Paper Help merc67 Academics 3 03-04-2011 11:02 PM

Notes/Textbooks, Paper vs Digital

Old 08-16-2010 at 07:33 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL37 View Post
Ya I hate binders because they take up so much room.
But I hate writing on the back of pages in notebooks because the rings get in the way.
I'm in a predicament :$
Clipboard. There is no reason to bring an entire binder full of notes to class. Just bring a clipboard and when you get home you can transfer everything.

manda112 likes this.
Old 08-16-2010 at 07:45 PM   #17
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

The pen is mightier than the...keyboard? Anyway pen and paper is a good choice. Although if your like me you'll find a way to waste time/not pay attention with a pen and paper. For example, my orgo notebook ended up being a nice little sketch/doodle book. Pick your poison.
Old 08-16-2010 at 07:49 PM   #18
JL37

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Clipboard. There is no reason to bring an entire binder full of notes to class. Just bring a clipboard and when you get home you can transfer everything.
so true I think I'll do that this year
and I use a pencil instead of a pen because I seem to always make mistakes :p
Old 08-16-2010 at 07:52 PM   #19
lux

Liked: 318 Times

I wish there was an easy way to edit pdf files that are posted. it makes life so much easier and saves so much paper.
Old 08-16-2010 at 07:59 PM   #20
manda112

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:

that's exactly what i do. it works really well .
Old 08-16-2010 at 07:59 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I wish there was an easy way to edit pdf files that are posted. it makes life so much easier and saves so much paper.
I use Nitro, last year I used Foxit.
Old 08-16-2010 at 08:25 PM   #22
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

i liked my laptop for economics, Eng 1P03, and few others. However i found a simple notebook to be infinitely superior for materials eng, physics, and especially math. I also find i have much better memory retention for things i write, so i never actually use the notes...lol
Old 08-16-2010 at 08:30 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Unless you take ELEC ENG 2FH3 and have random inclass quizzes -.-
Old 08-16-2010 at 08:31 PM   #24
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

pen and paper pwns

Doesnt matter if someone steals it, light-easy to carry, can stare at without eye strain, can draw pictures on it, can circle and anotate lecture note diagrams, can rip up if frustrated, can make into paper airplane if bored...

Old 08-16-2010 at 09:01 PM   #25
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

For most of my classes I'm with the consensus, writing my notes on paper is the best way to go. However for some of the classes where there were a lot of notes that couldn't fit on the paper(ended up squishing everything together and couldn't read what I wrote) so I'd use my laptop.
Orgo I actually did a bit of both would use powerpoint to take notes for each slide and would draw out mechanisms on paper (whenever I went to class)
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:03 PM   #26
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fSpades View Post
For most of my classes I'm with the consensus, writing my notes on paper is the best way to go. However for some of the classes where there were a lot of notes that couldn't fit on the paper(ended up squishing everything together and couldn't read what I wrote) so I'd use my laptop.
Orgo I actually did a bit of both would use powerpoint to take notes for each slide and would draw out mechanisms on paper (whenever I went to class)
lol omg i did the same thing! it was so cool
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:06 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
pen and paper pwns

Doesnt matter if someone steals it, light-easy to carry, can stare at without eye strain, can draw pictures on it, can circle and anotate lecture note diagrams, can rip up if frustrated, can make into paper airplane if bored...
You won't get eye strain with a laptop either. You'll be constantly switching your eyes from close view to far view so there's no way your eye muscles can lock.
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:25 PM   #28
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

If going the notebook route, is it worth getting a binder or two? Just in case we get any hand outs? Or... do we ever get handouts?
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:29 PM   #29
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
If going the notebook route, is it worth getting a binder or two? Just in case we get any hand outs? Or... do we ever get handouts?
Some classes do have assignments handed out but for first year the only thing i remember getting were outlines and a periodic table from chem
Old 08-16-2010 at 09:50 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fSpades View Post
Some classes do have assignments handed out but for first year the only thing i remember getting were outlines and a periodic table from chem
and labs too as well as notes if you print them.