Laptop vs. Notebook jordko Computers & Tech 7 09-09-2009 11:49 AM
Wireless Notebook mouses katie_batt General Discussion 16 08-19-2009 08:39 PM
Netbook vs Notebook Sultan General Discussion 11 08-16-2009 11:32 AM

Notebook vs Binder

Old 08-23-2010 at 02:01 PM   #1
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Notebook vs Binder
So I'll list the subjects Im taking and if you have taken those courses before tell in in your opinion which is better & if I will even need a binder or notebook for things like MMedia. Ill also list professors so that you can tell me how they are with notes. Thank you cause I cantt decide for I am not sure how many notes we will get.

Bio 1M03- Kolasa
Chem 1A03- Dumont
MMedia 1A03- Sinclair (Neither?)
Econ 1B03- Holmes
Psych 1X03- Kim
Chem 1AA3- Lock
Math 1LS3- Lozinski ( Notebook?)
Physics 1L03- Nejat
Hlth Age 1BB3- Joshi
Psych 1XX3- Kim
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:09 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Notebook is best for all IMO.
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:10 PM   #3
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
So I'll list the subjects Im taking and if you have taken those courses before tell in in your opinion which is better & if I will even need a binder or notebook for things like MMedia. Ill also list professors so that you can tell me how they are with notes. Thank you cause I cantt decide for I am not sure how many notes we will get.

Bio 1M03- Kolasa
Chem 1A03- Dumont
Econ 1B03- Holmes
Psych 1X03- Kim
Chem 1AA3- Lock
Physics 1L03- Nejat
Hlth Age 1BB3- Joshi
Psych 1XX3- Kim
I had a binder each for all my classes just for the sake of being relatively organized.

Bio 1M03: I had Kajuira and Quinn, and their styles were quite different. I've not heard of Kolasa.. Kajuira had a lot of print-off notes and her lectures worked to "fill in the blanks" of her print-offs. Quinn had notes, but really it made more sense just to take notes as he talked. I don't know about Kolasa, probably a toss up. Might as well buy a binder, you can get spiral notebooks that fit into binders anyway.

Chem 1A03/1AA3: Every class has printable lecture slides for every chapter, so getting a binder for that would probably be best.

Math 1LS3: I had professor Lovric, he didn't really have notes. A notebook is probably best for math IMO.

Psych 1X03: This class is done online, and you have a piece of courseware that's designed to follow the online lectures. You may not need either, though I re-wrote notes out to study. You might want a notebook for tutorials though.

Psych 1XX3: Again, you have the online lectures with another course book. However last year we also had 1 live lecture a week plus tutorial. I just used a notebook for this, the lecture slides online weren't really informative. The bulk of notable material was said by Dr. Kim in class.

TeleKey says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:48 PM   #4
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

what about having one of those "flex" binders from 5 star?

Joey likes this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:51 PM   #5
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Econ 1B03- Holmes talks right off her slides, says almost nothing extra from whats on the slides, and she posts the slides online, I didnt take any notes for this class.

Math 1LS3- I didnt take this course but I had Lozinski for Math 1XX3 and he decided to use the smart board for notes, so he was able to save them and post them online, but I preferred hand notes, I prefer hand notes for all math courses.
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:30 PM   #6
TeleKey

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post

Bio 1M03- Kolasa
Chem 1A03- Dumont
Econ 1B03- Holmes
Psych 1X03- Kim
Chem 1AA3- Lock
Physics 1L03- Nejat
Hlth Age 1BB3- Joshi
Psych 1XX3- Kim
Thanks for asking this ...I had the exact same question cuz I have most of the same classes as you
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:46 PM   #7
numaya

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hey, so I happened to see this and am wondering if I could get help also. These are my courses:

ECON 1B03
ECON 1BB3
COMMERCE 1E03
COMMERCE 1PA0
MATH 1M03
COMP SCI 1BA3
GEOG 1HB3
LABR ST 1C03
POL SCI 1G06
CMST 1A03
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:54 PM   #8
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I keep loose sheets of lined paper for all courses in a pad holder, especially since first year we were constantly printing notes, and I didn't want to all my time hole-punching for a binder. It's lightweight, doubles as a writing surface on your lap so you don't have to use the terrible lecture hall tables, and doesn't take up a lot of space. After about 1-2 months just dump the pages you aren't focusing on in a box somewhere.

Old 08-23-2010 at 04:00 PM   #9
numaya

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I keep loose sheets of lined paper for all courses in a pad holder, especially since first year we were constantly printing notes, and I didn't want to all my time hole-punching for a binder. It's lightweight, doubles as a writing surface on your lap so you don't have to use the terrible lecture hall tables, and doesn't take up a lot of space. After about 1-2 months just dump the pages you aren't focusing on in a box somewhere.
Ahaha yeahhhh I did that in high school too! Think it'll be a good idea to continue it.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:16 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Where can you get those pads of paper? I have the folder from my high school graduation but I have no idea where to get the pad of paper.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:22 PM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Binder.

Old 08-23-2010 at 04:30 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Binder.
Binders are a lot more flexible and you don't have to bring binders to school. If you take notes on loose paper, you can put them in your binder afterwards.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:32 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i suggest a notebook... binders were jus wayyy to bulky for the cramped lecture setting... i also suggest the clipboard folder thing (one was given to evryone in res last year).. if u want to use a binder i suggest leaving it at home and just use it to store/organize old notes for when u need them later to review
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:35 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i suggest a notebook... binders were jus wayyy to bulky for the cramped lecture setting... i also suggest the clipboard folder thing (one was given to evryone in res last year).. if u want to use a binder i suggest leaving it at home and just use it to store/organize old notes for when u need them later to review
I don't bring binders to class. I print out notes/bring loose-leaf paper to class in a clipboard and then organize it later.

It's a pain to reorganize a notebook after-the-fact (I like making study notes and inserting them into my notes). If you have 5 different classes you'll be lugging around 5 notebooks rather than 1 clipboard.

Old 08-23-2010 at 04:41 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Folder! It's the best of both worlds...thin and not clunky, you can shove random loose sheets of paper in, it doesn't take up much space, and it would work for a course where you take lots of handwritten notes or for a course with lots of handouts.

Vic.And likes this.