MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM
GIS Minor: How do I go about getting one? huzaifa47 Academics 8 04-18-2010 02:19 PM
Triple Rooms & Co-ed? Sweetie321 Residence & Housing 27 03-19-2009 06:06 PM
Triple Rooms in Residence Jayuna Residence & Housing 2 07-04-2008 08:18 PM
Triple Room Request omzar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-25-2008 02:52 PM

TRIPLE Minor?

Old 06-16-2010 at 09:00 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

TRIPLE Minor?
Just had a random though pop into my head. We've all got a minor, and a few people have a double minor. Anyone ever heard of a triple minor? 'Cause I think that would be so frickin' cool.
Old 06-16-2010 at 09:04 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Just had a random though pop into my head. We've all got a minor, and a few people have a double minor. Anyone ever heard of a triple minor? 'Cause I think that would be so frickin' cool.
no i haven't heard of that before... do you want to attempt that?
Old 06-16-2010 at 09:08 PM   #3
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I wanted to minor in biochemistry with my program, which has only one mandatory biochemistry course, but even with 18 units for electives the programs are set up so it is impossible to get the minor. That doesn't make that much sense to me...

Old 06-16-2010 at 09:27 PM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

i dont think its actually possible...
unless you graduate without a major...
but can you graduate without a major?
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-16-2010 at 09:29 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I plan to minor in nothing. Just to rebel.
But my personal course plan might lend itself to an automatic minor in Bio.
So I will intentionally take a final non Bio course to thwart that possibility.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-16-2010 at 09:31 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Kevin Yin
Chemical Biology II
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Bushra Habib
Chemical Biology II

We ChemBios have an unhealthy obsession with these forums.
Damn us.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-17-2010 at 12:50 AM   #7
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

The only way that would be possible is if you took a shit ton of summer school courses I think. For some reason this thread makes me think of Van Wilder =D

I'm not choosing a minor either. Personally, I'd rather learn a little bit about a lot of things than bust my ass for something I'm not passionate about, just for the sake of an annotation on my degree.

But hey, if it works, power to ya. If you're going into an academic field or something where grades really matter after grad then it might be an interesting idea.
Old 06-17-2010 at 12:55 AM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

question.. if program are on your course list does that mean they cannot count towards a minor?.. for example my bio progran has several psych courses on the course list
Old 06-17-2010 at 06:58 AM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

you need 24 units for a minor
and 12 of those units cannot count towards your degree (ie, must be electives)
but that means 12 units can count towards your degree
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

giftedchick says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 06-17-2010 at 07:52 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madBiologist View Post
The only way that would be possible is if you took a shit ton of summer school courses I think. For some reason this thread makes me think of Van Wilder =D

I'm not choosing a minor either. Personally, I'd rather learn a little bit about a lot of things than bust my ass for something I'm not passionate about, just for the sake of an annotation on my degree.

But hey, if it works, power to ya. If you're going into an academic field or something where grades really matter after grad then it might be an interesting idea.
Um, what?

a) Minor's don't show up on your degree. It only appears on your transcript. (If you use degree synonymously with transcript, disregard point a)
b) If anything, people complete a minor in something they're passionate about because they're not interested in just their major. Or, they take a minor that will supplement their degree and odds are, they'll be interested in/passionate about that field as well, since there's probably some overlap.
c) Where is busting your ass coming in? There's no difference between having to take 24 units of electives to graduate and using all 24 of those in one area to get a tiny annotation on your transcript. The amount of work can't differ THAT greatly...this is university. Unless you're one of those people that consider "learning a lot about everything" as taking a bunch of 1st year bird courses.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 06-17-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2010 at 08:35 AM   #11
kangs6

Liked: 20 Times

with the amount of courses you take to complete 3 minors...why not get a major? Find what you are really passionate about and spend more time on those..instead of spreading too thin and only know the surface of each. Having multiple minors show that you have a broad interest in many fields, however does not say an expert in each. Complete 3 minors in undergrad (4years) is nearly impossible...even with summer courses. Unless you want to come back for a second degree, which I think is great having another degree =D
Old 06-17-2010 at 03:38 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
no i haven't heard of that before... do you want to attempt that?
Oh, no way. Not with a specialization. I don't think even Life Sci has enough electives without summer school to do it.
Old 06-17-2010 at 03:48 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

*sigh* i don't even have enough electives to complete ONE minor, let alone three
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:22 PM   #14
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
you need 24 units for a minor
and 12 of those units cannot count towards your degree (ie, must be electives)
but that means 12 units can count towards your degree
thank you
Old 06-18-2010 at 12:17 PM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
*sigh* i don't even have enough electives to complete ONE minor, let alone three

Can you do summer courses in Co-op? But then again, Co-op's pretty awesome to have.