MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone going to Mo-Mac Nursing ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-11-2010 11:47 AM
CPR course for nursing? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-18-2010 07:31 PM

Mac Nursing

Old 06-12-2008 at 04:16 PM   #76
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yup! You've got it!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-09-2008 at 12:28 PM   #77
laskowski33

Liked: 0 Times

so
i really dont get how this "specializing" thing works
i want to specialize in surgery
what courses do i take
Old 07-09-2008 at 02:50 PM   #78
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

You don't get to specialize in anything in the actual program. When you get to take your clinicals, you can choose clinicals in the OR and things like that, instead of other placements.
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:09 PM   #79
laskowski33

what does that mean?
sorry im kinda lost
like, i get my bachelor or whatever
and what if i want to be a surgical nursE?
is there such thing
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:17 PM   #80
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

it means that you don't choose specific courses like "SURGERY" while you're in school, there aren't courses to become a surgical nurse (yes there is such a thing). you choose the area of specialty when you're deciding what kind of clinical area you want to get into. a clinical is the portion of the program where we spend time in a hospital, retirement home, etc to gain experience as a nurse.

Old 07-10-2008 at 12:40 AM   #81
SaraM

you start getting your placements in 2nd year.
you do one term in a medical and one term in a surgical setting,
i'm doing that this sept., so i'm not fairly sure what each mean specifically.

however, in 3rd and 4th year, you rank your preference, and then the lottery system places everyone in their preferred placements in a fair way.

it would be then that you would rank an OR, or a post-surgical ward as you top preference, and then hope for the best.

the mac nursin program strives to give you an all around education, that could prepare you for any type of nursing.

it is then after you graduate, that your employer will allow a certain number of months for orientation and training (paid!). then you will have the experience in that area, and the basic knowledge in all of the others incase you change your mind!

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 07-21-2008 at 10:10 AM   #82
Summer21

hi, well i was just wondering if the police check was mandatory for first year because it says we will need it to get placements but i'm pretty sure we don't have placements frist year??
ALSO i was wondering if the CPR certification can be just standard level C? do we need to have training in AED and BVM (no idea what that is in the first place?)
sorry just a bit confused:(
Old 07-23-2008 at 06:12 PM   #83
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer21 View Post
hi, well i was just wondering if the police check was mandatory for first year because it says we will need it to get placements but i'm pretty sure we don't have placements frist year??
ALSO i was wondering if the CPR certification can be just standard level C? do we need to have training in AED and BVM (no idea what that is in the first place?)
sorry just a bit confused:(
Police Checks are mandatory, even in first year. Also, CPR certification must be at the Heart and Stroke's BLS level C (for Health Care Provider) or equivalent at another agency. I did mine at the Canadian Red Cross where I took their HCP level course. Yes, you will be learning AED (automated external defibrillator) in the course. I am also pretty sure that BVM (bag valve mask) will be covered (at least it was for me).

Best of luck!
Old 08-05-2008 at 09:13 PM   #84
twindy

if i dont have an average of 88 or 89 but i have an average of 80-84 what are some things that can better my chance of getting into the nursing program?? (extra curriculars?)
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:06 PM   #85
SaraM

hmmm.
from what i know because the program is so competitve they don't really even look at your extracurriculars...
i know they didn't for me at least.... but its still good to look into volunteering at your local hospital, or being involved in your student communiity.
there isnt a supplementary application that i know of where you would even let them know...
84 is cutting it close as the cut off last year was 86...
maybe look into the mohawk or conestoga collaboration program...
you get the exact same degree as going to mac, but the entry average is lower and tuition is cheaper i believe...
just some options to look into...

on a side note...
you applied and are still waiting for this year....
or is this for next year?

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:08 PM   #86
twindy

this is for next year.
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:14 PM   #87
SaraM

ahh...
well i say definitely apply into the mac program, maybe even mohawk as a backup...
you only go to mohawk for one day for your electives!
everything else is at mac with mac nurses...
so you really wont be able to tell the difference...

but still, even if they dont really look at it... get involved... the more well-rounded you are... the better a nurse you will make.

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:16 PM   #88
twindy

ok thankyou, i will just try my hardest this year, even though my weakness is math :\
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:19 PM   #89
SaraM

advice...
then take data management...

don't go crazy like i did and take calculus...
aha

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 08-05-2008 at 10:21 PM   #90
twindy

is data management a bit easy? and what is advanced functions like?