MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Mac Nursing

Old 07-20-2007 at 09:14 AM   #1
Caitlyn

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Nursing
Post your questions/comments/frustrations here

Remember to check the package that will be coming in the mail for more information about NUBS!

Last edited by Caitlyn : 07-28-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2007 at 01:00 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Great! Some info on nursing to get us started:

Why Choose Nursing?
More than just a job, nursing is a career that will offer you a wide range of choices and opportunities throughout your working life. Nurses are employed everywhere from hospitals to communities to schools to industries – just to name a few!
Make a difference in the lives of others: Become a professional nurse. Take up the opportunities for nursing leadership, team work and the ability to put current high-quality health care research into practice!
For more information on nursing as a career, please visit the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA).

Why Choose McMaster?
The School of Nursing provides high-quality, innovative nursing education in a unique educational setting. Our programs promote nursing as a caring, client-centred, scientifically-based profession. Our goal is to prepare you for practice in a wide variety of health care settings through curricula that are responsive to real world needs. Our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc.N.) Program is delivered in partnership with Mohawk College and Conestoga College.

The School of Nursing pioneered problem-based learning (PBL) in nursing education and we continue to believe that this approach best prepares our students for the roles that they will hold after graduation. PBL involves small-group, self-directed learning that emphasizes interpersonal skills, independent learning, and leadership qualities. Learning is a process of inquiry, a skill to develop as a life-long activity in an environment conducive to openness and sharing between faculty and students. Emphasis on small-group tutorials and self-directed learning promotes the development of critical thinking abilities and self-evaluation skills. In addition to the professionals who will teach you throughout your time here at the School of Nursing, extensive multi media, laboratory and library resources support you in independent study. Students apply concepts from nursing and related disciplines to their experiences in classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings.

Our Educational Methods
One of many advantages of Nursing at McMaster is the opportunity to get to know both your professors and your classmates well; most of the classes you will take will have no more than 12 participants. This provides a learning environment that prepares nurses to use leadership skills in nursing and with multidisciplinary health care teams.
We believe that learning is a process of inquiry and collaboration in which the student and faculty tutor, as well as other clinical teachers, work toward a common goal or outcome. The process is student-centred and occurs through dialogue within a context of respectful relationship(s).

Professional Nursing Practice
You will have many opportunities throughout your program to put theory into practice in clinical settings. Through our partnerships with a wide variety of hospitals, agencies, and community settings, you will experience multiple locations and specialties that will help you to decide what specialty is right for you. There are also exciting opportunities for nursing placements in outpost and international settings! Learn more about nursing placements.

NEW in 2006 is our Clinical Learning Centre! In this setting, you will have the opportunity to practice skills learned on simulation equipment and work with interprofessional student teams to solve health care scenarios.

Research and Evidence-Based Practice
The School of Nursing strongly believes that the best nursing practice is based on scientific evidence. Our program gives you experience with the research process and teaches you to gather and critically evaluate research to promote critical thinking and problem solving skills. Evidence-based practice supports sound decision making and continuous learning.

The University Experience
There are many opportunities to get involved both in the activities of the School (such as MUNSS and MacSoc) and in the university itself. McMaster is committed to valuing cultural diversity and building an inclusive community in which students can learn and excel. For more information on the University, please visit the Prospective Students Page.
Join us in contributing to nursing and to the improvement of health for all!
Old 07-25-2007 at 11:07 PM   #3
weird_chick

Chad, I am not used to this system of 12 people per class. So what do we do in that class with so little people??How are the lessons going to be structured like??
Old 07-25-2007 at 11:20 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird_chick View Post
Chad, I am not used to this system of 12 people per class. So what do we do in that class with so little people??How are the lessons going to be structured like??
Hi Roxana! Thanks for the questions. I'm not in nursing so I will let Caitlyn answer your questions since she is part of the Welcome Week Planning Committee for Nursing and knows a lot more about the program than I do

But being in Multimedia, which is similar since we have very small classes of only a dozen people, I find the small classes are a hugely positive advantage over large lecture classes. Usually lecture classes can range between 200 and 500 people... some are massive and held in MDCL where you have very little interaction with the professor. However, with small classes it is great because you have a lot more personal one on one time with the professor before and after class to talk about the material and ask questions, and usually the professor is more open to allowing for open discussion with the rest of the class by letting people raise their hand and ask questions... which is rarely done in large lectures. Of course there is small group time with your tutorial classes, but having a small more intimate group of people during lecture I see as a good thing

my two cents
Old 07-26-2007 at 08:59 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I also see smaller classes as a good thing. As you go into upper years, you tend to specialize, and thus your classes get smaller. It gives you the option of knowing your classmates better (some of my classmates from one class and I are good friends now), as well as you profs on a more intimate basis (which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) if you are thinking of doing post-graduate studies or professional school.

My two cents also.
Old 07-26-2007 at 09:49 AM   #6
Caitlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird_chick View Post
Hi Roxana,

In nursing we have a mixture of large lectures (like anatomy, psychology and the other science courses you will take in upper years), and small problem based learning classes (PBL, Clinical and the tutorials for the science courses).

Those small groups often involve a nursing professor who takes on the role of "tutor" and facilitator. Yourself, and the other students develop questions based on a "client scenario". Once the questions are developed, you and the other students will come back the next week and present the answers to the questions.

Sometimes you do not have a client scenario, but rather specific questions related to nursing that each student in the group is assigned. You present your answer the next week to the group.

The tutor helps direct the group through this process. In first year the group tends to be much more dependent on the tutor to stimulate discussion, to confirm information and to direct how the case should be approached. Students begin to become more independent throughout the four years.

Small groups are really awesome - by the end of the 4 years, you will pretty much know (or at least know of) everyone in your year of nursing.
Old 07-26-2007 at 11:12 PM   #7
weird_chick

Thanks guys for all the info. Even though now I have strong urges to faint at the thought of what's coming hopefully, it won't be complete hell. What are some tips from upper-year students to succeed in these classes???How are the exams in univ.?? Are notes from high-school going to be useful?? srry for all the questions....:nerdhap py:
Old 07-26-2007 at 11:27 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Some general tips for you:

- go to class. it seems really simple, and stupid, i know. but there is a strong correlation to students who attend class to those who do well.
- get enough sleep
- make sure to eat well
- do things to de-stress
- TIME MANAGEMENT!!!!
- do your readings
- don't be afraid to talk to your TA's or instructors if you don't understand something or if you have questions. they really aren't that scary, intimidating-seeming, yes, but not scary
- DO NOT PULL ALL-NIGHTERS OR CRAM

As for the exams:
For myself at least, I just found the exams to be longer (time-wise) versions of exams from highschool. It was more volume of work in comparison to difficulty level. However, my high school and your high school may have been completely different, so that is all I can really tell you, unfortunately.

Bringing high school notes:
It can't hurt. Perhaps there is a concept you weren't so good with earlier, and the way they explain it here doesn't make sense to you. Having more than one way of understanding a concept could be beneficial to you. For myself, and high school notes, I recall some things I learned in grade 12 world issues were the same as i learned in the moral issues philosophy class and politics of the third world; thus, some of my notes were helpful.
Old 07-27-2007 at 08:03 AM   #9
Caitlyn

Hi again,

In PBL and Clinical you need to do your work. Anything that is assigned to you - DO IT! Make sure you post everything on "learnlink" too (you will find more about this wonderful program later). I would also suggest that you look into information on "small group learning" because your PBL tutor will LOVE you if you are familiar with some of the theories, etc.

You will also begin to figure out what to read. Although hundreds of pages may be assigned to you in Anatomy, it is nearly impossible to read them all (especially if you plan on enjoying first year). Just read what you need to - anything you don't really understand from the lectures.
Old 07-27-2007 at 11:49 AM   #10
Davis

Nursing?
Dear Caitlyn,

Wow reading this has made me want to switch into Nursing now! It sounds like the BEST program at Mac!!!!

Thank you for being soooo thorough

Sincerely,

Me
Old 07-28-2007 at 02:32 PM   #11
weird_chick

Thanks, guys and gals for all the useful info. It sounds so exciting, I can't wait until September.
Old 07-30-2007 at 10:44 PM   #12
SaraM

so on the welcome week schedule i saw that our faculty trip is on thursday.
which is all the first day of university classes.

is this the first day for everyone except first years!?

whats the deal.
i know all first year nurses have some biochemistry class at one point during the scheduled acitvities
Old 07-31-2007 at 09:34 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Faculty night occurs on the first day of classes, yes. And no, all first year students, as well as all other students have class that day. That also goes for night classes.

Typically, the faculty planners will try to arrange activities so that it will not interfer with classes, and thus students missing faculty night. If you have a bio chem class during the activities as you said you have to make a choice to either attend class, or go to the activity.
Old 07-31-2007 at 02:31 PM   #14
SaraM

the biochem was a set class for all first year nurses, does that mean we all have to choose? like the class was on the preset time table.
Old 07-31-2007 at 03:35 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

you will find out for sure once you get your schedule finalized friday/next week.

but if it conflicts, yes you will have to make the choice over which is more important: the first class or faculty night.