MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
Do all residences offer single rooms? teedee Residence & Housing 6 06-27-2010 06:23 PM
are they still checking id in residences? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 5 09-10-2009 05:59 PM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM
Addresses and phone numbers for residences amyf Residence & Housing 1 08-11-2008 08:09 AM

Off-Campus residences,,, HELP!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!

Old 07-16-2010 at 05:47 PM   #1
rickytheman

Liked: 0 Times

Off-Campus residences,,, HELP!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!
Hi bor and sis,,

I am a brand new student to Mac and Hamilton..

Yetersday,, i go to seek for a 2bedrooms aprt nearby school.

it is 10mins walk from school,,, the deal is 850 excluded hydro and internet...

I just want to seek for some advices...

should i take offer or I should see other places?

The manager said that there is no demo room avialable to see,,,and i need to take the rm as is~

Thanks alot

Last edited by rickytheman : 07-16-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2010 at 05:50 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Do you already have a roommate lined up? Is it your responsibility to find someone, or the landlords?

My biggest advice is to visit the Off Campus Resource Center at Mac, they'll tell you all about your rights as a tenant, help look over a lease for you, tell you what things to look out for when looking at a place, etc.

I would heavily recommend against taking a room without seeing it though, that's always a recipe for disaster. And its not like he's offering an amazing deal that someone else will jump at.

http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/oc...ic/contact.htm
Old 07-16-2010 at 06:40 PM   #3
rickytheman

yes,,,i hv found a roommate!
and we both studied in the same high school
Old 07-16-2010 at 08:00 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Ok, I'd still recommend visiting the OCRC, or at least calling them.
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:33 PM   #5
rickytheman

thanks!!!
btw,,I just checked the email and Mac give me a room offer(residences)....
I am stuggle b/w live off-campus and on-campus...
wt do u think i should do now?
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:36 PM   #6
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickytheman View Post
thanks!!!
btw,,I just checked the email and Mac give me a room offer(residences)....
I am stuggle b/w live off-campus and on-campus...
wt do u think i should do now?
living on campus is easier and generally a better experience for first years. 850 for 2 bedrooms excluding hydro/electricity is quite expensive.
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:44 PM   #7
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
living on campus is easier and generally a better experience for first years. 850 for 2 bedrooms excluding hydro/electricity is quite expensive.
850/2 = 425 a month. That's actually within the average range. You also need to remember this is a 2-bedroom apartment...if you found a place in a house, it would probably be cheaper. I'm pretty sure houses in the Emerson area typically cost around there.

On-campus is A LOT closer, and it's really convenient, but from my experiences off-campus, you just get used to not being lazy and next to the school all the time. I also got really sick of on-campus food in res, whereas you have more choice off-campus. BUT you also need to spare time to cook off-campus (or rely on parents' frozen food =D).

Nevertheless, it's always interesting to experience living in res at least once ...which res did you get into?
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:37 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I dont like the idea that you cant see the room and have to take it as is. Just a big red flag to me.
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:11 AM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

I loved living off campus first year, I can't recommend it highly enough. But taking a place sight unseen is really sketchy. I might recommend living on campus if you can't find a different place, but the OCRC will definitely be able to help you find a better place.
Old 07-17-2010 at 02:32 AM   #10
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I'd never take a place I couldn't see first. The landlord is legally able to show you the exact apartment you'll be living in, provided they give the current tenant sufficient notice. If they won't, chances are there's some problem they don't want you to know about. I'd stay away. There's a shit ton of student rentals available this time of year.

Also, if you have any questions about leases, or any other general renting questions, feel free to PM me. I've been renting for 10+ years, and know my shit pretty well.
Westdale Hou
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-17-2010 at 06:05 PM   #11
chiefjustice

Don't sign a lease for a place that you haven't even seen! It sounds very shifty, if you ask me. I would demand to see the place first, or else don't sign.

If you decide to act against this advice, and you end up having a problem, you should call or go to Hamilton Community Legal Clinic (Dundurn location at Jackson Square is closest) where they can give you free legal advice on what to do and possibly representation depending on the circumstances. I don't think the Off-Campus Housing Resource Office should be giving out legal advice or reviewing contracts.
Old 07-18-2010 at 02:10 PM   #12
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Since you got offered a place on rez, you should take that. Like everyone's been saying, it's sketchy to rent a place without even seeing it. Besides, a little on-campus experience won't hurt Ahh, lucky you. I might've stayed on-campus if my marks were high enough.
Old 07-18-2010 at 02:45 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Living on campus can be ridiculously expensive. $850 for a 2 bedroom apartment, shared with a roommate, is actually a pretty decent price! I wouldn't sign anything without seeing the apartment first, but other than that, I think it sounds good.