MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
Nursing Elective 2009 smashpro1123 General Discussion 9 07-12-2009 09:57 AM

Nursing (2009)

Old 06-06-2009 at 01:04 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Nursing (2009)
Hellooooooo Nurse!

Although technically part of Health Sci, being a nursing student is MUCH different than being a Health Sci student!

There are a bunch of second year Nursing students using MacInsiders, and we're sure they would glad to help you out if you post a question in one of the forums! Make sure you use this thread to indroduce yourself to the rest of the Nursing 2013 class!

You are entering an internationally-renowned program in Nursing, so be proud!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-06-2009 at 11:07 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Hey future nurses!

I'm Davey, and I'm a nursing welcome week rep and going into my second year. Congratulations on making it Mac! You guys are going to have an amazing time! I learned so much in the past year, and I can't wait to start school again. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Also, make sure to check out the facebook group for the class of 2013: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...1 3605&ref=ts

See you at Welcome Week (Look for the Yellow Suits!!),

Davey

Last edited by davey : 06-06-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2009 at 05:00 PM   #3
shhhane

Liked: 1 Time

Woot - nurses unite!
Old 06-29-2009 at 08:37 PM   #4
smashpro1123

Liked: 5 Times

anyone going for the nursing academic session? we didn't have to register for the counselling thing right? but why is it so late July 6... ?
Old 06-29-2009 at 08:39 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpro1123 View Post
anyone going for the nursing academic session? we didn't have to register for the counselling thing right? but why is it so late July 6... ?
No, it is not required to attend. They have it later so that the group can actually access SOLAR. It would be quite funny if it was done the day of. Then you'd see a bunch of frustrated people.
Old 07-06-2009 at 03:06 PM   #6
smashpro1123

anyone for nursing finished their admission requirements yet???

(HCP) CPR w/ AED (july 20,21,22) St. john ambulance
Immunizations (do i only ask for that or other medical records?)
Police record (do i specifically say i'm in nursing and need the vulnerable sector screening) (in my local police station)?

Last edited by smashpro1123 : 07-06-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:22 PM   #7
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

No, the only thing I have completed so far is the Police Records Check. The course calendar suggested that students use the Ontario Education Services Corporation (OESC) web site (http://www.oesc-cseo.org) to request a Police Record Check. It's easy to follow. Keep in mind that police checks can take a few weeks to complete.

I was told that Nursing sends out some information package mid-July. Hopefully that will have some useful information because I can't find any information about what immunizations are needed...
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:30 PM   #8
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Yup. Just check your mail regularly because forms should be coming in and they'll tell you what you need!
Old 07-06-2009 at 09:57 PM   #9
smashpro1123

how long did ur police record check get process?

and dumb question but just to be sure..

which one of the forms am i suppose to print.

A College or University Student who needs an OESC ID Card for a placement in a school or other agency
Click Here for forms.
OR
A Graduating B.Ed Student who is applying for certification with the Ontario College of Teachers
Click Here for forms.
OR
A Graduating College/University Student who is applying for certification with a professional regulatory body other than the Ontario College of Teachers (e.g. the College of Nurses of Ontario)
Click Here for forms.
OR
An individual who requires a written police report for EMPLOYMENT purposes
Click Here for forms.
If you are:
A Tutor in the Classroom, Click Here for forms.
A University or College Instructor or Faculty, Click Here for forms.
OR Click Here if you are a:
Service Provider Contractor
Volunteer
Artist
Old 07-07-2009 at 10:33 AM   #10
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

The website says it takes about 4 weeks (20 business days). I mailed mine around mid-May and received a copy of the report a week into June. It could take longer depending on how many reports they need to process.

Since I am applying to Nursing, I filled out the first form "A College or University Student who needs an OESC ID Card for a placement in a school or other agency". None of the other descriptions apply to me (not graduating with B.Ed., not yet an RN so not applying to CNO, not for employment...for me anyway, not any of the last few descriptions). Read the FAQ on the website for more details.

I selected the $40 option - 1 OESC ID card + 1 original written Police Report. I hope what I did was right otherwise I'm out $40!

Old 07-08-2009 at 11:36 AM   #11
smashpro1123

i chose same things too but oesc has VSS for sure though right?
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:24 PM   #12
maria denise

As long as you picked that choice, don't worry too much about Police Check Clearances, mainly because our program doesn't really start clinicals until the second year. BUT, just make sure you have them so you can get cleared into the program!

smashpro1123 says thanks to maria denise for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 05:42 PM   #13
smashpro1123

i got my nursing package today, and just to be sure.

the mask fitting and mask testing we don't have to do right ( for level 1). ??
Old 07-15-2009 at 06:29 PM   #14
maria denise

You do it towards the end of level I.

smashpro1123 says thanks to maria denise for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 06:32 PM   #15
smashpro1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria denise View Post
You do it towards the end of level I.
both mask fitting and mask testing will be done march of 2010.

ok, i was just making sure, but CPR, Immunizations, Police Record, are the ones due on September.