MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Mac Nursing

Old 04-26-2008 at 11:33 PM   #61
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

thanks! oh and i wasnt planning on getting a part time job during first year anyway, i was just wondering and, again, i have another question haha. for textbooks, did u buy all the ones that were on the course list? which ones did u find u didn't really need/use ?

Old 04-27-2008 at 07:54 PM   #62
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

You don't have to buy all the recommended textbooks for first year. There are some that are really important to have, but others you will only use once or twice. The library does have a lot of the nursing textbooks, which comes in handy so that you don't have to buy a book that you will only use once.

Also, buying the first year textbooks is pretty expensive, but you will use these books for all four years, as well into your career. I found that I bought the most in first year, and then in second year I sent less money.

Also, feel free to ask some upper year nursing students (like me) for advice when you get your book lists. We can tell you which ones you will use a lot.
You also don't have to buy all your books in the first week, but rather wait until you know that you will use that book.

I hope this helps you.
Old 05-01-2008 at 03:47 PM   #63
shleyaa

thanks, that did help so anyway, i just got my acceptance letter to the nursing program (YAY!) and i was just wondering how you go about obtaining a criminal record check. do you call into the police station? do you have to go there personally? aand to whom would you submit your BCLS certificate, immunization record, and criminal record? when should i start getting these things? would it be too early if i got the police check now? just wondering thanks.

Old 05-01-2008 at 04:34 PM   #64
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Contact your local police department and see what their policy is. Each region has a different (or slightly different method).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-02-2008 at 09:25 AM   #65
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

I believe for a police check you normally go down to the station. It doesn't take long, and I suggest you do it now rather than later (as it may get busier later when more students are getting checks for their summer jobs, etc).
Old 05-02-2008 at 10:29 PM   #66
shleyaa

okay, thanks for the advice. once i get it done though, who would i give it to?

Old 05-09-2008 at 11:07 AM   #67
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

During nursing orientation, they will be collecting your infomation. Also, make sure you start getting your immunization infomation early (although I think they are often late in mailing out the booklets that you need to get filled out). I found out in my first year that things don't always go according to plan and that it is super difficult to try to get it completed while you are in Hamilton and you need to be in contact with your doctor back home.
Old 05-27-2008 at 11:48 PM   #68
shleyaa

laptops
are laptops necessary in the nursing program? i just got one and was just wondering how often i'll be using it in class.

Old 05-28-2008 at 07:11 AM   #69
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

Laptops are necessary in any program. Most of the notes for lectures will be online and you have assignments that you will need to do research on.

Whether or not you use it in class is up to you. Some people like to print off the lecture notes in advance and some like to bring their laptop.
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:01 PM   #70
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Can you transfer from another program into nursing for second year? if so, what courses do you need to take in 1st year to be considered? I cant find it on the website! thanks
Old 06-11-2008 at 03:01 PM   #71
shleyaa

NURSING 1H03 - Patient & Family Perspective of Living with the Label 'Disabled'
has anybody taken this course? i chose it as one of my electives since it sounds somewhat easy and would perhaps contribute to my nursing education. i'd like to know what is actually done in this class and how interesting/boring it may be.
also, when i looked at the master timetable it listed only one lecture and no tutorial, but in the undergraduate calendar it says 3 hrs (lectures/tutorials)...so does that mean each week the class could be either a lecture or tutorial? :S

Old 06-11-2008 at 04:15 PM   #72
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Is the course only offered at night, or in one three hour block? If so, your tutorial component would likely be considered what is "lecture time"

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 06:04 PM   #73
shleyaa

it's in one 3 hour block...so do you mean that from 8:30-10:20 it's lecture time and 10:30-11:20 is tutorial time (for example)?

Old 06-11-2008 at 07:10 PM   #74
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, it's quite possible. I've had that for a few classes. It's actually happening to me in the now.

The only time night classes (and I'm using night classes because it is when this will occur most frequently) have tutorials sectioned is if they can't fit them all into the span of lecture; meaning some people would have tutorial from 18:00-19:00, while others would have 21:00-22:00.

Old 06-12-2008 at 07:04 AM   #75
shleyaa

so if you have an 18:00-19:00 tutorial, your lecture is from 19:00-21:00, and if ur tutorial is from 21:00-22:00, you lecture is from 18:00-21:00?