MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Nursing Caitlyn Academics 158 07-23-2011 10:50 AM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Nursing help!

Old 06-01-2011 at 07:57 PM   #1
Mabdel

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing help!
Hello all! I'm going to Mac in September for nursing and im so confused!
Which courses are already scheduled in for me? When i get to register on SOLAR, do i get to choose all my course times, or just some of them (and which ones?!). Also, Nursing 1K02....is that no classes and only community service?

Thanks...this feels overwhelming
Old 06-01-2011 at 08:18 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

When you choose your classes on SOLAR, you will have classes, tutorials, and labs slots to pick.
Essentially you'll be choosing c01, c02, etc, t01,t02, etc... When you first pick the course, you'll automatically get assigned sections, but you can change them. Once you pick all your courses, you wait a bit, and a time table will be generated for you. If your selections ended up being... bad... then you'll get scheduling conflicts (ie. a class of one course conflicting with the lab class or tutorial of another course.

Its suggested that you look at the master timetable for your courses and plan out which combinations work best for you ahead of time (in excel, or a similar program), so you'll know which sections to pick when SOLAR opens on the date for people in level 1 nursing.
Old 06-01-2011 at 09:23 PM   #3
joanab

Liked: 2 Times

I am also starting nursing in the fall! If you look at the course info it states: 32 hours service learning, four lectures (one hour each), four seminars (one hour each); two terms. The scheduled time is either for the lecture or seminar. The 32 hours of service has to be done on your own time.
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:29 PM   #4
alyciag

Perhaps I can shed some light on the situation cause I have been through first year nursing.

1K02 has large group classes which are the lectures and small group classes which are the seminars spread throughout the year.
Although there isn't really in class teaching, you will have to spend time out in the community volunteering once a week to get the required 32 hours you need by the end of the year with the placement you choose.
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:47 AM   #5
Mabdel

ok...so let me get this straight:
when i log onto SOLAR on the date for nursing, i get to choose the sections (ex. Co1 or Co2) and same for labs and tutorials. then, if there is a conflict, i have to work it out later.

for IKO2, it says its two terms...does this mean that i WILL BE IN CLASS for these two terms for 1K02? or can i schedule in another class for the same time?

also, i heard that same labs/tutorials are preassigned. how can i work out my courses if im not sure which ones are/when they are?

ha, can you tell im excited/nervous!? Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:01 PM   #6
alyciag

Go look at the master timetable, it has all the times of each core so that hopefully you will schedule all your courses so that there is no conflict

For 1K02, you will only be in class a handful of times (I think 8 throughout the whole year). The rest of the time, you will be doing your service learning outside of the classroom and on your own time.

Finally, I don't recall labs or tutorials being preassigned. I just know that you choose the lab/tutorial that fits into your schedule nicely and those times can again be seen on the master timetable.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:02 PM   #7
Rika88

Hey!
I was trying to figure out the same thing,
A girl said all the nursing classes except K02 you have to pick the same Core class (ex. C03 or C04)
and every other class you can pick whatever you want. (so basically there are some restrictions)
Im glad other people are so excited and on top of all this