MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips For Students in Residence + Off-campus Housing Chad Residence & Off-Campus Living 1 10-27-2018 11:22 AM
Off-Campus Internet husayn12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-18-2011 04:05 PM
Internet on Campus jo87 General Discussion 6 11-30-2009 11:03 PM
Wtf is wrong with the campus internet? Ownaginatios General Discussion 23 11-25-2009 10:56 PM
Wi-fi internet in campus?? endearing66 General Discussion 18 07-06-2009 10:10 PM

Off Campus Internet - Tips?

Old 08-09-2012 at 09:27 PM   #1
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Off Campus Internet - Tips?
So im sure most of you who live off campus have to take care of internet yourself.

I wanted to know, how many of you don't have a phone line but have internet (DSL)? How much are you paying?

We dont want to go with cable cause cogeco has ridic overagee fees and bandwidth cap. So we are looking at teksavvy or acanac... but im not sure if acanac is possible since im not sure if they allow dry loop connections? I know teksavvy does but it is kinda costly for initial setup... any tips to waive the activation / get a cheaper modem?
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:56 PM   #2
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

I was going to go with TekSavvy, but they could only do the DSL thing with the dry loop. I passed on that and went with start.ca. I have no clue how good they are, I've just seen their prices and they aren't that bad. Cable internet also.

http://start.ca/services/highspeed

edit: also the bandwidth cap is as high as TekSavvy's which is also pretty good
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:06 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
I was going to go with TekSavvy, but they could only do the DSL thing with the dry loop. I passed on that and went with start.ca. I have no clue how good they are, I've just seen their prices and they aren't that bad. Cable internet also.

http://start.ca/services/highspeed

edit: also the bandwidth cap is as high as TekSavvy's which is also pretty good
Oh wow. the 300GB package is looking good. Let me know how the service/installation is... ive never heard of them before but its looking good!
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:24 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

First question to ask is How many people you room with. What is your usage per person (as in what and how often, HD stream, skype video call, download, etcetcetc)
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:26 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
First question to ask is How many people you room with. What is your usage per person (as in what and how often, HD stream, skype video call, download, etcetcetc)
Usage isnt the concern here. We are heavy downloaders, so a 200GB+ cap is necessary.

I will go with either Teksavvy, Acanac, or now possible Start.ca... just wanted to know if there was a way to waive setup fees and how much you guys pay for a dry loop
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:28 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

For the 300GB Teksavvy package, I rock 50 bucks post-tax. $35 for service, $9(ish) for dry loop, and then taxes on top. Pretty good. Unlimited overnight downloading, 600GB over a two month period.

Try Cogeco business, if you want Cogeco service sans overage fees. Unfortunately, the cheapest plan is pricey ($70-something post-tax), but there's no actual cap. It may specify a cap, but it's not enforced.

Old 08-09-2012 at 10:33 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Make sure to factor in upload speed... Upload speed is what lags the most. This topic alone is making me mad at how bad / overpriced Canadian net is
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:44 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Make sure to factor in upload speed... Upload speed is what lags the most. This topic alone is making me mad at how bad / overpriced Canadian net is
Yeah, upload speed in canada is generally crap. 1mbps is "good" here...

But yeah, ive managed on a 5down 800k up connection at home for years... downloading 200-300gb a month on my own haha... so upload is fine. 800k translates to about 70kB/s up... which is alright...

Start.ca is looking amazing! I think we will go with them... 16mbps, 300gb cap for only 50 bucks a month? :o
Old 08-09-2012 at 10:58 PM   #9
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Usage isnt the concern here. We are heavy downloaders, so a 200GB+ cap is necessary.

I will go with either Teksavvy, Acanac, or now possible Start.ca... just wanted to know if there was a way to waive setup fees and how much you guys pay for a dry loop
The dryloop with Teksavvy incurs an additional $9.xx or so monthly fee so that is why I ruled it out, unless you guys use landline phones in which case there won't be a fee.
Old 08-10-2012 at 09:33 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
The dryloop with Teksavvy incurs an additional $9.xx or so monthly fee so that is why I ruled it out, unless you guys use landline phones in which case there won't be a fee.
Yeah. We won't have a phone line since everyone has a cell.

I think Start cable is the way to go!
Old 08-10-2012 at 09:47 AM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Do people actually pay for landlines in university when they are living off campus? It seems so pointless, just get a cell phone ffs!
Old 08-10-2012 at 10:01 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Do people actually pay for landlines in university when they are living off campus? It seems so pointless, just get a cell phone ffs!
Paying for landlines in general are a waste
Old 08-10-2012 at 10:07 AM   #13
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Yeah. We won't have a phone line since everyone has a cell.

I think Start cable is the way to go!
yeee start!
i'm with start atm and its pretty good so far. no big issues and the customer support was pretty good. i think dry loop fees and set-up fees are a bit cheaper than other companies too.
oh also, no term contracts, so you can you change up your plan for the summer when you have nobody/few people in the house
Old 08-10-2012 at 11:13 AM   #14
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
I have a landline only because it's hooked up to the buzzer in my apartment and neither my roommate nor I want it hooked up to our cell phones because she travels out of the country a lot and I work two jobs where I can't carry my phone. But all in all, it's an expense I hate paying for because other than the buzzer it's a complete waste of $14.99 a month.
Old 08-10-2012 at 11:17 AM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

We pay $90 for 270 gigs through Bell. Our only advantage is our speed, since its 25 mb/s but that "start" company mentioned earlier has decent prices. Not sure about service though