MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Mac Nursing

Old 01-05-2008 at 01:06 AM   #46
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I can't tell you too much, not being in nursing. But, they're called murses (as I'm sure you're aware), and well-liked by the girls in eng.

But to answer an earlier question, here is all the information about the program from the undergrad calendar: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_304.htm

And yes, Mac Nurses do have clinical components. When I was doing my highschool co-op at Sick Kids there was a Nursing student from Mac there in the same clinic as me.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-05-2008 at 10:06 AM   #47
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

good to know. thanks for the info. =)
Old 01-05-2008 at 01:56 PM   #48
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Sorry I couldn't be of specific help. I'm afraid what I offered is pretty general.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-19-2008 at 02:36 PM   #49
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

I was just wondering what kind of gr 12 marks everyone got to get into the nursing program. I heard it's a very competitive program and want an idea of how competitive it is, lol. I got about an 85.6 avg for first semester and an 89 second semester midterms - do you think this is good enough to get accepted? :\ the nursing program is really the only program at mac i see myself in and i'm kind of worried that even though it's within the range it may not guarantee me a spot. soo, if ya don't mind sharing and easing my "pain" that'd be great!
Old 04-19-2008 at 02:39 PM   #50
davey
Elite Member

On the Mac nursing website... it says:

"The admission average can vary each year but it has been 85-87% for the last few years."

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/educ_bscn_admit.shtml

I got accepted into this program in late February... i had a 93% average first semester and right now (second semester, mid terms) i have an 88%...

... and judging from your marks... you seem to be in range. maybe just wait awhile for your second semester midterm marks to get sent in. =)

Last edited by dvy88 : 04-19-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2008 at 11:03 PM   #51
SaraM

Liked: 0 Times

i'm just finishing 1st year mac nursing..... soo...
back in highschool, my final average was 89%, and the cutoff was 83-86% and i'm not sure what the final cutoff was...
having high grades will definitely benifit you, as it reflects good work habits that are already formed...
which you will definitely need for first year.

you have 2 nursing-specific classes, i had mondays and fridays (8:30 classes :( !) in which you are presented scenarios and you have to talk out the situation and then interview and actor.
in the other nursing class, the clinical aspect, you learn how to do vital signs, and different body assessments (all the hands-on stuff), but you don't go into a hospital setting with actual patients until 2nd year.

your work habits will also help you through anatomy... which you take with 2nd year health sci students and 3 year biomed engineers and midwives! its more extensive than the general anatomy, as there are 3 lectures a week as well as a tutorial/lab and you have 3 essays, as well as 2 midterms and 2 "finals".

the other required health sci course is biochemistry.. which is an intense review of biology and chemistry from highschool... its not that hard if you keep up with your work.

and psych is not bad if you take proper notes.. but they might be revising the course for next year..

1st year isnt bad, as long as you keep on top of your work.

and although the majority of nurses are female, i know quite a few males in my level.

I'm going to be a nursing welcome week rep for this coming frosh week!
so if you have any more questions feel free to post here or email me at
[email protected]

and see you (hopefully) in september!

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 04-24-2008 at 12:04 AM   #52
shleyaa

wow, thanks that was really informative! i'm really thinking of going into nursing, but being the indecisive person that i am, i have one other option - medical radiation sciences. i'm actually leaning more towards nursing, but if you could maybe share your thoughts on how you decided on nursing? what sort of qualities should one possess in order to succeed in this career? i'm just afraid of not liking it one i'm in the program, but from what you've told me i think i would enjoy it? i dont know if i'm making any sense... a little voice in the back of my head is telling me that this doubt is a sign that i shouldn't be a nurse lol. i understand that it's a pretty serious job, taking care of patients and whatnot, and that you really have to love it to be good at it and enjoy it at the same time.

SOO... a penny for your thoughts?
Old 04-24-2008 at 12:23 AM   #53
SaraM

well...
i was a stress case when deciding on where to go and what program to go into..
i was accepted into western for health sci with plans to go into med school,
so it was a life-changing decision.... it shaped my future career.

i took into consideration what i would do if i didnt get into med school...
and i was looking for of the hands on aspect... and personal nature of nursing.

in first year they teach you the fundamental of understanding a patient...
its more of a foundation builder, with more textbook work and reflection than anything.
i'm an outgoing person with a passion for people...
as far as i know for you to enjoy a career in nursing, you need to have that passion.
a nursing student needs to be hard-working and willing to put themselves out there to try new things. Learning assessments for the first time were intimidating, but i put myself out there and got the hang of it through practice.

and doubt is nothing to worry about... i had my doubts, but the things i learned this year got rid of them and made me excited to be in this career path.

my advice is to weigh your options, and try to invision yourself in each career. who knows, medrad might be your choice..... but i say give nursing a serious thought... especially macs program.

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 04-24-2008 at 07:44 PM   #54
shleyaa

i find it quite funny how the situation you were in is the exact one i'm in right now! i have plans to go to med school (if i'm up to it) after nursing, or to get my nursing practitioner's ceritificate. anyway, thanks for your input; i think i might just choose mac's nursing program once (crosses fingers) i get accepted!

i do; however, have a few more questions what electives did you take in first year? do you think it'd be possible to minor in french, let's say, in this kind of program? aand do you get to buy your own stethoscope/scrubs/sphygmomanometers in first year?!

thanks for being so helpful

ps. how do you become a welcome week rep?
Old 04-24-2008 at 08:02 PM   #55
SaraM

oh no problem!

first year electives... were difficult to figure out, as only random ones fit in your schedule.
i originally had chosen environmental science and gerentology... but they did not fit... so after 5 hours of arranging, i settled on linguistics and human geography...
i realize that they're 2 completely random subjects but i wanted a change of pace.
my friend took a really good nursing-specific course N1H03, and she said that was a valuable experience.
at nursing information sessions, we were told they don't recommend minors as it puts alot more stress on a student, and it doesn't put you ahead of any other graduating nurse when it comes to employment (well, unless you're in a french speaking area). If you do plan on doing the minor, plan to take summer courses as well, because with the clinical workload increasing every year, i'm told thats its extemely hard to do both during the school year.

and:
-stethoscope: yes. you need it for your testing at the end of term one when you do vital signs, so you need one for around late october?
-scrubs: yes, i bought a pair, and wore them in the clinical learning centre. it all depends on the consensus your group comes to as to when you want to wear them.
-blood pressure cuff (too lazy to spell the other word): yes, used once again for the vital signs assessment (and you get to practice on your family!)

welcome week reps are upper year students that go through an application and interview process and are picked by the nursing welcome week planners.
if you do come to mac, you'd be able to do it second year and beyond!

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 04-25-2008 at 08:16 AM   #56
davey
Elite Member

wowie! thanks for all that info!

but im curious, how much did your marks drop (if at all) from high school, when you finished first year?

and how was human geography?? im planning to take it! =)

p.s. that anatomy course sounds really hard. lol.
Old 04-25-2008 at 10:22 AM   #57
SaraM

ahah....
well i went from a high 80s/90s
to mid 70s average
however, my marks are better second term because you get the hang of the things, and are then able to give the profs (well really TAs) what they need.

human geo was decent. little dry, but easy if you go to all the lectures and do the assignments.

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 04-25-2008 at 10:26 PM   #58
shleyaa

i feel like all of my questions have been answered, i dont think i'll have any for may @ mac! haha. anddd thanks to you, i have finally decided on nursing. very excited about it oh, another question! haha ... do you think having a part time job during first year would be too distracting? i'm horrible at saving, and grade 12 especially has robbed me of all my money. soooo.. i was wondering how i'd be able to fund for entertainment and all that jazz.

Old 04-25-2008 at 10:35 PM   #59
davey
Elite Member

you've been real helpful Sara!! =)

but ummmmmmm one more question!! what kinds of immunizations and medical tests did you need to get before entering the program??
Old 04-25-2008 at 11:41 PM   #60
SaraM

shleyaa: thats awesome on picking mac! congrats!
and as for the part time job,
i don't recommend having one for the first few months, as its a big adjustment, and you wont want to miss out the whole frosh week experience.
give yourself time to get in the swing of things and then a part-time job is totally managable, as i have one my self.
i made it clear to my employer that school does come first, and i'm really lucky that my manager is understanding. im only required to work 2 weekends a month, so other than missing the odd party, i earn a ton of cash and am still able to keep up with my work.

dvy88: you get an immunization booklet that you bring to your doctor. they send them out mid-august... which doesnt leave much time...
but they're the common ones that you recieve during a child, and a 2 step TB test. your doctor will send you for a blood test for proof that you have recieved the immunizations, and fill out the chart for you.
other than that.... you need your CPR certificate and a police record check (they didnt use it this year, but clinical placements in 2nd year will require it)

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III