MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
having a hard time with osap! jen.moskalyk Financial Aid 1 07-14-2010 08:37 PM
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
will titles give me a hard time? sinthusized Academics 2 09-04-2009 12:20 PM
Nursing: choosing electives that pose conflicts Stephy Academics 3 06-20-2009 03:07 PM

Hard Time Choosing Electives

Old 06-27-2008 at 01:36 PM   #1
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

Hard Time Choosing Electives
Hello,

I'm entering the Commerce program, and I'm having a hard time choosing my electives, due to the large number of courses I am interested in. I have 4 course slots left to fill in with the following electives:

ANTHROP 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: CULTURE AND SOCIETY
ANTHROP 1B03 WORLD ARCHAEOLOGY
CMST 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNICATION
CSCT 1BB3 (ENGLISH 1BB3) CULTURAL STUDIES AND CONSUMER CULTURE
FRENCH 1A06 INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH STUDIES: ADVANCED LEVEL
GEOG 1HA3 HUMAN GEOGRAPHIES: SOCIETY & CULTURE
HISPANIC 1Z06 BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE SPANISH
PSYCH 1XX3 FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOLOGY, NEUROSCIENCE & BEHAVIOUR
THTR&FLM 1B03 INTRODUCTION TO FILM ANALYSIS
PHILOS 1E03 PROBLEMS OF PHILOSOPHY

Although I am very interested in these courses, I am worried that the essay components will be a tough challenge (not that I do not welcome a challenge lol)

Also, although I am in French Immersion, my french is not very strong, especially grammer and writing. I feel as if I will struggle in the Advanced class. In addition, while I do want to keep my ability to speak French, I am interested in other languages as well, such as Spanish, and maybe even Japanese.

I am choosing PSYCH 1X03 as one of the required courses, which would prepare me for PSYCH 1XX3 if i want to take it.

My mandatory courses are :
COMMERCE 1E03
COMP SCI 1BA3
ECON 1B03 + ECON 1BB3
MATH 1M03
PSYCH 1X03 (chosen out of a selection of 3 other courses)

What I'm really asking is, is there a proper balance to have between essay and non-essay courses? I am worried that having too many writing/research-based courses will be too difficult for me to juggle.

Thank you

Old 06-27-2008 at 01:47 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you're in business, (or thinking about it) take a language. It is really beneficial for in the business world. Japanese is supposed to be really difficult, especially if you're unfamiliar with that language family. The department will do a placement test for your level of french, because you did immersion.

CSCT 1BB3 is the opposite of what you would take in Business. It is a critique of marketing and consumer practices...it would be interesting for you I think.

Anthro 1A03 would also be pretty good because you would be able to understand other cultures...again something useful for Business. I know a bunch of Business students who have minored in Anthro, and who have found praticial applications for the courses.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Alvand says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-28-2008 at 04:05 PM   #3
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

thanks

anyone else?
Old 06-28-2008 at 10:52 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'd try and take a good range of courses. First year is great because you get to try out so many interesting courses and new things. Once you get to second year you're major kicks in and you're taking pretty much all of the same thing.

I would recommend CMST 1A03 just because I'm in Communication Studies and 1A03 was an interesting course as I know it has opened up a lot of people to Communication Studies who hadn't thought of taking it before (mainly because of Dr. Sevigny). I don't believe he is teaching it this year though, so that's a pity. But it is still interesting. I've reviewed this course in the REVIEWS section.

CSCT 1BB3 is good for marketing and critiquing advertisements.. seeing the mechanics that go behind advertising (aka. what makes it tick). I'd recommend it for a business student. DOES have essay writing though. I've reviewed this course in the REVIEWS section.

THTR&FLM 1B03 - I'd recommend if you're looking for a course that is both easy and interesting. A good course to take for something different. I've reviewed this course in the REVIEWS section.

I've heard Anthropology can be an interesting subject. May want to try it out.

I'd probably stay away from the Geo, unless you're really into geography as a subject. While the courses have been mentioned as 'bird courses' a few times around here, in the more recent years they have made the courses much more challenging.

Psych 1XX3... I'd probably not take (yet). You're already taking one Psych for your requirements. See if you like it. If you do like it... then you can always take 1XX3 later in your second year as an elective for example.

So I'd probably pick 3 from the above... and then take a language of your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
Hello,

I'm entering the Commerce program, and I'm having a hard time choosing my electives, due to the large number of courses I am interested in. I have 4 course slots left to fill in with the following electives:

ANTHROP 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: CULTURE AND SOCIETY
ANTHROP 1B03 WORLD ARCHAEOLOGY
CMST 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNICATION
CSCT 1BB3 (ENGLISH 1BB3) CULTURAL STUDIES AND CONSUMER CULTURE
FRENCH 1A06 INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH STUDIES: ADVANCED LEVEL
GEOG 1HA3 HUMAN GEOGRAPHIES: SOCIETY & CULTURE
HISPANIC 1Z06 BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE SPANISH
PSYCH 1XX3 FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOLOGY, NEUROSCIENCE & BEHAVIOUR
THTR&FLM 1B03 INTRODUCTION TO FILM ANALYSIS
PHILOS 1E03 PROBLEMS OF PHILOSOPHY

Although I am very interested in these courses, I am worried that the essay components will be a tough challenge (not that I do not welcome a challenge lol)

Also, although I am in French Immersion, my french is not very strong, especially grammer and writing. I feel as if I will struggle in the Advanced class. In addition, while I do want to keep my ability to speak French, I am interested in other languages as well, such as Spanish, and maybe even Japanese.

I am choosing PSYCH 1X03 as one of the required courses, which would prepare me for PSYCH 1XX3 if i want to take it.

My mandatory courses are :
COMMERCE 1E03
COMP SCI 1BA3
ECON 1B03 + ECON 1BB3
MATH 1M03
PSYCH 1X03 (chosen out of a selection of 3 other courses)

What I'm really asking is, is there a proper balance to have between essay and non-essay courses? I am worried that having too many writing/research-based courses will be too difficult for me to juggle.

Thank you

Alvand says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 08-31-2008 at 01:50 PM   #5
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

i just want to thanks lorend and chad for the detailed responses. i was wondering of the same things and your responses really helped out. thx.

i choose Physics 1L03 as a elective, its also been called "baby physics". i was wondering if you know anything about it?
Old 08-31-2008 at 01:51 PM   #6
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

is the physics 1L03 going to be hard? easy? any tips/hints suggestions?
Old 09-01-2008 at 05:16 PM   #7
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Just some notes...

1. Languages are 6 units, so you would only need 6 units more of courses.

2. Since you were in French immersion, they apparently will not let you take a placement test. They assume that you will be at the advanced level, and so you can only enroll in that level.

3. If you don't think you want to take a 'risk' with French, maybe it would be better to start over and learn a new language. I also recommend that you choose at least a language for the same reason as lorend.