MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
nursing elective hilaryn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-02-2010 01:59 PM
Nursing (2009) lorend Academics 29 07-24-2009 07:10 PM
Economics elective for Nursing??? macstudent99 Academics 6 12-08-2008 09:46 PM

Nursing Elective 2009

Old 06-27-2009 at 11:06 PM   #1
smashpro1123

Liked: 5 Times

Nursing Elective 2009
Hi, I'm going to be in the nursing Program this coming september and just wondering what would be a good elective since only 1 is available? is anthro a good one? 29th is the start for registration.
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:22 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

A lot of students in my Psych 1A03 and 1AA3 (now 1XX3 and 1X03 respectively) were nursing students. : ) I'd imagine anthro would be a good elective as well.
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:02 PM   #3
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Psych 1XX3 and 1X03 are compulsory courses for Nursing students; I think once you start looking through the timetable,ie, when classes are actually scheduled, it will help you narrow things down.

This page might help you:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...ent/pg103.html
Old 06-29-2009 at 02:19 AM   #4
shhhane

Liked: 1 Time

I'm also going into nursing in september. I had several electives to choose from. Initially I was debating between women's studies, gerontology: aging and society, biology and linguistics. Each elective had a problem, either they conflicted with my other courses or, in biology's case, it had "failed" the requisite portion of the registration and i couldn't do anything but say "FML" several times in my head, so i then decided "screw it". Linguistics D conflicted with my other courses but luckily it was also offered in the evening, so I chose that instead. According to the reviews on this site the course is awesome plus it seems quite interesting. Ratemyprofessor also had good reviews for Moro so overall a pretty good choice if you ask me... well hopefully lol.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:40 AM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

one of my fellow nursing friends took anthro last year and enjoyed it!
Old 07-02-2009 at 03:52 PM   #6
reijc_002

Liked: 0 Times

I also have the same situation,
I wanted to take Bio, but i apparently don't have the requisite >.<
I took chem instead.
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:55 PM   #7
maria denise

Liked: 1 Time

I know this is late, but if you're still thinking, I took Socio 1A06 (night class) w/ Prof Joanisse, and it was a really, straight-forward course. It's all about the study of societies, population, behaviour, etc. It's very straight forward, and her notes are practically her exam. So long as you read the assigned text, go to EVERY class, and study (esp) from her notes, you'll be just fine! I find it also relates with what we talk about in Nursing also! Some suggestions to electives : Labour Studies (mixed reviews from everyone who took it, but a lot said it was very related to nursing)., Anthro , Religious Studies (Love in Western Civilization: I guarantee you, it's a very, very fun course! The readings are quite fun, and the prof, Janet Ross when I took it, was really good in it). In terms of space, level I really does have a fixed schedule. So sad to say, you have to pick an elective that's not in any way conflicting with your main courses. I know a lot of us who took night courses for electives. For biology, there's different types, I believe? I never took it,but I know someone who did during the first term. In any case, good luck with choosing electives! (even though this msg is quite late). But I do believe you have some time to change when SOLAR re-opens again . I gotta check the Mac calendar for that!
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:46 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria denise View Post
I know this is late, but if you're still thinking, I took Socio 1A06 (night class) w/ Prof Joanisse, and it was a really, straight-forward course. It's all about the study of societies, population, behaviour, etc. It's very straight forward, and her notes are practically her exam. So long as you read the assigned text, go to EVERY class, and study (esp) from her notes, you'll be just fine! I find it also relates with what we talk about in Nursing also! Some suggestions to electives : Labour Studies (mixed reviews from everyone who took it, but a lot said it was very related to nursing)., Anthro , Religious Studies (Love in Western Civilization: I guarantee you, it's a very, very fun course! The readings are quite fun, and the prof, Janet Ross when I took it, was really good in it). In terms of space, level I really does have a fixed schedule. So sad to say, you have to pick an elective that's not in any way conflicting with your main courses. I know a lot of us who took night courses for electives. For biology, there's different types, I believe? I never took it,but I know someone who did during the first term. In any case, good luck with choosing electives! (even though this msg is quite late). But I do believe you have some time to change when SOLAR re-opens again . I gotta check the Mac calendar for that!
Yes, you can drop/add courses from July 13th to August 3rd and again August 13th until the drop/add deadlines. The deadline for term 1 and term 3 courses is September 21. The deadline for term 2 courses is January 13.
Old 07-11-2009 at 04:26 PM   #9
Stephy

Liked: 0 Times

honestly...as a nursing student going into my third year...i try and avoid any type of anthro course cause you almost always have to write papers or essays and time just doesnt permit (plus i suck at writing anything not based on theory) . I took econ in my first year and loved it cause when i was swamped i didnt have to go to class and the material is pretty basic...plus no tutorials is always a plus for nursing students cause of our crazy schds But at the same time...if its something you think you'll really enjoy or are really interested in then go for it
Old 07-12-2009
jklm572
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:57 AM   #10
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria denise View Post
I've also heard good things about sociology, but since it's 6 units, (and you only have 3 units of electives first year) you won't be able to take it this year.