MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nursing help! Mabdel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-02-2011 09:02 PM
Nursing Electives Katelyn999 Academics 4 06-02-2011 03:43 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Nursing/Electives emilysteele First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2010 01:25 AM
Nursing: choosing electives that pose conflicts Stephy Academics 3 06-20-2009 03:07 PM

Nursing Electives

Old 06-18-2011 at 07:23 PM   #1
Mabdel

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing Electives
Hey!
I'm entering MacMaster in September for Nursing. I know that i have to choose one elective for term 1, but its SO hard because i have no idea what my schedule is going to be like. So, i guess im asking: do i just choose an elective that i like and hope that it doesnt make a conflict? Any advice on which electives are easy for first year?

Also, if there is a conflict, when will i know and what can i do?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:34 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

take an elective you find interesting, the world is your oyster. i think hlth age 1bb3 would be a good one to do for nursing. when you register it will tell you if there is a conflict or not, best bet is to look at the timetable and plan everything out before registering. if there is a conflict you'll have to sign up for another class.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:47 PM   #3
igmelin

Liked: 4 Times

I just finished my first year of nursing The common electives nurses took were anthropology, communications, biology, linguistics, just the general introductory courses. Make a mock timetable to figure out what will fit with the nursing schedule. Good luck!!
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:54 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabdel View Post
Hey!
I'm entering MacMaster in September for Nursing. I know that i have to choose one elective for term 1, but its SO hard because i have no idea what my schedule is going to be like. So, i guess im asking: do i just choose an elective that i like and hope that it doesnt make a conflict? Any advice on which electives are easy for first year?

Also, if there is a conflict, when will i know and what can i do?
Thanks
Make a list of 5 courses or so that you're interested in. I agree with Hth Age 1BB3 being a good elective for a Nursing student. I know my roommate in first year, she took a religious studies course. So really, you're not limited at all, take a subject you're interested in and like I said, pick more than one just in case. Since you're a first year student, I believe course selection isn't for a week or so, and that's why you should build a mock timetable. Also, when you first log in for course selection you just pick courses, you won't know of conflicts till sometime in the beginning of August when SOLAR randomly generates a timetable for you. After that, you can go in and switch cores, labs, tutorials and such when SOLAR re-opens.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:57 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Here's all about SOLAR deadlines: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...%20FINAL. pdf
And here's how to make a mock timetable: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ble-22732.html