MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notebooks AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-23-2010 07:18 PM
Binders? Parking? Logic Academics 8 08-17-2008 03:23 PM
Used But Not Bruised Notebooks temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 8 08-08-2008 10:48 PM
50 Notebooks Project Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 3 11-10-2007 09:40 AM

Notebooks Vs. Binders?

Old 07-24-2011 at 12:50 PM   #16
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I don't like notebooks because I hate when my right hand comes in contact with the spirals. Drives me NUTS.

gguarna likes this.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:06 PM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I don't like notebooks because I hate when my right hand comes in contact with the spirals. Drives me NUTS.
Use every other page
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:12 PM   #18
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

i use one 2 inch binder with 5 dividers for all my courses. print out slides for chem and bio, and have lined paper in my binder for math and physics
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:17 PM   #19
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I use 2 5-subject notebooks, 6 courses + others for rough work/assignments/scrap/doodles. Combined with clip-board in case my bag is too stuffed. I found it much, much easier than multiple binders.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:32 PM   #20
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Use every other page
What about saving trees?!
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:32 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

As you can see, everyone has their own preferences and it also depends on the class. I remember in first year, it took me almost all of first term to figure out what each class required and what works out best for me. Since you`re in Life Sci, it'll be similar for a lot of your classes. Personally, I never got into using my laptop for my notes, it's just not for me.

For classes with powerpoint slides, I have two 1.5-2 inch binders with 2 or 3 subjects in each that I leave at home. Then to class, I print out my slides 4 per page double sided. That way, I save paper, the slides aren't too small and there`s more than enough space for me to write my notes. I also record my lectures in case I need them in the future. So having 4 slides/page leaves enough space for me to add in anything I missed later if I need to listen to the lecture recordings again.

As for class, I take a clipboard with all my printed slides for all the classes I have that day and a few sheets of lined paper just in case I need to add something extra that's on a different topic or last class' topic or something.

As for your courses specifically for first year, I thought it was really useful to have a notebook for Math notes and Psych online lecture notes. However, I had my math practice questions on lined paper or the courseware paper. About Bio and Chem, I used a binder for both of them with dividers between course notes and practice problems on lined paper.

But anyway, experiment and see what works best for you!

GB123 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:34 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
It bugs me too, but it's much less annoying with 1-subject notebooks, if you're okay with having a separate notebook for each subject.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:38 PM   #23
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks for all the responses guys. So I've been thinking based on the replies, does having notebooks for classes that don't have slides and binders for ones that do as well as a binder to keep all practice questions sound like a good idea?

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-24-2011 at 01:45 PM   #24
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

1. Write notes on the .pdfs or lined paper. Or, if you get a .ppt file, write them below it in the comment section. The point is to have something to scribble on in class and to use as a 'rough draft' with as little printer ink and writing as possible.

2. Own notes - textbook influences, shortened/lengthened depending on issues, transcribed into a notebook by hand. This takes a while, but at the end of the year its worth it. I'm started cutting out diagrams and gluing them in. It saves times and isn\t so bad on ink now I've got the hang of it with sizing.

At the end of the year you have a notebook with your own notes for every class, and the originals laying around somewhere if you need them (I never do). Any loose but important sheets (ex, a set of conversions, a page the prof provided instead of lecturing, etc, goes in the 'place of honour' at the front of the spiral notebook. If its really useful I might glue it...lol)

I don't have a lot of practice qs, i hate doing them (my major issues with Orgo...), but this year I'm going to make an effort and do something similar, except use a smaller notebook (I found a bunch of those ones from elementary school, 32 pages, for like 30 cents/4...). Binders are just not practical for me during the year since I take the Go bus and my bag is heavy enough - I just use them at home to store extra pdfs, etc (i use a clipboard to carry around the 'current' ones).

This takes quite a bit of discipline, though I wish the effort showed more in my marks. But it is fun to jut flip through my notebooks casually like I'm reading a light novel while everyone else in Mills scrambles with about 20 sheets of loose paper, a textbook and three or four pdfs.

Last edited by britb : 07-24-2011 at 01:54 PM.

GB123 says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 02:11 PM   #25
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I think that because everyone has their own preferences you're going to have to experiment and find what works for you, by second semester you should have it all worked out to your liking, at least that's how it was for me.

For classes that are based on pdf/power points I print the ones I need the night before class and just bring those to lecture. For classes that have less power points or none at all I use notebooks.

I have a 1.5 inch binder for each class that is heavy on power point slides, so when I go home I put them in their respective binders and it's much better than dragging around your whole binder for each class you have that day. I also have a 1.5 inch binder that I put all the notes I need for each day in along with some lined paper just in case I want to add to notes or something. Then when I go to a class I take the notes I need out of the binder, making it much easier to write on the small slab we have at our seats in lecture halls.

GB123 says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 02:37 PM   #26
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

I'm thinking of just bringing an iPad to class. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but it's worth a try
Old 07-24-2011 at 03:03 PM   #27
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
I'm thinking of just bringing an iPad to class. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but it's worth a try
I know someone that did this actually...he used it to wrote notes on, rather than using a notebook.
Old 07-24-2011 at 04:10 PM   #28
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
I know someone that did this actually...he used it to wrote notes on, rather than using a notebook.
That's really cool, but I'd have to have so much self control. What's to stop me from playing Angry Birds all day or something :(
Old 07-25-2011 at 06:05 PM   #29
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

for my first year, i used as notebook with tear-out pages. It worked for all subjects, because i would have all my recent things together, and i wouldn't lose any of the pages as long as i didn't lose the notebook.

Taking notes in class for bio and kin, i would type my notes out on my netbook (until we weren't allowed to use any electronics in bio, due to prof's preference) because i could record the lecture on one-note, and i'd type out everything i thought was important. If i missed something, i could go back to hear that specific part of the lecture easily, and i wouldn't be distracted by reading the pdf/powerpoint. I find i do much better if i don't have the powerpoint or pdf ahead of time, but rather take down everything i need.

for subjects like math, chem, or the days when i don't have my netbook, i'd write my notes out in that tear-out notebook.

when it comes around to studying, i'd print out the prof's pdf/ppt (8 slides/pg so its just big enough for me to read), and go through and make connections and put in tiny little facts/reminders to help myself remember. I'd then go through my typed notes, and rip out the notes from my notes from the notebook (if there are notes in there) and study one set of notes at one time (prof's notes, then my own notes because my own notes is just a matter of recall, and it acts as a review of the prof's notes).

After the unit/topic is complete and we move on to the next topic, i keep the notes in order (prof's notes, then mine) and put them into a plastic sleeve/clear folder, which then goes into a binder. This way, my notes are neatly organized by topic/unit, and each subject has its own binder. Also, i don't have the ripped pages problem (common from using binders) and it's easy to find things.

So if you read through all that, the notebook is really just by stash of paper that prevents me from losing random pages of notes.

for practice questions, like others have suggested, paper in your recycling bin (lab manuals, pages you printed wrong, etc.)

GB123 says thanks to fusionorchid for this post.
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:54 PM   #30
andrea_18

Liked: 4 Times

I use both but I NEVER bring binders to class. Sometimes only to tutorials or labs because I had lots of information that we needed for assignments or group work but we had long desks so there was enough room! It also depends on your class as well.

I find bringing either a clipboard or a notebook to class easiest. You don't want anything bulky given that you don't usually have much writing room in the lectures. I take notes using a clipboard or in a notebook then I usually organize them in binders later. I like notebooks that are already 3-hole punched (or at least the paper inside is) because then you can keep it in the notebook or put it in a binder or do whatever you want! Notebooks for math and calculation subjects work well because everything is in the same spot. If you just have loose paper, you could lose important material. I used a notebook for my math courses and also my finance course and it was very convenient to have everything I needed in one location. You'll thank yourself come exam time!

But everyone has a different method. Try different things and see what works best for you! You may even feel different options work better for different courses. Also, I prefer to write my notes instead of type them because I feel like it sinks in better but with a fast lecturer you may have to switch it up if you can't keep up.

Last edited by andrea_18 : 07-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.

GB123 says thanks to andrea_18 for this post.