MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRIPLE Minor? britb Academics 17 06-18-2010 04:52 PM
Triple Rooms in Residence Jayuna Residence & Housing 2 07-04-2008 08:18 PM
Triple Room Request omzar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-25-2008 02:52 PM

Triple Rooms & Co-ed?

Old 03-07-2009 at 01:04 AM   #1
Sweetie321

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Triple Rooms & Co-ed?
Hey!!

I will be attending McMaster as of September, and two of my best friends will be attending as well. We were all planning in living in a tripple room together and I was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback concerning the comfort of such rooms. Also, I was wondering if I request a triple room, would I be limited to certain residence buildings, and if so what are they? In addition to this, it would be very helpful if you guys can provide me with any knowledge as to how the suites/apartment style residences work, specifically in regards to if boys are allowed to be sharing the same suite as females, or if people living in a apartment style rez are strictly same sex only. If anyone can give me some answers it would be greatly appreciated !

thanksss !

PS: these girls are like my sisters so I already know their living habbits, so no worries about damaged friendships
Old 03-07-2009 at 07:23 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Guys and girls cannot live co-ed in any McMaster residence buildings....so need to worry about that.

Unless things have changed since last year, you rank your housing preferences according to building and style. For example, Whidden triple, Woodstock triple etc.

I'm not entirely positive if you can request to live with two people; in the past it has usually only been one person. In order to do so you and your friend need to rank your housing choices in the same order and list each other as your roommate request. For more information you can contact Housing and Conference services; specifically the site on Res Admissions.

As for living in a triple...I lived in a triple with only one roommate, but lots of my friends had two. It can be quite squishy a lot of the time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Sweetie321 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 03-07-2009 at 10:26 AM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Guys and girls cannot live co-ed in any McMaster residence buildings....so need to worry about that.

Unless things have changed since last year, you rank your housing preferences according to building and style. For example, Whidden triple, Woodstock triple etc.

I'm not entirely positive if you can request to live with two people; in the past it has usually only been one person. In order to do so you and your friend need to rank your housing choices in the same order and list each other as your roommate request. For more information you can contact Housing and Conference services; specifically the site on Res Admissions.

As for living in a triple...I lived in a triple with only one roommate, but lots of my friends had two. It can be quite squishy a lot of the time.
agreed, i've seen moulton, whidden triples...you better check these rooms first before you decide to live in these rooms for 8 months..i personally never lived in a triple but I asked myself if it was legal...cause u barely have any private space for yourself...

Old 03-08-2009 at 10:50 PM   #4
Sweetie321

yaa I'm planning to go visit the residences and see for myself during march break
and in regards to the tripple room mate request, I read on the MAC site that they are allowed you just have to call in and ask =)
Old 03-09-2009 at 07:26 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yeaah when I replied I couldn't get the Housing and Conference site to load for whatever reason, hence my being unsure.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-09-2009 at 08:49 PM   #6
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

It might be squishy but the chance to live in Whidden is worth it

Whidden Whidden Whidden

Bash Bash Bash

Alex McColl, lorend, sew12, stevennevets all say thanks to JeffB for this post.
Old 03-09-2009 at 09:04 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

<3

Whidden = amazing. Even though it's kinda ugly.

Old 03-10-2009 at 09:36 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
<3

Whidden = amazing. Even though it's kinda ugly.
What you mean you don't like orange, yellow and blue doors?
Old 03-10-2009 at 09:45 AM   #9
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Hey, I just did my housing application for next year as well. You can request to live with up to 2 ppl that you know but it HAS to be a triple room. So you are limiting yourslef to Moutlon and Whidden and maybe Woodstock, although I've never known of a triple in Woodstock. I'd probably pick Whidden personally but do go and see the residences to get a better feel.
Old 03-10-2009 at 10:02 AM   #10
JeffB

Woodstock has a few triple rooms on the first floor. They are bigger then the whidden triples. I cant speak for Moulton because I haven't seen the rooms.

Whidden is an amazing building to live in because there is way more interaction with your floor (based on the basic layout of the building). That is why I am a big proponent of it (also because I lived there).
Old 03-10-2009 at 12:52 PM   #11
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

i can speak for moulton since I did campus tours for that hall in the summer, its not bad lots of storage space. I'd prefer north quad though
Old 03-10-2009 at 01:00 PM   #12
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
What you mean you don't like orange, yellow and blue doors?
actually it's yellow, blue and peach. just so you know

and whidden has common rooms that are really central, everyone hangs out there, and it's a great res, plus it's super good for events and having tons of spirit!!! triples aren't bad either, just be nice to your roommates and you'll be fine. plus it's way cheaper.

BASH BASH BASH!!!

Last edited by stevennevets : 03-10-2009 at 01:05 PM.

saigalhz says thanks to stevennevets for this post.
Old 03-10-2009 at 02:47 PM   #13
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

I'm in a triple in Moulton this year!

There is a lot of storage space and despite not choosing this residence building during my application, I'm really glad with the whole triple. Every residence has its ups and downs... I like Moulton because it is quite quiet and being very lazy, that means I don't have to walk to a library to get in some good concentration when I do open my books.

Most people end up liking the residence and room they get placed into so you'll probably end up liking whatever you get into in the end as well. It's mostly the experience and your roommates, or even just your friends that make living on-campus a good experience. As for the living experience if a triple and all the other little things, you'll get used to it.

saigalhz says thanks to Joann for this post.
Old 03-10-2009 at 03:46 PM   #14
JeffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobee View Post
I'm in a triple in Moulton this year!

Most people end up liking the residence and room they get placed into so you'll probably end up liking whatever you get into in the end as well. It's mostly the experience and your roommates, or even just your friends that make living on-campus a good experience. As for the living experience if a triple and all the other little things, you'll get used to it.
I completely agree with that. I think i picked Whidden as my last or second last choice and was devastated when i got it. But two days after moving in I was loving it. Maybe less.
Old 03-10-2009 at 04:02 PM   #15
Sweetie321

thanks for all the help guys!
btw, do you think that requesting a triple room will hinder my chances of getting my preferred room..or do you think it will make those chances better?