MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eye exams covered by UHIP ?? sun.shine Financial Aid 4 04-29-2010 11:12 PM
“My UHIP Summary” thing ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-23-2008 06:05 PM

Ohip/uhip Are Not Comparable Coverages?

Old 08-15-2007 at 10:26 AM   #1
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

Ohip/uhip Are Not Comparable Coverages?
in order to opt out of the msu insurance plans, we need comparable coverages. i called the msu to check if ohip and uhip were comparable coverages and they said, NO!
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:50 AM   #2
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Well yes, because they're not comparable, since the MSU insurance plans are intended to cover things that OHIP/UHIP doesn't cover. Since you mentioned UHIP I get the sense you're either an out-of-province or international student and may not be familiar with what our OHIP covers, but basically it just covers the cost of medical care - as in, doctor and hospital visits and procedures. That is an oversimplification, but one thing that it definitely does NOT cover for most people are prescription drugs, which is the main thing the MSU plan does cover (you are reimbursed 80% of the cost of the drug). The MSU plan also has some accident/disease insurance built in. You can see everything it covers here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/health/coverage.php

The MSU dental plan is a similar story - OHIP does not pay for dental care, so it would appear that unless you have coverage through a private insurance provider, you won't be able to opt out of that, either.
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:53 AM   #3
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

will we be given some sort of card for the msu coverage?
Old 08-15-2007 at 03:12 PM   #4
Cippi

Nope, you don't need one - you can do one of two things. Probably the most convenient is going to one of the participating pharmacies listed here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/health/pharmacies.php You simply show your student card, and you only have to pay 20% of the price of the drug when you check out (all the paperwork is filed by the pharmacy). Alternately, you can go to any pharmacy, pay the full price, and submit the receipt along with a claim form to the insurance company that is behind the plan (claim forms are available here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/health/claim.php). They'll then send you a cheque for 80% of the cost in a few weeks.

For dental, you can go to any dentist you want, and the instructions for filing a claim are here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/dental/claim.php Again, if it can be processed directly (so you don't have to pay up front), all you need is your student card.
Old 08-16-2007 at 05:23 PM   #5
livy_04

Liked: 0 Times

hey! I'm covered on my mom's Nortel healthcare plan. I think it's comparable; it covers way more than the list on the website u gave. Who should i contact to opt out of the Mac healthcare plan?
Old 08-16-2007 at 09:41 PM   #6
Cippi

You most likely are covered then, yes. For the opt-out procedure, this was just posted to the main MSU insurance plans page (found here: http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/index.php)
** MESSAGE FOR 2007-2008 STUDENTS **
IF YOU HAVE COMPARABLE COVERAGE YOU ARE ABLE TO OPT OUT AND RECEIVE A REFUND FOR THE INSURANCE PLAN FEES
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OPT OUT PERIOD FOR THE 2007-2008 YEAR DOES NOT START UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1, 2007.
STUDENTS MUST OPT OUT BY SEPTEMBER 28, 2007 IN ORDER TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND
THE ONLINE OPT OUT APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THIS PAGE STARTING SEPTEMBER 1, 2007.
THANK YOU
So you'd just fill out that form with whatever info they request (I think it's just the plan name and the policy number) and drop it off where they tell you to (probably the MSU office in the student centre). Hope that helped!
Old 09-13-2007 at 09:45 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Opt-out Ends On The 28th!

Fill Out Your Form Asap!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-14-2007 at 12:52 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

You can opt-out online, you don't need to fill out any forms and give them to the MSU office anymore.

Opt out online here
Old 09-15-2007 at 06:47 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Actually, from what I understand Compass no longer has opt-out forms like tney did in the past. Everything is exclusively online now.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-12-2008 at 11:14 PM   #10
Gurleen

Okay, so for a prescription drug I would pay 20%...but if I need to see a dentist while @ Mac, I am FULLY covered?
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:59 AM   #11
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

It depends on what you're going to them for.
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/health/dental/coverage.php
This site states how much of what is covered by the dental plan. You can check what you may be going to the dentist for and see if it is covered and by how much.
Old 08-13-2008 at 11:52 PM   #12
Gurleen

Thanks so much! I just have one more question. If I go see my dentist now, I can go online and submit a claim to be reimbursed? (I read that I can't make a claim until the end of September b/c of the black out period). Or is the plan not in effect until a certain date?
Old 08-13-2008 at 11:55 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Um, I don't think you are covered until you actually start attending school...
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:15 AM   #14
moonlight

hey..i have a question...does every student attending Mac gets covered under UHIP?? and does it show on your payment agreement??
Old 08-14-2008 at 12:18 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I just read that coverage for dental and health starts september 1.

Only international and out of province students get UHIP. Ontarians already have OHIP.