MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Nursing Elective 2009 smashpro1123 General Discussion 9 07-12-2009 09:57 AM
Economics elective for Nursing??? macstudent99 Academics 6 12-08-2008 09:46 PM
Which elective? suhaybh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-03-2008 12:28 PM

nursing elective

Old 06-27-2010 at 02:12 PM   #1
hilaryn

Liked: 0 Times

nursing elective
im in nursing and trying to figure out my elective, it seriously feels like nothing at all fits in the schedule first term. any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:03 AM   #2
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

I found first year nursing to be really packed, and on top of that, it was already a fixed schedule. So, night class was the only option for me, since I cuoldn't find any electives fitting my day schedule in the morning. Religious Studies and Sociology fit the night classes timetable.

Good luck in picking your electives!
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:33 PM   #3
WannabeNurse

Pink sapphire, just a question about the fixed schedule of first year Nursing. 'Fixed schedule' means that as first year Nursing students, we cannot pick the days and times of our cores, labs, and tutorials, right? Why does the master course timetable list options for cores, labs, and tutorials for some of our required courses then? My academic advisor could offer no explanation for this. I'm really very confused!
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:58 PM   #4
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNurse View Post
Pink sapphire, just a question about the fixed schedule of first year Nursing. 'Fixed schedule' means that as first year Nursing students, we cannot pick the days and times of our cores, labs, and tutorials, right? Why does the master course timetable list options for cores, labs, and tutorials for some of our required courses then? My academic advisor could offer no explanation for this. I'm really very confused!

there are different cores and tutorial codes because each site has different ones to choose from. Whether you are Mac, Mo-Mac or Conestoga... you choose your clinical or pbl out of the 'Mac' cores or Mohawk cores..etc

there is a small amount of flexibility with first year; you can choose to havey our clinical on wed or fri...and pbl has some options...but generally, A&P is specific times, and Biochem is specific...

unlike some other programs where you choose your classes, the nursing has a specific curriculum with fairly specific times

WannabeNurse says thanks to Charbs for this post.

WannabeNurse likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 03:04 PM   #5
WannabeNurse

THANK YOU!!! finally a straight-forward answer!!! I spent a good number of hours working on and planning my timetable, and for the advisor to tell me that that was all for nothing...I was thinking, Huh?! I'll be relaying this info to my fellow pre-health grads that are in the mo-mac program. Thanks again! You rock!!!
Old 06-30-2010 at 03:12 PM   #6
Charbs

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! finally a straight-forward answer!!! I spent a good number of hours working on and planning my timetable, and for the advisor to tell me that that was all for nothing...I was thinking, Huh?! I'll be relaying this info to my fellow pre-health grads that are in the mo-mac program. Thanks again! You rock!!!

yeah, make sure youchoose the ones appropriate to your site.
and also, for first year we were required to have the same core number for our clinical and pbl for both semesters...
so if you were C01 you had to be C01 for clinical 1st and 2nd semester, as well as C01 for PBL both semesters....

that way your small groups are consistent for the year, makes it easier to transition and get used to the small group format
Old 06-30-2010 at 03:54 PM   #7
WannabeNurse

Does that apply to all the Nursing classes? Or do we have to have the same cores, labs, tutorial numbers (c1, t1) for the two-term courses (i'm assuming yes). I'm confused because I don't know which courses are clinicals and which are PBL's. Maybe all of the courses have both clinical and PBL sections?
Old 06-30-2010 at 04:17 PM   #8
Charbs

NURSING 1F03, 1G03, 1I02, 1J02,

those are your clinical and pbl courses, those 4 need the same core number... for the year...
the rest, like anatomy and biochem dont give an option i dont think to choose tutorial or core numbers if they do just choose the ones that correspond to your site.
Old 06-30-2010 at 04:26 PM   #9
WannabeNurse

...that kinda sucks! So much for having an awesome timetable..lol oh wells. Thanks for the info though!
Old 06-30-2010 at 04:49 PM   #10
WannabeNurse

UGHH that actually completely ruins my schedule!!! On Tuesdays, both semesters, my day starts at 830 and ends at 630...FML!! What kind of sicko forces us to take a class from 530 to 630 both terms?! URGHHH
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:36 PM   #11
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

I don't know why I didn't see this before.. but what Megan said.
Good luck with first year Tiffany!
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:18 PM   #12
WannabeNurse

Thanks Pink! :-)
Old 07-02-2010 at 11:25 AM   #13
Charbs

Quote:
UGHH that actually completely ruins my schedule!!! On Tuesdays, both semesters, my day starts at 830 and ends at 630...FML!! What kind of sicko forces us to take a class from 530 to 630 both terms?! URGHHH

hah yeah tuesdays were a long day, I had the same schedule, clinical tues morn then anatomy core then then anatomy tutorial at 5:30... the tutorials are like case studies every week they show real life examples to understand the material more, its in the same large group setting as the lectures
Old 07-02-2010 at 01:59 PM   #14
WannabeNurse

BOO!!! Tuesdays are gonna be killer. nothing like spending 10 hours at school :-|