MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM
GIS Minor: How do I go about getting one? huzaifa47 Academics 8 04-18-2010 02:19 PM
Minor in Kin? notredame Academics 3 01-18-2009 05:18 PM
nursing with minor macstudent99 Academics 2 01-08-2009 08:13 PM

Nursing with a Minor?

Old 09-14-2010 at 03:05 PM   #1
dgibson123

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing with a Minor?
Hey everyone,

I am in the RPN to RN program (mohawk site) and I was just wondering if it was possible for Nursing students to have a minor? I read on here (from a earlier year) that it was possible, but was not sure if it has changed at all.

Thanks for your time!
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:05 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibson123 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am in the RPN to RN program (mohawk site) and I was just wondering if it was possible for Nursing students to have a minor? I read on here (from a earlier year) that it was possible, but was not sure if it has changed at all.

Thanks for your time!
All you need is 24units of electives, if you have that then you can minor in a subject.
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:55 PM   #3
mac_nurse90
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Hi, the above answer is correct.

I myself am in nursing (3rd year) and quite a bit of nurses are pursuing a Psychology minor. I also know of those pursuing an Anthroplogy minor. I myself wanted to get a minor but I was told that I couldn't as a nurse so that pretty much screwed me over (but I don't really care anymore).

The TRICKY thing is fitting in the required electives for your minor. You probably know as a nursing student that we have the 8-12 hour clinical shifts, plus PBL as well as the sciences courses. I have always found electives that I wanted to take conflicting with Clinical/PBL. But definitely try anyways because the schedule might work out for you.

You will probably have to take some electives during the summer (my friends had to do that).

The plus side of obtaining a minor is that your diploma will display that you will have a minor. Psychology minors could probably help out if you want a careeer in psychiatry (same as with obtaining a Gerontology minor or something like that).

I personally wanted to get an Economics/Business or possibly Political Science degree as I wanted to work in health administration, public policy.

You can always talk to the Nursing Education advisors (I think it's Liz Reeves). I am sure that there's tons of support at the Nursing Office that you can use to talk about this and work out a plan!

My first concern was that you are in the RPN-RN program. Is that a 2-year degree? (Correct me if I am wrong!!!!!) If it was 2-years, it COULD make getting a minor a bit more trickier.

Anyways, BEST OF LUCK with your nursing education and if you can, do your best to follow your educational ambitions and dreams and obtain a minor! The extra work will certainly get you places!

-Mac_Nurse90
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:56 PM   #4
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibson123 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your time!

it would depend on the elective youw ant

I know when I was looking into it, it was very hard to do... for the basic 4 year stream at least for mohawk.. because in that stream you only get 9 units of mac electives... so the other 15 units would have to be done on your own time essentially... so like a whole semester worth of electives in the minor area...

i don't knwo if in your 3 year bridge course you have to take the electives, i believe you do, and in that case some of yours are mohawk then
it's possible... just going to take more work for ya... might tack on a semester or if you take summer courses you could definately do it.
Old 09-16-2010 at 01:55 PM   #5
dgibson123

Liked: 0 Times

Hey everyone! Thanks for the responses. My program is 3 years, and I am thinking that if I want to do a minor I will be taking course over the summer(s) as I am limited for time during the school year obviously.

For my program we NEED to have at least 12 units of mac electives, so thats half the battle just gotta find ones that fit into my schedule for the summer/next year.