefly
and do all the questions you can

chem/bio: meh whatever preference (highlighted, point form, etc etc)

naval23 says thanks to Atheist? for this post.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:06 PM   #9
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I colour code my notes with highlighters. Pink, teal and blue. When I run out of colours, I'm lost. I also use arrows vs. bullets sometimes, or print vs. cursive to emphasize certain points.
How much do you highlight and what do you highlight? Does it become distracting with all the different colours and if there's too much highlighting?

I like the arrows and bullets idea.

And I guess you use the heading method, where you have a heading, and then just point-form notes right?
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:11 PM   #10
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Really depends on the class. The standard is written with proper formatting but some classes seriously need you to be on a word document typing word for word. Show up with a clipboard for the first 2-3 days. If you really feel like you could be taking down more with a laptop bring it from now on and type up your first few class' notes on your own time. Usually conceptual classes require written but difficult humanities classes its a scramble to get everything down like the typist you are.

naval23 says thanks to Phaint0m for this post.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:39 PM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

As mentioned earlier, for math you just write down whatever the prof writes on the overhead projector. When you go back home/to rez you have to put the notes in a binder (that way, you will be more organized and can find your notes easily when you study..you should do this everyday)...when taking math notes, it's a good idea to write down the new section/topic..for example, if the prof starts section 5.2, you should write down 5.2 as the heading.

For physics, just print the lecture notes and add your own notes to them...it's a good idea to write down the solution to the problems presented in class, as well as the solution to the multiple choice quizzes.
For chem, same as physics..

From my experience, I usually end up sleeping/really tired in class if I just sit there and do nothing...just write down anything to keep you awake in class

naval23 says thanks to jim1 for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 10:42 PM   #12
kaitotst

Read Ahead of Class > Jot Down Points You Didn't Catch from Textbook in Lecture > Re-Evaluate Notes > Create a GIANT MINDMAP

naval23 says thanks to kaitotst for this post.

ashish_s likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 11:02 PM   #13
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i just print the slides and fill in the blanks/jot down extra notes underneath, then i put them all in a binder in order of lecture aha

naval23 says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.

ashish_s likes this.
Old 06-29-2012 at 11:18 PM   #14
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

I use headings and point form notes. I find colour extremely helpful (especially with orgo notes) but I highly detest using highlighters and prefer using colour pencils to shade in/underline what you would have highlighted. Coloured pens are also useful for annotating things that you often forget or are crucial to understanding a pattern/trend, etc...

naval23 says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.

ashish_s, naval23 like this.
Old 06-30-2012 at 02:17 AM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Oh yeah. I was told it was helpful to write down notes then recopy it all into a seperate notebook. Useful but TOO TIME CONSUMING