MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
Nursing Elective 2009 smashpro1123 General Discussion 9 07-12-2009 09:57 AM

Nursing (2009)

Old 07-15-2009 at 06:34 PM   #16
maria denise

Liked: 1 Time

Towards the end of the year, they hold seminars on mask-fitting, and you have to sign up for one seminar and one mask-fit test.
Old 07-15-2009 at 06:34 PM   #17
maria denise

You got it! : )
Old 07-15-2009 at 06:39 PM   #18
smashpro1123

Liked: 5 Times

thanks so much for ur help.

greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2009 at 06:45 PM   #19
maria denise

You're Welcome!
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:17 PM   #20
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Nursing - Footwear recommendations
What factors do I need to consider when buying shoes for nursing? Specifically...
  • Colour restrictions
  • Style (walking, running, trainers etc.)
  • Protection
  • Traction
  • Breathability
Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:31 PM   #21
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
What factors do I need to consider when buying shoes for nursing? Specifically...
  • Colour restrictions
  • Style (walking, running, trainers etc.)
  • Protection
  • Traction
  • Breathability
Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks
i wouldnt worry too much about shoes in first year, you won't be wearing them significantly. you do need to wear shoes that are mostly white though. i wore running shoes.
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:34 PM   #22
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Best Nursing shoes ever :
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:39 PM   #23
Sideout

I'm entering the accelerated stream. I think we start in the hospitals in January (and my feet are probably done growing!).
Old 07-20-2009 at 10:42 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Best Nursing shoes ever :
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIICE! Those are pretty awesome XD
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:14 PM   #25
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
I'm entering the accelerated stream. I think we start in the hospitals in January (and my feet are probably done growing!).
I'm actually planning on entering the accelerated stream next year, could you tell me a bit more about it?

What was the supplementary application like? What were your marks like? What program were you in before switching, and what courses did you take?

Thanks for any info you have!
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:31 AM   #26
maria denise

I got this from the Nursing Website:

BScN Basic - Accelerated (F) Stream
(20 Months)

The Basic-Accelerated (F) Stream is available to those applying from a university program of studies. Students may complete the B.Sc.N. program of studies in five academic terms.
The Accelerated BScN Stream starting in September 2007, is not open to students currently registered in the Basic Streams (A) or (D) of the BScN Program at McMaster or any other nursing program.
If you have any questions, please contact the Coordinator of Studies Office in HSC 2J34.
Admission Requirements
Normally to be considered in this category, applicants to the program must:
  1. achieve a Cumulative Average of at least B- in all university degree credit courses taken.
  2. complete a minimum of 54 units of university credit which include a grade of at least C- on each of the following required courses:
a. 6 units of Psychology of which at least three units consist of Introductory Psychology
b. 6 units of human physiology OR 6 units of human anatomy and physiology
c. 6 units of biochemistry (preferred) OR 6 units of chemistry AND
d. 3 units of statistics
  1. apply online to OUAC at www.ouac.on.ca using Form 105D and pay the required fees by February 15.
  2. complete the supplementary application on-line by clicking here
Curriculum
Students admitted to this stream will enter Level III of the BScN Program. Students are expected to meet the residency requirement of the university.
Registration to Practise Nursing
On receiving the B.Sc.N. degree after successful completion of the (F) Stream of the B.Sc.N. program, graduates are eligible to write the Canadian Registered Nurses Examination (CRNE) which is administered by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). Application to write the CRNE is made through the Faculty of Health Sciences. The CNO requires all applicants for registration to provide a recent criminal record synopsis (CIPC check) as part of the RN registration process. If you have any questions related to the Regulated Health Professions Act, please contact the College of Nurses of Ontario directly at 1-800-387-5526.
Old 07-21-2009 at 01:59 PM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Thanks Maria, but I had actually already seen the website info. I was just hoping to actually be able to talk to someone who had entered the accelerated stream and could tell me what it was like.
Old 07-21-2009 at 03:20 PM   #28
maria denise

No problem! I just decided to copy and paste it for informational purposes! I wasn't really aware of the accelerated stream until I saw this. In any case, good luck !! : )
Old 07-21-2009 at 06:19 PM   #29
Sideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I'm actually planning on entering the accelerated stream next year, could you tell me a bit more about it?

What was the supplementary application like? What were your marks like? What program were you in before switching, and what courses did you take?

Thanks for any info you have!
To answer your questions...

-The supplementary application is completed online. There is an "Admission Questionnaire". It requires careful thinking. You can find a copy of the application here: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/docs/...licatio n.pdf
-I have a Life Sciences degree. I wouldn't worry about GPA. They don't post the minimum entrance averages from last year anyway. How they make selections could be heavily influenced by the supplementary application.
-Meet the admission requirements posted on the Nursing website and come up with good answers to the questions. Then cross your fingers.

Really ask yourself why you want to go into Nursing. Do lots of background research. Talk to some registered nurses about their experiences. List the pros and cons of the profession. Then decide whether you should apply or not.
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:10 PM   #30
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

I called Health Services and was told that I don't need my immunizations, yet. They attend to upper level students first. They start doing first year students in November - January. Has anyone else been told this?