MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on Campus jo87 General Discussion 6 11-30-2009 11:03 PM
Wtf is wrong with the campus internet? Ownaginatios General Discussion 23 11-25-2009 10:56 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM

Wi-fi internet in campus??

Old 07-06-2009 at 05:35 PM   #1
endearing66

Liked: 1 Time

Wi-fi internet in campus??
Hello

Just want to know, Wi-Fi internet facility is available all over campus like in Waterloo?

In room , thr is Ethernet or wireless internet ( specially in Les Prince ) ??

Thanks

Old 07-06-2009 at 05:44 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by endearing66 View Post
Hello

Just want to know, Wi-Fi internet facility is available all over campus like in Waterloo?

In room , thr is Ethernet or wireless internet ( specially in Les Prince ) ??

Thanks
Most of the campus is covered by Wi-Fi.

In residence (i.e. Les Prince), you connect to the internet vis Ethernet. There is no wireless in residence.

endearing66 says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 05:46 PM   #3
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

well in Les Prince there is wireless in the study room as far as i know...isn't tht right Greg?
Old 07-06-2009 at 05:47 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
well in Les Prince there is wireless in the study room as far as i know...isn't tht right Greg?
To be honest, I never used the study rooms in Les Prince, so I'm not sure. I was under the impression that there was no wireless in the building though.
Old 07-06-2009 at 05:49 PM   #5
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

well i read it somewhere in the threads where they said there is wireless in study rooms and tht u can have wireless in your room too if u get ur own wireless router catching the signals...
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:00 PM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
well i read it somewhere in the threads where they said there is wireless in study rooms and tht u can have wireless in your room too if u get ur own wireless router catching the signals...
Well if you bring your own router than of course you can have wireless.
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:01 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I got wireless on my laptop all over woodstock (it was only supposed to be the common rooms and the nest, i believe)
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:16 PM   #8
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

I did some group projects in Les Prince Study Rooms, and I can confirm that there is wireless in these rooms.
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:23 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You can get wireless in some rooms in Edwards because it's so close to CNH/MUSC. There is also wireless in the commons rooms and the study room (in Edwards)
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:38 PM   #10
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

not all buildings have wireless, unfortunately. I was quite dissapointed myself when i discovered that in my classes.
for example: the major lecture hall in TSH has no internet, nor does CNH 104.
all the residences have wired ethernet connections in each room.

in mary keyes, the 2nd floor study room has wireless internet, and if your room is around that (like mine was ), you get great wireless in your room
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:05 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I think it makes more sense to have wi-fi for sure in classes like Multimedia. I'm frankly getting tired of people just going on facebook or watching videos online during class. It's so distracting. However, the downside to not having wi-fi in each class is if you just want to use the room as a study room when class is not in session there. So oh well.
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:26 PM   #12
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
for example: the major lecture hall in TSH has no internet, nor does CNH 104.
If CNH 104 is the lecture hall to the right after you go into the building, I was able to get wireless there pretty much anywhere I sat (tended to be the back/middle on the right or middle section when looking down)
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:49 PM   #13
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Hey!

You can almost catch wireless almost anywhere on campus. You won't really need a router but people to bring them usually for LAN games. Some places block of the wireless signal especially some lecture halls. It's pretty frustrating when there is no internet in some lecture halls.

You'll find all the residences have ethernet ports and you get a free ethernernet cable when you move in. I shouldn't really say free becuase you kind of pay for it through MacPass/ Residence Fees. Nothing is really free around here....
Old 07-06-2009 at 09:57 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

There's no wireless in residence.

Some parts of the library (Mills near the tapes) tends to have a poor internet connection, but you can always move to an area with a stronger connection.

BSB 147 didn't have wireless for the longest time, but after construction I believe there's now a connection?
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:01 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
There's no wireless in residence.

Some parts of the library (Mills near the tapes) tends to have a poor internet connection, but you can always move to an area with a stronger connection.

BSB 147 didn't have wireless for the longest time, but after construction I believe there's now a connection?
Which residence did you live in? I'm pretty sure McMaster puts wireless in all the study rooms (atleast, maybe the common rooms as well).

Yes, BSB 147 now has wireless.