MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nursing with a Minor? dgibson123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-16-2010 01:55 PM
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM
TRIPLE Minor? britb Academics 17 06-18-2010 04:52 PM
Minor questions lawleypop Academics 15 02-25-2010 09:46 PM
Minor in Kin? notredame Academics 3 01-18-2009 05:18 PM

GIS Minor: How do I go about getting one?

Old 04-16-2010 at 09:53 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

GIS Minor: How do I go about getting one?
So looking at Job Postings as well as reading the Code Red report on socioeconomic differentiation in Hamilton as well as the fact that a few new/upcoming sociological theories are based on cultural analysis from an ethnographic perspective I have come to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to get a minor of sorts in GIS.

So the question is how does one go about getting one? Does it have to be done at McMaster only or does Mohawk for example offer it in a less theory based and more practical route?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-16-2010 at 10:31 PM   #2
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Hi Huzaifa,

I'm not sure if you've checked out the undergraduate calendar already, but here is the link for GIS Minors: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1573.html
I'm looking to get one myself as well.

Also, have you looked into the Certificate in GIS?

Last edited by Kelsey18 : 04-16-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:22 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey18 View Post
Hi Huzaifa,

I'm not sure if you've checked out the undergraduate calendar already, but here is the link for GIS Minors: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1573.html
I'm looking to get one myself as well.

Also, have you looked into the Certificate in GIS?
I did look at GIS Certificate but here is what it said:
PLEASE NOTE:
  • Undergraduate students currently enrolled at McMaster should take courses relevant for a MINOR IN GIS.
  • Students with a MINOR IN GIS are not eligible for the CERTIFICATE IN GIS.
The other option I found is Mohawk but it is a 306 hour course. So I guess the only way I can logistically/financially make it work is if I drop one of my majors since I'm double majoring :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-16-2010 at 11:51 PM   #4
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I did look at GIS Certificate but here is what it said:
PLEASE NOTE:
  • Undergraduate students currently enrolled at McMaster should take courses relevant for a MINOR IN GIS.
  • Students with a MINOR IN GIS are not eligible for the CERTIFICATE IN GIS.
The other option I found is Mohawk but it is a 306 hour course. So I guess the only way I can logistically/financially make it work is if I drop one of my majors since I'm double majoring :S
Yeah, you can only get the Minor or the Certificate, but not both. I just wondered if you considered the Certificate instead of the Minor.
It would probably be difficult to add in either of them with a double major without adding another year to your university career, which would be pretty inconvenient, financially.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Kelsey18 for this post.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:03 AM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey18 View Post
Yeah, you can only get the Minor or the Certificate, but not both. I just wondered if you considered the Certificate instead of the Minor.
It would probably be difficult to add in either of them with a double major without adding another year to your university career, which would be pretty inconvenient, financially.
If you are in an Honours program, you absolutely 100% cannot get a certificate in GIS. You can ONLY get the minor.

If you are in a 3-year program, you are not permitted to take a minor but are allowed to take the requirements for the certificate.

The minor and the certificate are effectively the same thing, the only difference is that for the certificate you are given a piece of paper with your name on it, certifying you in GIS, whereas the minor is just like any other minor - you don't recieve anything other than your degree.

I just finished my requirements for the GIS certificate along with my degree this year if you have any other questions.

huzaifa47, Kelsey18 all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:12 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
So looking at Job Postings as well as reading the Code Red report on socioeconomic differentiation in Hamilton as well as the fact that a few new/upcoming sociological theories are based on cultural analysis from an ethnographic perspective I have come to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to get a minor of sorts in GIS.

So the question is how does one go about getting one? Does it have to be done at McMaster only or does Mohawk for example offer it in a less theory based and more practical route?
Huzaifa, McMaster is the only Canadian University accredited as an ESRI Development Centre, and is a leader in GIS education. If GIS is what you are looking for, McMaster's offering is one of the best you can get anywhere in this country.

As a GIS person myself, I can tell you that the education is quite challenging, but is rewarding. Unless you are in a 3-year program (which I'm certain you are not), you are not permitted to recieve the certificate, and the minor is the only option you have.

At this point in your education, adding the minor to your course load will almost certainly extend your time at McMaster, since you are required to take 24 units to qualify for the minor. You might be able to pull it off (and I honestly doubt it, but just maybe) if you take the intro course this summer, and also look into taking Geog 2MB3 (Spatial Statistics) ASAP as well (not sure if they offer this course in the summer).
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:30 AM   #7
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If you are in an Honours program, you absolutely 100% cannot get a certificate in GIS. You can ONLY get the minor.

If you are in a 3-year program, you are not permitted to take a minor but are allowed to take the requirements for the certificate.

The minor and the certificate are effectively the same thing, the only difference is that for the certificate you are given a piece of paper with your name on it, certifying you in GIS, whereas the minor is just like any other minor - you don't recieve anything other than your degree.

I just finished my requirements for the GIS certificate along with my degree this year if you have any other questions.
I was not aware of that. Thanks for clearing that up Ben
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:43 AM   #8
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

I'm also interested in taking GIS, as such I have a couple of questions as well
1. I'm interested in minoring in GIS, so how would I go about that? I heard you declare a minor near the end of your graduation, but I am not sure about that :/
2. I'm looking at the required courses for the minor in GIS. Could I take these courses at any time during my academic career (i.e. taking GEOG 2MB3 in my third year)?
3. What did you personally think of the program - was it fun, hard, etc? Any other comments would also be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-18-2010 at 02:19 PM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
I'm also interested in taking GIS, as such I have a couple of questions as well
1. I'm interested in minoring in GIS, so how would I go about that? I heard you declare a minor near the end of your graduation, but I am not sure about that :/
2. I'm looking at the required courses for the minor in GIS. Could I take these courses at any time during my academic career (i.e. taking GEOG 2MB3 in my third year)?
3. What did you personally think of the program - was it fun, hard, etc? Any other comments would also be greatly appreciated!
1. You declare a minor when you are in the final months of your time at McMaster. On your grad card you have space to declare a minor.

2. You can take these courses at any time, however note that they all have prerequisites and as such many courses are designed to be taken in succession. Generally speaking, there is a bit of an order that people take the courses in. Some of them are awkward, for example, usually Geog 2MB3 is offered in second term, and then the Advanced Spatial Statisitcs (For which 2MB3 is a prerequisite) is offered in first term, so if you decide to wait a year to take 2MB3, you are automatically extending your education.

3. The program was very interesting, and I think everyone should have an understanding of GIS and what it is all about. It is very challenging. You need to really want to do it... many many hours in the GIS lab, a handful of all-nighters, but it was totally worth it in my opinion.

Deegs14 says thanks to Taunton for this post.