MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I am happy I voted for Harper, and not Obama. deadpool General Discussion 26 02-16-2009 06:18 PM
If Obama is President... will we still call it The White House ferreinm Politics 49 11-12-2008 12:13 AM
Whois gonna win? Obama or Mccain? Ken Torry Politics 3 10-21-2008 04:24 PM
Your Residence Picks? J-Met Residence & Housing 254 07-27-2008 09:20 AM
Obama giving in to FISA Chad Politics 5 07-20-2008 02:55 PM

Obama/McCain VP picks?

Old 07-20-2008 at 01:42 AM   #1
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Obama/McCain VP picks?
So theres alot of speculation going around right now about who the two presidential candidates will pick for their VPs. Who do you think they will pick, who do you think will work out best for them?

For Obama:

Unfortunately the two people I think would be best for the job, Jim Webb and Al Gore, have said unconditionally that they will not be Obama's VP. John Edwards might work, but he didn't help Kerry much in 04'. I really like Bill Richardson, but I think alot of Americans probably wouldn't vote for a ticket with a black man and a hispanic on it...its sad, but its probably true. Hillary Clinton might be his best bet...shes got the experience he needs and alot of her supporters still aren't too warm to Obama...then again, her years in Washington may negate his message of change.

My top pick: Joe Biden. He's got loads of foreign policy experience and he's not your typical Old White Man. Hes pretty outspoken, I remember him once calling a Bush policy "Bull S--t" And sure hes been in Washington for a very long time...but I think hes the type of character that can still appear to be an experienced agent of change.

And for McCain:

Two main criteria: Someone America needs to trust to be the actual president. (McCains chances of dying during his term are much higher than Obama), and soemone with economic experience, McCains apparhent weak spot. McCain's only option in my opinion is Mitt Romney. I think the religious wacko's will still vote for a ticket with a mormon on it over a ticket they believe has a muslim on it (I know, again, its not very flaterring to these types of americans, but its probably true), and Romney should help McCain get support from more independents (he was governor of Massachusettes...he couldn't have done that without attracting at least some moderates...it is Massachusettes after all).

What do you think?
Old 07-20-2008 at 11:39 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Oh come on. Don't be so mean to McCain (though I'm all for Obama).
Old 07-20-2008 at 11:49 AM   #3
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

For Obama, I really think Hillary is his best bet. Hillary nearly beat him and I still think to this day, alot of her supporters will have a hard time voting for Obama unless there's someone at his side who supports their views, like Hillary. Plus, she has the experience that Obama is lacking. So if they're put together, it's a double whammy - Black president and Female Vice-President. Can the U.S handle it?
Old 07-24-2008 at 10:24 AM   #4
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Hillary would definitly be a bad choice for Obama. She needs to be in the whitehouse for sure, but she could do gobs more good for him somewhere other than as VP.

The reason is that she is too liberal. Obama needs a running mate that the center rightt will like. Democrats are going to vote for him anyway without Hillary as VP. The smart ones know she has a place in government anyway. His trouble now is to get the rest of the country on his side, and steal the undecideds away from McCain. THat's why he needs someone center right friendly, who lefties like too. (He'll never get hardcore republican voters- but McCain won't get the hardcore democrats either.)

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 07-27-2008 at 10:34 PM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

I forgot to mention a possibly very good pick for McCain. Alaska governor Sarah Palin would i think be his best bet. She's young, popular with conservatives but also known as a maverick, and not to mention she is decently attractive (for a governor anyways) which never hurts with male voters

@Cubit: You can't forget that even though many Hillary Clinton's positions are more liberal than Obama's, she, in the end, attracted way more conservative voters than he did. For some reason conservative voters in the midwest (ie Idaho) prefered Obama and conservative voters in the appalachians (ie West Virginia) seemed to prefer Clinton. Its a pattern I cant really explain, but it shows that even though Clinton has a lot of liberal policies she still seems to able to attract conservative voters. I personally dont like Clinton personally because of how she acted in the primaries, but I still think she would probably be a good pickfor Obama.

Last edited by J-Met : 07-28-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2008 at 03:56 AM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

First off, McCain would be an idiot to pick anyone other than Romney. First of all, Romney is a banker, so he makes up for the sheer lack of economic knowledge that McCain has. Second, Romney is very socialy conservative, making up for McCain's inability to figure out whether he is the Liberal Republican or whatever it is he's meddling around with these days. Thirdly, Romney was a monster on the primary circuit, and carried a few states easily.

Second, giving Hillary a position in Washington that exceeds the power of senator would be like giving Belinda Stronach a cabinet position. Not only is Hillary a plight on social liberals, she's also a lying, cheating, whore to lobbyists who has tarnished Bill's good name and reputation. Plus she's already been in the White House once and that just ended up with her being unable to control her husband and an impeachment. For those looking for strong female politicians, please look furthur than Hillary.

As for Obama's VP, it's probably going to be Tim Kaine as speculated by... everyone.
Old 08-23-2008 at 10:09 PM   #7
J-Met
Elite Member

Yay! Its Biden!

I saw his speach today and Im so glad Obama picked him. Obama's campaign seemed to have been lacking enthusiasm lately and if anybody can spice it up its Joe Biden! Man does he get the crowd pumped and tells it like it is.

To be honest I now kind of hope Biden had done better in the primaries, but whatever...Obama is my man and this was a great judgement call on his part.
Old 08-28-2008 at 11:19 PM   #8
thatdudeukno

When did Canadians start giving two shits about US politics?
Old 08-28-2008 at 11:22 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

My guess would be when the US became the world's strongest country back in the day and everything started being compared to their dollar. Whatever they do influences pretty much everyone. Although, that is soon to change. I read an article about switching the global currency to something other than the US dollar. That was like a year ago so I don't quite remember the article or which currency they wanted to switch to.
Old 08-29-2008 at 12:04 AM   #10
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

What do you guys think about Ron Paul?
Old 08-29-2008 at 05:57 AM   #11
J-Met
Elite Member

I really dont see why Ron Paul is so well liked by many young people...the vast majority of his econmic policies are more right wing than those of George Bush. He wants the US to drop out of the UN, he wants to completely abolish the department of education, and wants to get rid of he environmental protection agency (he says "the free market can protect the environment"...yeah right).

Not to mention he's a religious nutcase just like the rest of republicans: he doesn't believe in evolution or the woman's right to choose, and under his education system schools would be largely dominated by private religious institutions.

Last edited by J-Met : 08-29-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2008 at 04:48 PM   #12
J-Met
Elite Member

ITS OFFICIAL: THE REPUBLICAN TICKET HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED:

McCain/MILF '08

Thats right, McCain has made his pick, and its Sarah Palin (I'm good at predicting these things eh? ).

Though in my previous post I said that Palin would be one of McCains best picks, after it actually happened and I started thinking more about it, Ive realized that she is a much bigger risk than I realized.

She has only had 20 months of experience in an office higher than that of the mayor of a town of 9000 people. With McCain's age, do you really want someone with zero time on any national stage to be a heartbeat away from controlling the worlds largest military and nuclear arsenal....If people actually think about that, I think it will scare them. Not to mention McCain can real no longer attack Obama for lack of experience.

Another thing this pick may do is actually piss off Hillary Clinton supporters. They know Palin was deffinately not the most qualified candidate for the vice presidency, and they know that the only reason McCain picked her was because of her sex. This idea goes against what Hillary stands for, and I think it will encourage Hillary to campaign even more agressively for Obama.

Compared to Hillary, who actually worked her ass off to "crack the glass ceiling" for women in america, Sarah Palin will look like just a pretty face picked to gain some easy votes.

Maybe its just my bias talking that`s changed my mind about Palin, but either way I hope this backfires for McCain.
Old 08-29-2008 at 04:57 PM   #13
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
ITS OFFICIAL: THE REPUBLICAN TICKET HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED:

McCain/MILF '08
LOL.

Quote:
They know Palin was deffinately not the most qualified candidate for the vice presidency, and they know that the only reason McCain picked her was because of her sex.
oh, i did NOT read that right the first time.
Old 08-29-2008 at 05:07 PM   #14
J-Met
Elite Member

Hahaha....I just re-read that sentence...deffinatel y an unitended double meaning their.

Who knows though...maybe McCain wants....nevermind, I am not going to go there.
Old 08-29-2008 at 10:20 PM   #15
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I can't believe he picked HER.... Who the hell is she?! LOL. I read somewhere that McCain has met her ONCE. Freakin ridiculous. He wants to lose doesn't he?