MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Nursing/Electives emilysteele First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2010 01:25 AM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
Hard Time Choosing Electives Alvand Academics 6 09-01-2008 05:16 PM

Nursing: choosing electives that pose conflicts

Old 06-19-2009 at 09:41 PM   #1
Stephy

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing: choosing electives that pose conflicts
Hey there...

I'm a third year nursing student in the MoMac BScN program and am having a very difficult time finding electives that fit into my schedule. There are two electives I really want to take (Econ 1b03 and HTHST 2D03) but the problem is they both conflict with my potential clinical. Since the registar currently has our clinicals scheduled as two full days (7 am to 730 pm) even though we will only be working one 12 hour shift for one day ( or two 6 hour shifts on two days)...it is impossible to make a schedule that has no conflicts. So my question is, can I still register for the electives I want knowing full well I will have conflicts? On SOLAR it wouldn't let me choose a core or tutorial for those electives but I just left them in there anyways.... am I still registered in those courses or do I need to find electives that fit without conflicts to meet my unit requirements? If anyone knows how to register in classes that pose conflicts that would help me out a lot! Sorry if this is super confusing...welcome to nursing haha
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:28 PM   #2
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

I know what you mean. It is really hard to take nursing electives. Because of clinicals scheduled for two days, it is hard to take anything. At the Mac site, clincials are Thursday or Friday, so you cannot book any electives for Wednesday evening, or Thursday or Friday. And that pretty much leaves no electives left.

If you really want to take those electives, I would recommend staying registered in the course and waiting to see when you clincial is going to be. The lists will be posted a few weeks before the start of school, so you can change stuff around then. And you are not going to want to take anything the night before clinical, since you really need that time to do patient prep for the next day and try to get some sleep before 5:30am rolls around

Good luck trying to find electives. Night classes work the best, or take them them during the summer.
Old 06-20-2009 at 01:03 AM   #3
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy View Post
am I still registered in those courses or do I need to find electives that fit without conflicts to meet my unit requirements? If anyone knows how to register in classes that pose conflicts that would help me out a lot! Sorry if this is super confusing...welcome to nursing haha
Once you choose a course and register for it you've reserved a spot in the course, regardless of schedule time conflicts. I would suggest keeping your electives for now, and then when the timetables come out (and you finalize your clinical times), make the decision of whether or not you are willing to skip the class (or go to a different section on different days). Like Nicole said, you could also take an elective offered at night, but you are definitely in your elective (and you're lucky too for getting a spot! ).

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2009 at 03:07 PM   #4
Stephy

Liked: 0 Times

thanks guys!

so just stick with what I have selected huh? this whole thing about not being able to pick a core and tutorial has me worried still... but as long as im registered and secured a spot im happy